Knives-n'-Cabbages

gingertimmins

Re: Knives-n'-Cabbages

Post by gingertimmins »

As far as I can tell this knife has a 70/30 grind. Ive never sharpened one before and I’m a bit apprehensive because I know how sharp it could be and how sharp it probably won’t be once I’ve had a go on the stones 😂
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

gladius wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:18 pm The Toyama 210 Nakiri is so efficient at slaw prep...

Slaw for two...

Love ❤️ my 210 Toyama. Fine julienned carrots etc. it might be my favorite knive for the task.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

More holiday get-together prep -- 4th of July Weekend-edition slaw . . .

Red Cabbage, Green Cabbage, Carrot & Konosuke Fujiyama FM Blue #2 gyuto, 240mm
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Red & Green Cabbage, Red Onion and Granny Smith Apple tossed with Apple Cider Vinegar and Mayo prepared with Toyama 180 Nakiri...
See what's for lunch <<

homechef

Post by homechef »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:59 pm
gladius wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:18 pm The Toyama 210 Nakiri is so efficient at slaw prep...

Slaw for two...

Love ❤️ my 210 Toyama. Fine julienned carrots etc. it might be my favorite knive for the task.
How’s the balance on the 210? I went 180 and wonder if the extra weight from a 210 would be nice…!
gladius

Post by gladius »

homechef wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:44 pm
How’s the balance on the 210? I went 180 and wonder if the extra weight from a 210 would be nice…!
---
It is obviously blade forward and the weight aids in cutting tasks, especially on larger product: large dense cabbage, large thick carrots, etc..

The 180mm balances pretty much on the pinch grip...

While the 210mm a bit forward...

homechef

Post by homechef »

gladius wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:05 pm
---
It is obviously blade forward and the weight aids in cutting tasks, especially on larger product: large dense cabbage, large thick carrots, etc..

The 180mm balances pretty much on the pinch grip...

While the 210mm a bit forward...

Thanks. How convenient to have both sizes handy ;). I’m drooling a little bit over here!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:59 pm

Slaw for two...

Personally, I like the little extra weight and extra length. I think it ends up around 10.8 oz. To me, if I was ever to rock a Nakiri as my main knive, it would probably be this one. It just feels sort of complete an competent like it can handle most of anything. I still do prefer a cleaver’s scooping ability, but this has been my favorite and only nakiri I’ve kept.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

You guys are not helping my Toyama 210 lust!!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
gladius

Post by gladius »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:57 pm You guys are not helping my Toyama 210 lust!!
---
Get one while they are still available, he is getting old.
ronnie_suburban

Testing out a new addition on a not-so-weekly slaw . . .

Green Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Carrot & Kato AS Gyuto, 240mm

A chum alerted me to these sweet pieces being available, which I really appreciate. Looking forward getting more acquainted with it. It certainly handled the cabbage exceedingly well.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Another edition of the mostly-weekly slaw . . .

Green Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Carrot & Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto, 240mm
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I think that Kono SKD is going to be my next purchase, can't believe I've never gotten one, beautiful knife! 🔥🔪🔥
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:12 pm I think that Kono SKD is going to be my next purchase, can't believe I've never gotten one, beautiful knife! 🔥🔪🔥
You did have to slow down a bit on the knife buying, to avoid sleeping in Big Red so much.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

The weekly slaw rides again . . .

Green Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Carrot & Konosuke Fujiyama FM Blue #2 gyuto, 240mm
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Absolutely loving this knife, so before I move on to the next one in the rotation, I figured I'd use it to help crank out another 'weekly' slaw . . .

Green Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Carrot & Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto, 210mm
=R=
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

So tell us more Ronnie, what is it you like about this beaut exactly?
Shed some cabbage (or none-related) light ;-)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
ronnie_suburban

Altadan wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:48 am So tell us more Ronnie, what is it you like about this beaut exactly?
Shed some cabbage (or none-related) light ;-)
My first day with this knife involved some relatively big homecooking jobs, as I was prepping a large batch of sambal: stemming/trimming/quartering 10 pounds of cherry bomb peppers, finely mincing 200g of garlic and 100g of ginger. It handled those tasks very well and was extremely comfortable to use the entire way through. Later, I prepped for a Thai-style marinade, which provided a diverse set of tasks for further assessing the knife:

Shaving hard/grainy palm sugar
Mincing leathery chiles
Bruising and slicing dense/fibrous lemongrass
Mincing more garlic
And there were was the slaw above, plus a few other meal preps

Through it all, the edge (and spine) plowed through everything and the knife was exceptionally comfortable for me from beginning to end. Weight and balance point are both great fits for me; there was no wrist or hand fatigue. Ootb sharpness is sensational and the profile -- substantial flat area toward the heel, gentle upsweep toward the tip -- is also a really nice fit for my cutting style. As I mentioned on another thread, I like this one so much, I bought a second one for my brother. I'm looking forward to using it more and, when it eventually needs it, sharpening it. Though, that could be a while. ;)
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Taking a stab at a really big batch of sauerkraut, which started with 20 pounds of cabbage . . .

Cabbage Quarters & Kohetsu Blue #2 Tall Gyuto, 240mm (aka The Addict)

This was the knife I had in mind all along when thinking about this task. Wanted something beefy (to tackle parting and coring), easy to grip and ground/finished well for turning food away upon slicing it. It turned out to be a good choice. After trimming, parting, coring, etc., I ended up with roughly 15 pounds. Next step was the slicing, which I did with the food processor. I considered using my mandoline but I decided the food processor would do a tidier job. Due to the sheer volume involved here, at no point did I consider doing it by hand. The Addict would have handled it. My arm, not so much. :lol:

Once sliced, I dropped it all in a 5-gallon pail, added 2% pickling salt, mixed it all up and gave it a good pounding with a large wooden dowel . . .

Sliced, Salted & Pounded Cabbage

I'll repeat the pounding/mixing several more times over the next ~24 hours, until the cabbage gives up enough liquid to cover itself (in its own brine). At that point, I'll move it all to pickling crock, where it will continue to ferment for several more days (probably about 14). I still haven't decided if I'm going to add any other ingredients for the fermentation. I'll have to make that decision before I get to the crocking stage.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Pretty cool Ronnie. I haven't seen anyone do this since I used to watch my grandfather do this back in the 70's when I was in grade school. Brings back some nice old memories!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.