Kitchen Shears

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Turkeyleg41

Kitchen Shears

Post by Turkeyleg41 »

Hi everyone. Anyone have any recommendations for kitchen shears?? I’m thinking of spatchcocking a turkey this Thanksgiving and I may as well look into the right tool for the job. Thanks!
XexoX

Re: Kitchen Shears

Post by XexoX »

I use Tojiro Kitchen Shears and like them. Can't remember if I've used them on a turkey or not though. They do work great on a chicken.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Love your name in reference to the question! :D

I too have been using a pair of Tojiro FG-3500 kitchen shears for a few years now. They are used pretty much exclusively to spatchcock organic chickens in the range of 4-6lbs. They perform very well for this task and the few times that I have hit the thigh bone, when cutting out the backbone, they were able to take the punishment without damage, and cut through, just with significant effort on my part.

As for the quality, its very good. Even after around maybe 75ish chickens (WAG), they aren't loose at the pivot point more than the slightest wiggle and mine are still sharp enough to briskly slice through notebook paper. The steel in them has held up well with no chips or deformation of the cutting edge. The handles are smooth and fairly comfortable if only doing a few birds. The black paint? on the handles has not worn in the least. I would recommend these to anyone with one negative comment: these don't come apart for sharpening. The FK-843's do though. But your looking to spend about double. You can decide if that is worthwhile to you in the long run, but I am very happy with my $25 Tojiro shears.

Tojiro Kitchen Shears (FK-843)
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-k ... hears.html

Tojiro Kitchen Shears (FG-3500)
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiroshears.html
Turkeyleg41

Post by Turkeyleg41 »

Thanks guys. I do like the idea of taking them apart for easier sharpening. So you’re pretty confident I wouldn’t have a problem using these for a Turkey? This would be the primary function. They seem to be around the same size as the Mac shears as well. Anyone have any thoughts on comparing the two?
cliff

Post by cliff »

I have the Tojiro shears. They are great for chicken, but they are not up to the Turkeys I get -- around 18-20lbs. Even if you pop the leg sockets, those birds are just too big. Maybe full-sized Mac shears would do the job? I tend to use a cleaver.
Turkeyleg41

Post by Turkeyleg41 »

cliff wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:41 am I have the Tojiro shears. They are great for chicken, but they are not up to the Turkeys I get -- around 18-20lbs. Even if you pop the leg sockets, those birds are just too big. Maybe full-sized Mac shears would do the job? I tend to use a cleaver.
Oh that’s interesting. What particular cleaver would you recommend?
trancher

Post by trancher »

Turkeyleg41 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:20 am Thanks guys. I do like the idea of taking them apart for easier sharpening. So you’re pretty confident I wouldn’t have a problem using these for a Turkey?
I honestly haven't done a turkey with mine, just chickens.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Turkeyleg41 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:18 pm
cliff wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:41 am I have the Tojiro shears. They are great for chicken, but they are not up to the Turkeys I get -- around 18-20lbs. Even if you pop the leg sockets, those birds are just too big. Maybe full-sized Mac shears would do the job? I tend to use a cleaver.
Oh that’s interesting. What particular cleaver would you recommend?
Honestly, not mine. It's like hand-to-hand combat. I have an old Wusthof stainless. The steel is soft, and it gets the job done. But it's not exactly ideal. I've been meaning to get something more substantial, but big birds are really all I need it for.
Turkeyleg41

Post by Turkeyleg41 »

Lol so i’m not reading any strong recommendations for shears specific to a Turkey. It seems like chickens are no problem but Turkeys are a whole different bird lol. Gobble gobble
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’ve used tojiro shears on Turkey and they work to spatchcock. My sister uses wusthof shears and they are effective. Cleavers and heavy knives are quicker, but come with more risk.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I have Tojiro and Shun kitchen shears...but for spatchcocking poultry I use and recommend the OXO Good Grips Spring-Loaded Poultry Shears <<. See review.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I think those Oxo shears look good, and the full-sized Mac shears stand a better chance than Tojiro. How big are the birds you get?
LarryAllDay

Post by LarryAllDay »

I’ve never tried on turkey but these silky shears works great on chicken and bunch of other stuff.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sikchpr70kis.html
If most conventional kitchen tools fail I usually resort to Home Depot for other commercial grade alternatives. I’ve used these guys on lamb racks before, they’ll prolly work on turkey.
Attachments
image.jpg
cliff

Post by cliff »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:09 am I’ve used tojiro shears on Turkey and they work to spatchcock. My sister uses wusthof shears and they are effective. Cleavers and heavy knives are quicker, but come with more risk.
The size of the bird matters a lot. In the Serious Eats article, they used 12-13lb birds. I could see Tojiro working with those fine. For an 18-20lb Turkey, something sturdier will be required.
Turkeyleg41

Post by Turkeyleg41 »

Usually the turkey is around 15 pounds. Are these the full size macs? https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mackish.html
cliff

Post by cliff »

Turkeyleg41 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:38 pm Usually the turkey is around 15 pounds. Are these the full size macs? https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mackish.html
Yes, that's what I would use, or the Oxo ones mentioned above.
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

Mac are the best shears i have used. I had the black handle Tojiros, and i prefer the "regular scissors" shape.

Super comfortable in hand and dont have any hesitation when splitting lobster shell