Picky in-law

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
rsam95

Picky in-law

Post by rsam95 »

Hello, I was wanting to buy a set of Japanese knives for my somewhat picky brother-in-law for Christmas. I have decided on the maker Shiro Kama. His White #2 in Damascus steel really drew my attention by looks and price. I decided for a matching set I would purchase a Gyuto and Nakiri for him. My brother-in-law loves knives and cooking. He really takes care of them, so the extra maintenance of Hardened Steel I believe would not be a problem for him.

Now for my questions.
1. Is this a True quality knife, not glued or printed on Damascus? I’m Sorry, please forgive my ignorance. I by no means am I questioning the quality of the knives you carry but I’ve watched so many videos saying how easy it is to be fooled if you don’t know what your doing. And I definitely don’t know what I’m doing.
2. These knives are high carbon and The description says the Damascus will patina. Is this something to be concerned about or something to add character to the knife?
3. These knifes have a 61 HRC. Does this mean less or more prone to chipping?
4. Last Question, I’m a disabled Veteran, Do you guys offer and discount for Veterans?
5. Finally, I’m looking to spend $400 or so on a couple good quality knifes. I’m not firm set on a particular knife. So Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.
Richard Campbell
taz575

Re: Picky in-law

Post by taz575 »

Welcome!

The Shiro Kama pattern is in the steel itself and etched to being out the contrast in the steel. They use different types of steel in the damascus cladding in layers, so when they grind it and etch it, the different layers show. It will patina with use, but many of us dont mind that! The carbon steel (both the cladding and the core steel) can rust if left wet. I wash the knives by hand when done and fully dry with a fresh paper towel to make sure any water droplets are removed. No issues doing this! If he is one to let a knife sit for a while after use before cleaning, look at a stainless option.

Its the thinness behind the edge that will be the chipping concern. Japanese knives are thinner and harder than most of their western counterparts, so they are more precision cutting knives versus hack and cut stuff however you want knives. Good wood or plastic boards will help with less chipping. No glass boards or cutting on metal/countertops! I usually need less effort to cut with a Japanese knife, so the impact on the board by the edge is lessened.
rsam95

Post by rsam95 »

Ok, so now I have to decide which ones to get him. If you could only choose two styles, which would make the best “set” to own. I thought Gyuto and Nakiri. What about throwing in a small paring knife? Thanks
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

rsam95 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:41 pm Ok, so now I have to decide which ones to get him. If you could only choose two styles, which would make the best “set” to own. I thought Gyuto and Nakiri. What about throwing in a small paring knife? Thanks
The Nakiri is used for vegetables, if I remember correctly. Someone will leap in and correct me, if I'm wrong here. So, does the picky-in-law use lots of veggies that need cutting up? If not, then I'd wait on getting one. A petty might be a better choice in that case.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I used to love nakiris when I first got into Japanese knives and had 5 at one point. Then I got thinner gyuto and just use those on veggies instead! A bunka or double bevel funayuki may be a better small knife? I have a 165mm funayuki I would often use for smaller knife tasks, like if I was just cutting up a couple things for myself instead of getting a gyuto out. I rarely use a petty personally?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I personally think that a Gyuto for a main knife is best complimented with a 150-165mm Petty for smaller tasks and trimming proteins.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:29 am I personally think that a Gyuto for a main knife is best complimented with a 150-165mm Petty for smaller tasks and trimming proteins.
Yep a great combo. 👍👍
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:29 am I personally think that a Gyuto for a main knife is best complimented with a 150-165mm Petty for smaller tasks and trimming proteins.
---
This is what I would also recommend.
rsam95

Post by rsam95 »

I want to thank everyone for the help. I’m going with the Shiro Kamo White #2 Gyuto 210mm and the Shiro Kamo White #2 Tall Petty 125mm. What are your thoughts? Should I go with different Steel? I was drawn to the Damascus. Maybe blue? IDK
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

rsam95 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:59 pm I want to thank everyone for the help. I’m going with the Shiro Kamo White #2 Gyuto 210mm and the Shiro Kamo White #2 Tall Petty 125mm. What are your thoughts? Should I go with different Steel? I was drawn to the Damascus. Maybe blue? IDK
Excellent knives in a very good steel. As long as you don't mind the extra care of carbon you made a good choice.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I'm a bit like Taz here, in that I mainly have gyutos and I pair those with a bunka (which I find really versatile) and a couple of paring knives.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
polytope

Post by polytope »

Thanks for your service.

Either steel (white or blue) will be fine. At a high level, they're very similar: they eventually need sharpening, they want to be kept dry, they prioritize hardness over toughness, etc. In fact, you might want to spend a little time (or money, or both) figuring out how he's going to maintain and restore the edge. For example, maybe set aside a bit of budget for a strop or a ceramic rod; or call around his area to find a trustworthy sharpener you could recommend to him.

If he's handy with a knife and doesn't have tight counter space then you might consider a 240mm rather than a 210mm.

The damascus patterning is purely an aesthetic choice, with no real relationship to the old Persian steel. Would your brother in law scoff at a car with a racing stripe or a matte paint job? If so then consider skipping the damascus. Personally, I find it attractive on most knives.