Recommendations

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Recommendations

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I have an idea. What about putting a button on the item pages or on the header where customers can click on it, and our recommendation form pops up, which they can then fill out? Then it gets emailed directly to me. I know new customers struggle with all the terminology and the large selection and I think I can add value to their shopping experience if they could get a hold of me quickly and easily.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jeff B

Re: Recommendations

Post by Jeff B »

It's certainly worth a try just to see how it goes over with your customers. It may be a big help to many just as adding Steve's videos were.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

There's a lot to consider here. I think such a thing would be most effective if it was a fillable form with drop-down menus, which would really help less experienced people navigate the vocabulary. However, making such lists would be very, very difficult as a user interface, because most recommendation requests are quite open rather than specific (for example: steel types are often categories, not steels, such as carbon or stainless-clad carbon, but other things, like length or handle type, are often quite specific and would be easy to list as drop-down options; type of knife is often in-between, with lots of people saying they want "something" in a "range" but leaving it open to a petty or gyuto, or a small suji or large petty, or a bunka or nakiri, etc.).

The other issue I see here is that fewer people have knowledge of the very broad selection you carry, which makes recommendations difficult and also suggests that processing more recommendations faster will create more demands for a limited selection of already popular products while leaving other great options on the shelves.

So, a great idea, but also a big challenge!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

How about laying out what options are available to pick from, wa versus western, carbon versus stainless, blade length, price point, etc. Give them something to choose from?
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."