First S Grind Gyuto!

Taz575 is back! Located in Connecticut, Tim Johnson (TAZ575) is once again offering rehandles, regrinds and full custom knife services. I make kitchen cutlery, fillet and hunting/butchering knives and EDC fixed blades as well as my own unique fabric and carbon fiber based handle materials.

Moderator: Marko Tsourkan

taz575

First S Grind Gyuto!

Post by taz575 »

I finally got some time to play with my 36" Radius Platen from AmeriBrade. I heat treated some 52100 blades recently, but one of the gyuto's got a bit of a warp, so I decided to use that one to play with the radius platen. I cut a hollow on each side and then did a flat grind and then convexed it. Figured out to use some leather on the radius platen and it would let me go up a few more grits to get a nice belt satin finish. Worked pretty well on zucchini, but the warp bothered me

So I made a hammer with a carbide insert in one of the faces to peen the surface of the blade. Surface peening the blade will help straighten the blade out and I am happy to report that I was able to get the warp out! You peen on the inside of the curve and it will stretch the metal and straighten the blade. This is normally done before the blade is ground, so I wasn't able to fully remove all of the peening marks on the blade, but it straightened it out quite a bit!

9 7/8"/250mm cutting edge, 54mm/2 1/8" tall. Started as .100" stock. 182grams/6.4oz

Whole knife:
S gyuto 52100 main.jpg
S Grind shallow hollow:
S Grind1.jpg
Choil Shot:
S Choil.jpg
S Choil.jpg (28.83 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Fabric handle:
FH S Gyuto.jpg
I was able to get the handle to a higher finish by applying very thin super glue to the handle and then working up in grits from 320, 600, 1500. It seemed to take more of a shine and is smoother overall than the pass around handle, which was sanded to 2000 grit, but didn't have super glue applied.
Bensbites

Re: First S Grind Gyuto!

Post by Bensbites »

So much fun!!! I love a good Sgrind.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, it worked ptetty well! I was able to cut potatoes and they stayed on the board when I lifted the knife out of the potatoes and did really well on the rutabaga too. I want to bring the hollow up a little more, so I gotta tweak the angles and where it is on the blade.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

taz575 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:41 am Yeah, it worked ptetty well! I was able to cut potatoes and they stayed on the board when I lifted the knife out of the potatoes and did really well on the rutabaga too. I want to bring the hollow up a little more, so I gotta tweak the angles and where it is on the blade.
I just got a prototype tilt table form the housemade/bald man knife and tool collab. I am hoping that a fence on the table and the tilt as a guide, might make the s grinds stupid easy compared to the all manual way I used in the past. Today I am rebuilding the grinder with upgrades to get everything working.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Nice! I want to get a tilting setup for mine, debating if I buy the AmeriBrade version or build one myself. I gotta do something for the tool rest for the radius platen so the height is easier to adjust to where I need it to be since the table is height adjustable, but there is no support other than the locking knob, so the angle can change easily when I don't want it to.

I did a Magnetic Platen and that helps a lot with switching platen faces out when I grind, too.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

taz575 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:34 am Nice! I want to get a tilting setup for mine, debating if I buy the AmeriBrade version or build one myself. I gotta do something for the tool rest for the radius platen so the height is easier to adjust to where I need it to be since the table is height adjustable, but there is no support other than the locking knob, so the angle can change easily when I don't want it to.

I did a Magnetic Platen and that helps a lot with switching platen faces out when I grind, too.
magnetic platen? not sure I am fully understanding. have a link?
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Mag platen.jpg
I put magnets on the steel platen and made steel backer plates for my various platens: felt, leather, mild steel, pyroceream glass, radius platen, etc.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

So I sent this one off to Aaron Gibson when I sent his Sujihiki to him and he did a video for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41NZwpZ-QlU&t=1s

Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

taz575 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:36 pm So I sent this one off to Aaron Gibson when I sent his Sujihiki to him and he did a video for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41NZwpZ-QlU&t=1s

Really impressive performance Tim.

Well done 👍.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Thanks! I may put this one up in a pass around too.

I noticed a slight warp in the blade when I was almost done grinding it, so I use a carbide-faced hammer to try to straighten it, but it left some marks I couldn't grind out and it looked like there may have been two micro cracks in the edge, so I wanted to use it for a while and see if it was actually cracked or if it would hold up. I havent seen the cracks re appear after sharpening it another time, so it may have been lighting playing a trick on me.