Green Brick of Joy or Chosera Pro 3000?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
gladius

Re: Green Brick of Joy or Chosera Pro 3000?

Post by gladius »

CoryS wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:27 pm The Shapton Pro 1000 arrived and is exactly what I was looking for. Does a great job and is easy; and using the case as a base is an added win.
Can probably stop here, finishing up with alternating softer and softer passes, but feel like adding a finer stone would really top things off.
Would the Shapton Pro 5000 probably be the move (to nicely complement the 1000)?
Thanks again.
---
Try a natural stone: the Belgian Blue << is a great stone with a wide range of finish depending on how you use it. It is splash-and-go, easy to use, inexpensive, does not need a Nagura and produces an excellent finished edge!
CoryS

Post by CoryS »

Are you talking for your own knives or for using on others knives? If for others knives don't waste the time with the 5k.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Pro 5k, and like most, it's mostly hate. I have the Pro 8k and really like it. I've found that going from the Pro 1k to the 8k gives you a very good edge with a nice balance of bite and polish.

Others' knives and my own cheapies.
Thanks.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

CoryS wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:27 pm The Shapton Pro 1000 arrived and is exactly what I was looking for. Does a great job and is easy; and using the case as a base is an added win.
Can probably stop here, finishing up with alternating softer and softer passes, but feel like adding a finer stone would really top things off.
Would the Shapton Pro 5000 probably be the move (to nicely complement the 1000)?
Thanks again.
I have the Pro 5K and use it weekly and like it a lot, it is a hard stone like the Pro 1K, very enjoyable to use if you like a hard stone like the 1K.
If you are sharpening your own cheaper knives you might want to consider the Pro 2K it will leave a much more refined edge and is another fantastic stone to use. The Pro 2K will also work on the higher Rockwell steels and will remove most of the toothy edge left from the 1K.
I have found over the last few years sharpening my friends knives that they prefer the edge off of the 1K much more than the edge off of the 5K, they like that toothy bite into the product feel and most people are not nut jobs like us over knives who feel the need to cut newspaper every time they walk by there knife rack.

Just to put it in perspective, I own the Pro 5K, Rika 5K, Kramer 5K and Debado 6K and regularly switch between them because I just enjoy sharpening.
The Kramer 5K is my favorite it cuts faster than the Pro 5K.

If you would like to step up your sharpening game I would recommend watching the video by Pete Nowland on the different pressure's to use, it will allow you to get the maximum performance from the Pro 1K that you already own.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
CoryS

Post by CoryS »

billk1002 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:54 am If you would like to step up your sharpening game I would recommend watching the video by Pete Nowland on the different pressure's to use, it will allow you to get the maximum performance from the Pro 1K that you already own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtatnyLz8YM