Knives-n'-Cabbages

ronnie_suburban

Re: Knives-n'-Cabbages

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:38 pm Pretty cool Ronnie. I haven't seen anyone do this since I used to watch my grandfather do this back in the 70's when I was in grade school. Brings back some nice old memories!
With me, my grandparents tried but I was just too stubborn to let them. They routinely made sauerkraut, pickles, horseradish, etc. And get this, my grandfather was actually a butcher who used to routinely sharpen his knives in the evenings when I was at his house. He'd often call me over to watch but I was a whiny little brat who refused to pay much attention. I picked up a few things mostly by osmosis but the things they did seemed so old world to me and for whatever reason, it kind of freaked me out. We lived in the suburbs and I didn't want to be from the old country (or have anything to do with it)!

I'm so sorry now that I didn't pay more attention then. And it's funny how many things I do now that they did then. Sadly, instead of drawing upon the vast pool of knowledge they tried to share with me when I was younger, I find info mainly in books and on the internet. Not saying those sources aren't great too but I really passed up a golden opportunity. :oops:
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ronnie_suburban

Right on schedule, the salt+cabbage+elbow grease combo worked its magic. Here's what was left in the 5-gallon pail this morning, after about 20 hours of intermingling, mixing and pounding . . .

Salted Pre-Kraut
It's hard to tell from here but this was full to just above the 1-gallon mark. Almost like it was barely there. Hard to believe this was 20 pounds of raw cabbage -- 5 big heads -- just a few hours ago.

On the other hand, next it went into the 'official' 5-liter pickling crock, where it nearly filled the entire vessel. From here, it will ferment for a couple of weeks . . .

Pickling Crock
The moat is full of water and I positioned the lid right after I snapped this pic.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

The weekly slaw rides again . . .

Green Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Carrot & Myojin Riki Seisakusho SG2 Gyuto, 180mm

I have this knife in 240mm and 210mm, and I love it. Decided to buy one more in 180mm, mainly for Mrs. Suburban. We'll see if it takes. Not sure if I can pry that Henckels out of her hand. ;)
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Posted this on the cooking thread but wanted to keep the documentation going here, too. Another weekly slaw . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I need to investigate why I don't have that knife yet! :geek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Christmas (week) slaw . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Yoshikane SKD Nashiji Gyuto, 210mm
=R=
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

That Yoshikane is on my short list, in general how do you like it please?
What do you think of the SKD steel?
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
ronnie_suburban

billk1002 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:48 pm That Yoshikane is on my short list, in general how do you like it please?
What do you think of the SKD steel?
So far, I'm loving it but I've only used it a few times. Ootb sharpness is among the best I've ever experienced. Not that it totally matters because eventually, it'll need to be sharpened like every other knife but it was noticeable and quite fun. The profile lines up well with my natural cutting motion. The grind (and perhaps the nashiji finish, too) is especially functional in the way of food release, at least with most items that aren't too small. Garlic cloves aren't tall enough to meet the bevel, so slices gripped a bit but anything larger gets pushed away as the knife goes through it. It's nimble, nicely balanced and attractive. As for the steel, until I use it a bit more, see how long the edge holds, and eventually sharpen it, I just won't know for sure. But initially, I like it.
=R=
cliff

Post by cliff »

I haved the hammered version, the 210 Ktip is as thin as anything I've seen behind the edge, including Shibata. I also have a 180 Gyuto that doesn't feel quite as thin. The Ktip's edge was pretty fragile out of the box. I had some micro-chipping removing the root of garlic, but nothing major. I haven't had an issue since I gave it a full sharpening. The edge has been holding well for quite awhile. I don't really have a feel for just how long yet, since I don't use it as a main knife.
Tarak83

Post by Tarak83 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:18 pm Christmas (week) slaw . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Yoshikane SKD Nashiji Gyuto, 210mm
Woof that is one nice looking knife. Been going back through these posts and you've got a pretty solid stable of cutters!
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:51 pm I need to investigate why I don't have that knife yet! :geek:
Same Jeff!

Ronnie, you have a solid collection. What are your thoughts on it or what does it compare to in your mind? I have more 240’s than I need, ha, but wanted to add a few 210’s. This is on the short list.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
ronnie_suburban

MisoSatisfried wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:06 am
Jeff B wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:51 pm I need to investigate why I don't have that knife yet! :geek:
Same Jeff!

Ronnie, you have a solid collection. What are your thoughts on it or what does it compare to in your mind? I have more 240’s than I need, ha, but wanted to add a few 210’s. This is on the short list.
There's a lot to like about the Yoshikane SKD Nashiji Gyuto but I especially like the grind -- specifically, the pronounced bevel -- which seems to do an exceptional job of pushing food away from the blade after it's sliced. It was notably sharp ootb, which was fun but I'm not sure that's ever a reason to buy a knife (they all need sharpening eventually). It's also quite a looker, which never hurts. Cutting-wise, it reminds me a bit of my Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm. Similar bevels and beefiness but still some notable refinements, especially in the tips and balance points, which make them both refreshingly versatile. There are, no doubt, others and as they come to mind, I'll try to come back and mention them.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

The first weekly slaw of 2023 . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Konosuke Tetsujin Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
Just can't seem to put this knife down.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:08 pm ...Konosuke Tetsujin Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
Another one of those knives where I could kick myself for not jumping on it when I had the chance. Doubt we'll ever see anymore of those.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:41 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:08 pm ...Konosuke Tetsujin Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
Another one of those knives where I could kick myself for not jumping on it when I had the chance. Doubt we'll ever see anymore of those.
When these came in on 1/05/2021, I sat and waited for them to be grabbed up. After an hour or so, there was still one left, and my resistance failed. I figure I gave everyone else a fair chance at it. I'm still too nervous to use it. :oops: Guess I should get over myself and pull it out of its box and use it.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
gladius

Post by gladius »

XexoX wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:04 pmWhen these came in on 1/05/2021, I sat and waited for them to be grabbed up. After an hour or so, there was still one left, and my resistance failed. I figure I gave everyone else a fair chance at it. I'm still too nervous to use it. :oops: Guess I should get over myself and pull it out of its box and use it.
---
Get over yourself and use it - make the maker proud. :P
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

XexoX wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:04 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:41 pm
...I'm still too nervous to use it. :oops: Guess I should get over myself and pull it out of its box and use it.
No, you should sell it to me! :D
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:41 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:41 pm Another one of those knives where I could kick myself for not jumping on it when I had the chance. Doubt we'll ever see anymore of those.
...I'm still too nervous to use it. :oops: Guess I should get over myself and pull it out of its box and use it.
LOL . . . well, definitely one or the other. If you're not going to use it, no reason not to sell it, right? :)
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:41 pm Another one of those knives where I could kick myself for not jumping on it when I had the chance. Doubt we'll ever see anymore of those.
I would never do that to you Sir Jeff! I'm sure Big Red gets too cold in the winter for you to be sleeping in it. :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

XexoX wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:26 pm
XexoX wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:04 pm ...I'm still too nervous to use it. :oops: Guess I should get over myself and pull it out of its box and use it.
I would never do that to you Sir Jeff! I'm sure Big Red gets too cold in the winter for you to be sleeping in it. :mrgreen:
Hey don't worry about me, I've got a really warm sleeping bag! 8-)