How to flatten #120 whetstone (Extra Coarse)

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Harry

How to flatten #120 whetstone (Extra Coarse)

Post by Harry »

Hi folks, I have a quick question which is so hard to find an answer.
I am thinking about buying Shapton Pro #120 to be my first stone on thinning my knives.
The Question is I don't know how to flatten it?
Normally, I use my Atoma #140 to flatten my 400, 800, 3000 Chosera
Can I use Atoma#140 to flatten Shapton Pro #120, or any recommend method?

Thank you y'all in advance for the advice.
arthurfowler

Re: How to flatten #120 whetstone (Extra Coarse)

Post by arthurfowler »

I have the Shapton Glass 120 and I bought the CKTG 80 grit diamond plate which seems to work well. Unfortunately it is out of stock at the moment.
-btm-

Post by -btm- »

I have a Pro 120 and I use some 60/80 grit Silicon Carbide powder on a flat ceramic tile for that particular stone. I bought a little tub of the powder at a local stone/bead/gem shop for a few bucks. Works great. For stones 220 and up I just jump back to my Atoma plate.

A few notes on the Pro 120... It definitely has a more pronounced "crust" when new than the other shapton pro/glass stones. It will feel like it loads up or glazes until you get down a little into the stone. I recommend giving it a good flattening prior to use. Also, the slurry is very helpful on that stone. I think it cuts faster, prevents loading and performs better if it isn't rinsed too often while in use. The slurry helps release fresh abrasive and then breaks down the abrasive a little as you sharpen offering a smoother feel too. I also flatten and refresh the surface fairly often as needed with the tile/sic powder to keep the stone cutting super fast.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I also use an 80-grit plate I got from Ken Schwartz. The SP-120 is a little tricky, especially on stainless clad. Good advice above.
gladius

Post by gladius »

-btm- wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:04 am I have a Pro 120 and I use some 60/80 grit Silicon Carbide powder on a flat ceramic tile for that particular stone.
---
+1
I do too, SiC powder is very inexpensive.
I use a piece of glass I got with my EdgePro... https://www.edgeproinc.com/sharpening-a ... ling-kits/

https://youtu.be/8zcytSXHCM0