Best for brunoise/fine dice?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
parkerj2

Best for brunoise/fine dice?

Post by parkerj2 »

Can't seem to get my cuts small enough with my large Gyuto or Nikiri knives.

Paring knife - knuckles hit the board, not ideal.

I'm an "advanced" home cook i'd say - spent a number of years in kitchens and have pretty solid knife skills.

Budget ~$300, not partial to any type of steel.

just looking to see what everyone prefers for the SMALLEST of dices - garnishes, brunoise for a sauce or braise, etc.

thanks in advance!!
JASinIL2006

Re: Best for brunoise/fine dice?

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I personally like a laser-ish knife for that sort of dicing. I'd be looking at something along the lines of a 210 gyuto like Konosuke HD2 or Kei Kobayashi or similar. I really like something with a wickedly thin tip that makes the horizontal cuts easy.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I was going to recommend a Nakiri, but I see you have already tried those! I am not sure if a Bunka or Funayuki may be better than a nakiri or not? A little curve to the edge may help versus the straighter nakiri edge? Thin behind the edge and thin tip would really help!

I usually don't do tiny dices, so I am curious to see what others use! I used a 250mm gyuto to dice up jalapenos on Saturday, but they were maybe 3/32" or so pieces? That's about as small as I go dicing wise!
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Technique over everything, high refinement on a thin edge and an accurate grind help. A new knife might not get you any closer than what you are already using; however, my three favorite knives for tiny tiny are Moritaka’s 180 Nakiri, Ogata SG2 240, and Harukaze srs15 210.

Practice practice practice and remember right comes before now
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Gihei makes a couple nice tall pettys for good knuckle clearance that you might enjoy. Some very good cutting knives.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ColonelJLloyd

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

I second the laser rec, but giant K Sabs and Wustofs have done this work for decades so there is obviously no single "right" answer.

Personally, I prefer a larger knife for julienne/brunoise cuts. I have a 150mm Gihei B#2 petty, but reach for my 235mm Kono HD2 or CCK 1812 for fine dicing. I prefer both over my 210 Takeda gyuto for this work.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Agreed on technique above all else. But I think a flatter grind towards the laser end of the spectrum helps. I prefer a flatter profile for this kind of work. Best would be Shibata's Bunka. I also love Yoshikane's 210 K-tip Gyuto. I don't hesitate to use something really big -- say a 270 KS Gyuto -- so long as it has a pretty flat grind. I find it harder to be precise with a convexed workhorse, not matter how long or short.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Hehe you have to watch this!

I think you need a very thin tipped knife, I use a Takamura chromax santoku but I bet the gyuto or sg2 gyuto would work equally well.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I like this one. True laser for thin and precise cuts. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapswagy21.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:58 pm I like this one. True laser for thin and precise cuts. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapswagy21.html
Plus it is in stock at this moment.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.