Notifications

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Notifications

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

One of our members contacted me about this. Anyone have a solution? I don't ever get email about threads but I haven't tried.

I have email notifications setup in my board preferences for "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed", "Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed", and "Someone sends you a private message" but I cant recall ever seeing one. Nothing in the spam folder (Gmail). I do see notifications in the upper right when I come to the forum. I dont think email notifications are working and just wanted to let someone know. Thanks!
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
XexoX

Re: Notifications

Post by XexoX »

I still get emails when I get a private message. I'm not subscribed to any topics, so I don't know about the rest, but I do have them marked to send an email, if I was subscribed. Has he checked to make sure there isn't a typo in his email address?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
enjay

Post by enjay »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:20 am One of our members contacted me about this. Anyone have a solution? I don't ever get email about threads but I haven't tried.

I have email notifications setup in my board preferences for "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed", "Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed", and "Someone sends you a private message" but I cant recall ever seeing one. Nothing in the spam folder (Gmail). I do see notifications in the upper right when I come to the forum. I dont think email notifications are working and just wanted to let someone know. Thanks!
I got here by clicking on a notification email, so seems to be working fine on my end.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Maybe it was a temporary issue. Thanks.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
zekepa

Post by zekepa »

See this topic in the FAQ about how to subscribe to a topic. app.php/help/faq#f8r1
I had to look it up as I haven't subscribed to a topic before.

Secondly click on your user name in the upper right of the screen
Select "User Control Panel"
Click on the "Board Preferences" Tab
Then click on "Edit Notifications options"
Make sure the email option is checked for "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed"

I subscribed to this topic after doing the above and got an email notification when there was a reply.

Hope that helps. On some of the other forums I'm on they automatically subscribe you to the topic when you reply, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

On the board Preferences Tab there is also a "Edit posting defaults" option
Checking the "Notify me upon replies by default:" Option may subscribe you automatically. I really don't know what that option does.
Thunder's just a noise, boys, lightnin' does the work - Chad Brock lyrics
zekepa

Post by zekepa »

zekepa wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:20 pm On some of the other forums I'm on they automatically subscribe you to the topic when you reply, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

On the board Preferences Tab there is also a "Edit posting defaults" option
Checking the "Notify me upon replies by default:" Option may subscribe you automatically. I really don't know what that option does.
I filled the radio button next to the "Notify me upon replies by default:" option. Then made a post in a popular topic, purposely did not subscribe to the topic.

When a reply was posted in the topic I received an email notification.

It does appear as though "Notify me upon replies by default:" will subscribe you to any thread you post in.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

The email notifications seem to be working now but there was maybe a week where I didn't get any notification emails. Yes, I am subscribed. Yes, my profile preferences are setup correctly. Yes, the site had notification in the upper right notifications section. Just no email. Not in the spam folder either or any random labels (Gmail).

I mentioned to Mark that it probably has to do with the email authentication (DKIM and SPF) for his site not being setup correctly which is why Gmail has the big warning about not being able to authenticate the email. They (Google) play with their algorithms a lot and sometimes spam gets through and sometimes stuff that isn't spam doesn't get through. I work in tech and have done a lot of this type of work. I am not trying to make any money off of this. I just want to be part of some conversations and it's easier when the site works.

I can elaborate, but I come here to talk about kitchen knives and sharpening them.
Sam
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

No email notifications today. Yes, I am subscribed to the topic (Strop Paste Question over in Sharpening Advice). No, it's not in the spam folder or anywhere else in "All Mail" in Gmail. Yes, I gave it a few minutes. :(
Sam
zekepa

Post by zekepa »

This is the only topic I'm subscribed to. I got an email notification of your reply at 12:09 so it took a hour from your post. just offering data
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

zekepa wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:45 am This is the only topic I'm subscribed to. I got an email notification of your reply at 12:09 so it took a hour from your post. just offering data
Thanks! I have not gotten any notifications today and there should have been some. Looking in the upper right notifications area there are none up there either so maybe it's an issue with my account. All of the boxes are checked for notifications in the edit notifications options section of my profile.
Sam
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I think I figured something out here. I was digging through my profile and found the manage subscriptions settings and noticed there were only a couple of things in there. Somehow the Notify me upon replies by default setting in board preferences got turned off and I wasn't actually being subscribed to places I posted (even though it looked like I was). So, I think I fixed notifications in my profile and got subscribed to places I've been posting. Strange though as it was working until pretty recently. I'll just check in once in a while in case the emails aren't getting through. If whoever manages the chefknivestogoforums.com domain wants help with fixing the email authentication feel free to reach out.
Sam
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

It worked! I just got a notification. Yay! :D
Sam
zekepa

Post by zekepa »

congrats. I looked at my email this morning. I got a notification of your 6:45 pm post at 7:45 pm so exactly an hour later like the post from earlier today. Started thinking maybe I had a time zone set differently. just checked now and the notification of your 7:13 am post came in at 7:34am so it must not be a time zone thing as the last notification was 11 minutes after the post.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

For anyone interested here are too many details which have nothing to do with kitchens, knives, or sharpening them.

I have attached a picture of the main authentication issue where DKIM (Domain Keys Identified Mail) is failing. Anyone can see this by viewing the details of one of the emails from chefknivestogoforums.com (Show Original in Gmail under the three dots menu). Messages which fail DKIM are viewed by spam filters to have a high likelihood of being spam/phishing because the authentication is setup but failed. Stop for a second and consider how an algorithm which knows nothing of the relationship of the sender and receiver can classify a message as spam.

There are also two SPF (Sender Policy Framework) records and per the standard there is only allowed to be one, so one of those DNS records needs to be removed. Because the two records are different this may result in some messages intermittently failing when the wrong record is checked. This is easy but while your at it this would be a good time to make sure it's correct.
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?ac ... n=toolpage

How do you make sure the authentication is correct and working? I am glad you asked! I am usually the guy coming in to fix these types of things so I have to assume nothing. I like to setup DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance) and look at the reports it sends to see where all of the email comes from (legitimate or spoofed). Because I am usually a "break/fix" type of contractor working to fix a specific issue and have nothing at stake I like to teach the domain owner how to do this so they can easily spot issues in the future. I have found the free DMARC reports from Postmarkapp to be very helpful as the domain owner can look at a once per week report for 10 seconds and know that everything is OK. As a side note, if you set this up please do not put your email in there, create an alias such as dmarc @ mydomain.com to receive the reports (an alias is not another user, just a different address for messages to be delivered to you). https://dmarc.postmarkapp.com/

For a forum like this maybe it isn't a high priority but for ecommerce it is critical that receipts make it to the customer. If a business is paying for a newsletter or marketing service they tend to appreciate those messages arriving also, but that is a whole different can of worms (summary: can you prove in court that your audience signed up to receive these messages? Also, don't spam people).

Did anyone read this far? Probably not. But if this helps anyone then it was worth it.
Attachments
CKTGF-DKIM.png
Sam
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I noticed that it seems there were new posts put up that I didn't see until it was hours later? I wonder if a Time Zone thing somewhere got changed or reset? I got emails about replies to new posts, but when I visited the forum, I didn't see the new posts until a few hours after they were posted? Never noticed that before?
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

taz575 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:32 am I noticed that it seems there were new posts put up that I didn't see until it was hours later? I wonder if a Time Zone thing somewhere got changed or reset? I got emails about replies to new posts, but when I visited the forum, I didn't see the new posts until a few hours after they were posted? Never noticed that before?
Yeah, something odd was going on. Maybe the gerbil that delivers them took a break? Who knows...
Sam
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

This issue has come up again. I have not gotten any email notification for topics I am subscribed to since back on 11/9, but I have been getting the notifications in the upper right notification area here on the site and I checked that I am subscribed to topics and my profile is setup to get the emails still. Basically, I didn't change anything and the emails just stopped. Nothing is in spam or anywhere else, they just didn't show up.
Sam
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I'm not subscribed to any topics or forums but just to add a data point, I'm no longer receiving email notifications for PM's. Not sure when this stopped working. Thanks.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, I am noticing that I am not getting email notifications again
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Putting up a couple of sell threads has made me notice that I'm not getting email notifications for anything anymore...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.