I need japanese knives

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Joakim_25

I need japanese knives

Post by Joakim_25 »

1) Proffesional cook
2/3) Bunka 165-180mm (a little lighter skilled cutting) and Gyuto 210/240mm (big cuts but precise)
4) Around 400-600 USD, not included shipping and import taxes
5) Does not really matter to me, as long as it works good
6)Japanese handles
7) Currently using Vitorinox, but want to transition to japanese
8) Good, but is really getting good.
9) Depends on what I am cutting, Gyuto for longer cuts and european chopping. Bunka for european chopping and nice cuts with veggies and such.
10) No, but I will use my Vitorinox for practising. thinging of Shapton Pro or glass. Maybe pro for vitorinox and glass for japanese?
I have to get the right sharpening equipment, maybe some ideas there aswell would be nice. maybe like around 200 USD range would be the best?
Some help with pointing at which stones to buy, and those i need and such would be very helpfull, since I just get more confused the more i try to understand.
Maybe just ONE really good knife is all i need 180/220mm, if there is one superb one.
I need one really good knife, sharpening stone/glass for my vitorinoux and my new japanese knife(s)
I come from Norway if that would be helpfull information.
I just need to be able to "sit down" with someone or multiple to understand everything, since there is just too much information for me to understand. If you guys want, I can link my facebook-profile so you can reach me on messenger.
Professional chef that's willing to learn and use japanese knifes. Norway
Ut_ron

Re: I need japanese knives

Post by Ut_ron »

With your budget you can get some great knives. Really almost any knives that mark has will be head and shoulders ahead of what you’re currently using.

I would suggest starting at a smaller price range and get something that is visually appealing to you. Look at the Kohetsu SLD series. They are great knives that are very good looking and great price.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohetsusld.html

But really look around, buy what you like, it you find you are not fond of it. You can sell it and recoup a lot of what you put out.

As far as stones I have great luck with Shapton pro series. Sharpening European, and all the steels on my japanese knives (14 most all the steel types but HAP) with no problem s at all.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Joakim_25

Post by Joakim_25 »

So what I think would be a good trio for multiple types of cuts:
Kanjo VG10 Damascus Bunka 180mm or maybe another Bunka with simular size?
Kohetsu SLD Nakiri 165mm
I kinda want a bigger Guyto, so are these good choises and which once should I buy?:
Harukaze AS Gyuto 240mm
Kamo VG10 Suminagashi Gyuto 240mm
Kanjo ZDP189 Gyuto 240mm - Wa Handle
Tabata White #1 Gyuto 240mm
Anryu Kurouchi Damascus Gyuto 240mm
Yoshimi Hino W2 Gyuto 240mm
Tsunehisa VG10 Hammered Damascus Gyuto 240mm
Yahiko VG-10 Tsuchime Damascus Gyuto 240mm

Because I want knifes made of really good steel

And for sharpening all these knifes and my older vitorinoux:
Shapton Pro Stone 320 grid
Shapton Pro Stone 1000 grid
Shapton Pro Stone 1500? 5000? 8000?
What grid's do i need to make my knifes really nice and sharp?
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Stones, Shapton Pro 320 or 500, 1000 and 5K or my favorite stones, the Rika 5K. The Rika is a soaking stone and is much softer, but gives a wickedly good edge on all steels!

I would avoid VG-10. Look for R2/SG2, G3/Ginsan, PS60 for stainless steels. For carbons, AS is my favorite, followed by the blue series, then whites last. White sharpens easily and takes a wicked edge, but looses it quickly. Blue holds much better and AS holds even better than blue while still being able to sharpen. AS or Blue #2 core steel with stainless cladding looks really nice once the patina sets in on the carbon steel! SLD and HAP40 are both semi stainless steels; they will lose their shiny finish and get a more dull grey/blue look to them over time, but will react much slower than regular carbon steels. HAP40 is a bit harder to sharpen (takes longer), but will hold an edge for a LOOOOONG time!

For knives, the bunka and nakiri are sort of redundant? I would get a 240mm gyuto and then a bunka.

Kurosaki Senko 175mm bunka and 240mm Kurosaki Senko 240mm gyuto would be an awesome matched combo for all stainless, wa handled knives! It would be $570 USD, plus shipping/taxes/tarrifs, but well worth it! R2/SG2 steel (same steel from different plants) is a very fine grained stainless steel that will take and hold a really nice edge for a long time and is still pretty easy to sharpen. Kurosaki does an excellent job with heat treating and grinding his blades, so those will be top notch performers!

Bunka, I would definitely go stainless since fruits and veggies can really discolor carbon steels quickly. For the gyuto, carbon clad in stainless is nice and easy to maintain, but there are good all stainless choices there too and the semi stainless blades can really perform as well!
Joakim_25

Post by Joakim_25 »

So thinking then
Kurosaki Senko SG2 Gyuto 240mm
Kurosaki Senko SG2 Bunka 165mm
CKTG Handle and Board Wax

CKTG 6 Pc Sharpening Set(Suehiro Cerax 320, Suehiro Cerax 1000 and Suehiro Rika 5K) and Suehiro Rika 8K !265USD!
or
Shapton Pro 320, 1000, 5000 and 8000 for !192USD!

which one of these sharpening sets should i get?