Non kitchen stuff!

Taz575 is back! Located in Connecticut, Tim Johnson (TAZ575) is once again offering rehandles, regrinds and full custom knife services. I make kitchen cutlery, fillet and hunting/butchering knives and EDC fixed blades as well as my own unique fabric and carbon fiber based handle materials.

Moderator: Marko Tsourkan

taz575

Non kitchen stuff!

Post by taz575 »

Haven't had a chance to do much kitchen stuff lately. Got a 31 blade package back from the heat treat place, so I have been trying to get caught up on my other orders!

These are just about done! Gotta glue the handle and guard onto the little double edge poker, sharpen, etch and sheath both knives. Nitro V steel, larger one is a 4" blade, both have blue camo fabric handles on them. Guy wanted a double edge tuna bleeder knife and a 4" drop point for heavier work on tuna, like cutting and removing the collar and also bait prep:
blue camo tunas.jpg
Did a memorial Bird and Trout for a buddy in my fish and game club in memory of his son who committed suicide a few years ago. 4" Nitro V and custom Rainbow Trout scales. Shown with the blue camo tuna knife:
fishy.jpg
Working on 4 knives for my nephews for Christmas! I wanted to make a fixed blade version of the Benchmade Bugout pocket knife. The boys like blues and greens, so I went with blue/green camo fabric handles! Steel is Magnacut and blade is just under 3" long. First one is just about done! Needs the blade cleaned up a bit and epoxied into the handle and etched. Debating between leather sheaths or blue kydex sheaths.
FBBO.jpg
Kinda kitchen related, but this set of 8 steak knives is from premade blanks. Walnut bolster, black and white G10 handles with orange pins:
steak.jpg
taz575

Re: Non kitchen stuff!

Post by taz575 »

4" Magnacut hunter with blue water camo handle scales:
BWC MC.jpg
AEB-L Pokers:
pokers3.jpg
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Some better pics!
319897636_1221943605057294_4636572933241325091_n.jpg
MCBGC.jpg
HWBT.jpg
MCBGC2.jpg
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Knife in a day! 4" Magnacut drop point with Orange SureTouch scales. Started as a hardened blank at 0820am yesterday and finished etching the logo after sharpening at 520pm yesterday! Last minute Christmas order that I got last week!
MCoh.jpg
MCOh2.jpg
mcoh start 0820.jpg
jimping mcoh.jpg
Rafael

Post by Rafael »

Hello,

The design is really beautiful. I like it.
My site on this link : kinkyfay.com
taz575

Post by taz575 »

My nephews got their knives Saturday!
4 MCBD.jpg
My godson, Michael, was the first one to cut himself with it :roll: I got my brother and his wife a Ken Onion WorkSharp so they can sharpen knives with it and Michael asked me to sharpen the knife I made him because "it doesn't feel sharp". I told him it was stupid sharp and could shave. 15 minutes later, he asks if anyone has a bandaid. We all started laughing and he said he didn't even feel the cut. I guess he believes me that it is sharp now!
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

taz575 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:33 am My nephews got their knives Saturday!

4 MCBD.jpg

My godson, Michael, was the first one to cut himself with it :roll: I got my brother and his wife a Ken Onion WorkSharp so they can sharpen knives with it and Michael asked me to sharpen the knife I made him because "it doesn't feel sharp". I told him it was stupid sharp and could shave. 15 minutes later, he asks if anyone has a bandaid. We all started laughing and he said he didn't even feel the cut. I guess he believes me that it is sharp now!
Yep love this. I have have seen this happen. It cracks me up.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yup! He's like 14 and knows it all! We were all wondering who would be the first one to cut themselves and I had a feeling it was going to be him! I've given them other knife gifts in the past. Case Stockman with jigged bone handles, the oldest 2 got little folders I made from a kit, they have machetes I did from kits and dulled the edges on so they wouldn't get hurt (they were like 5 or 6 when they got those!) and a multi tool. This is the first full custom knife they have. Magnacut gets stupid sharp!!!
taz575

Re: Non kitchen stuff and some readily available stuff!

Post by taz575 »

I have a few EDC blades available now! Some Damascus, some stainless, some tool steel. 3-4" blades, prices between $150 and $200!
2022 lo.jpg
And a 5160 chopper, also $200!
2022 ch.jpg
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Hey Tim, out of curiosity, have you ever done a puukko style knife before? Puukkos have become my favorite looking, and arguably favorite performing small outdoor knives. I have considered trying to make one myself eventually, or maybe having one made if I can scrounge up the funds.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I have done them with Lauri, Helle and Brisa/Enzo blanks before. I want to make a few coming up soon! I have some 80crv2 and 52100 I may make some out of. Probably do a synthetic ferrule, leather stack handle with a wood end cap?