Electric grill...worth it?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Post Reply
wphill
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:15 am
Location: Louisville
Has thanked: 1 time

Electric grill...worth it?

Post by wphill »

Happy New Years!
I have a 25 yr old weber propane grill and it's just been sitting like a deck prop. My wife took over the kitchen and no matter what she says I've been elbowed to the side lines. So, that leaves me out in the cold, on the deck. I could clean up the weber, though I expect I'm going to have to get into new parts. Another negative, is that I don't like having to deal with propane tanks. So before I venture back to the weber, I am curious about electric grills. There are ones labelled for either the indoors and the outdoors. If I was to set one up, it would be on a table, under a large overhang and safe from rain. I'm willing to spend up to 450.00. I would use it for grilling meats and vegies. If there was a rotisserie accessory, I would use it. Do the electric grills deliver any kind of premium flavor, even it's not the same as one on a gas grill? And, then there's the issue of the "clean up." Gas grills can burn off a lot. Electric ones not so much.
Decisions, decisions, Bill
User avatar
mauichef
Posts: 3763
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Has thanked: 582 times
Been thanked: 812 times
Contact:

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by mauichef »

There is no substitute for a Weber. I have tried many and always come home to the best. My fave is the Q3200 and Smoky Mountain. For us it is perfection. Never flares. Easy clean and maintenance. Electric .... no thanks.
User avatar
ronnie_suburban
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 am
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 1225 times
Contact:

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I'm strictly a charcoal and woodburner guy. Personally, I'd pass on electric or gas.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
grayrich
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:54 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by grayrich »

There is no question that there is a need for high quality electric grills. For the reasons mentions in places like California and all around the US there are units of houses (condo, flats, etc ....) that will not allow open grill flames. This is the market Pulse and Q Q is trying to fill. So, yes there is a market. There is no question. The electricity source is a constant problem. And it seems that Weber is dealing with Q2400 grills.
jknife
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:54 am
Location: north Ontario CAN
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by jknife »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:07 pm I'm strictly a charcoal and woodburner guy. Personally, I'd pass on electric or gas.
+1
I have never used an electric grill but I don't understand how it could impart flavour more than a good cast-iron pan.
I used to be a gas guy until my brother gave me a charcoal grill. I said "Wow thanks!" while thinking I would never bother with the extra hassle. Since it came with a bag of charcoal, and I hate to waste anything,I lit up the grill and cooked some steaks. This was 4 years ago and I have since only used the gasser twice for lunch. The hassle was much less than I thought and the flavour so much better.
Kalaeb
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by Kalaeb »

Are you talking a George Foreman?...I did not even know they made outdoor electric grills. My Weber is relatively no fuss, so it would be a pass for me. Skip repairing the gas and just get a kettle.
jacko9
Posts: 2382
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, Ca
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by jacko9 »

I have been using my Weber WSM Bullet, my AOG gas grill, my Weber Kettle and when I need extra space my Weber Little Smokey Joe. The first two get the bulk of use.
Santas_101
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by Santas_101 »

I wouldn’t get an electric because it doesn’t get really hot. If propane is an issue I’d try natural gas if you have the hookup already.

Here are the best bbq smokers and grills:

Gas: Napoleon, Blaze, and Coyote

Pellet: Pitts N Spitts, Yoder, Green Mountain Grills

Ceramic: Kamado Joe, Primo, Big Green Egg

Offset: Meadow Creek, Yoder, Pitts N Spitts

Keep in mind when it’s comes to grills and smokers the adage “You get what you pay for” really rings true. I’d venture out beyond Weber. I think you can find better value and features that what you’d find on a Weber.
User avatar
ronnie_suburban
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 am
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 1225 times
Contact:

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Santas_101 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 pm Keep in mind when it’s comes to grills and smokers the adage “You get what you pay for” really rings true. I’d venture out beyond Weber. I think you can find better value and features that what you’d find on a Weber.
When it comes to charcoal grills, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this. I've cooked on (and owned) a lot of rigs and there is no better bang for the buck than a 23" Weber Kettle. And this remains true even though they have cheaped out on the product and raised prices in recent years. Not saying there aren't better cookers out there but for the money? No way.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Santas_101
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by Santas_101 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 am
Santas_101 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 pm Keep in mind when it’s comes to grills and smokers the adage “You get what you pay for” really rings true. I’d venture out beyond Weber. I think you can find better value and features that what you’d find on a Weber.
When it comes to charcoal grills, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this. I've cooked on (and owned) a lot of rigs and there is no better bang for the buck than a 23" Weber Kettle. And this remains true even though they have cheaped out on the product and raised prices in recent years. Not saying there aren't better cookers out there but for the money? No way.
Ronnie,

I was mostly referring to their gas grill lineup, but even their kettle lineup to me is not the best quality. If you look at the gauge of steel used to produce their kettle grill it really doesn’t retain heat that well. Here is a link to the ones from Napoleon. They use better quality raw materials than Weber.

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/p ... ill-series

This summer I really wanted to upgrade my outdoor cooking area and really did my research. I eventually bought the Napoleon Prestige Phantom 500 that came with cast stainless cooking grates (only grill in the industry to have cast stainless grates) and the Pitts N Spitts 1250 Pellet Grill (fully welded and made in Texas) because of ease of use and build quality. If I was a purist I would of gotten an offset, but to be honest I was looking to constantly man a fire. If charcoal is your thing, honestly, I would buy a Komado style grill/smoker. It gives the best bang for your buck with the most versatility. Not to mention the accessories seem to be endless. Keep in mind, if you do get a Komado, you’d want to get a Fireboard controller to help with temperature control.

I hope this explains things further and those are just my thoughts .
User avatar
ronnie_suburban
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 am
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 1225 times
Contact:

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Santas_101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:09 am
ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 am
Santas_101 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 pm Keep in mind when it’s comes to grills and smokers the adage “You get what you pay for” really rings true. I’d venture out beyond Weber. I think you can find better value and features that what you’d find on a Weber.
When it comes to charcoal grills, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this. I've cooked on (and owned) a lot of rigs and there is no better bang for the buck than a 23" Weber Kettle. And this remains true even though they have cheaped out on the product and raised prices in recent years. Not saying there aren't better cookers out there but for the money? No way.
Ronnie,

I was mostly referring to their gas grill lineup, but even their kettle lineup to me is not the best quality. If you look at the gauge of steel used to produce their kettle grill it really doesn’t retain heat that well. Here is a link to the ones from Napoleon. They use better quality raw materials than Weber.

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/p ... ill-series

This summer I really wanted to upgrade my outdoor cooking area and really did my research. I eventually bought the Napoleon Prestige Phantom 500 that came with cast stainless cooking grates (only grill in the industry to have cast stainless grates) and the Pitts N Spitts 1250 Pellet Grill (fully welded and made in Texas) because of ease of use and build quality. If I was a purist I would of gotten an offset, but to be honest I was looking to constantly man a fire. If charcoal is your thing, honestly, I would buy a Komado style grill/smoker. It gives the best bang for your buck with the most versatility. Not to mention the accessories seem to be endless. Keep in mind, if you do get a Komado, you’d want to get a Fireboard controller to help with temperature control.

I hope this explains things further and those are just my thoughts .
Great post. Thank you. You need look no further than my (current) avatar to see my Komodo Kamado cooker. I love it but it's not an everyday rig. I bought it in 2007 for ~$2500/delivered. Today, the same unit will cost you $4200/FOB origin. An unassembled 23" Weber kettle will cost you around $170 delivered. So, they're not even remotely comparable. Again, I'm not a fanboy of Weber or of the diminishing quality of their goods but you still have to give them their due. For a vast variety of everyday grilling tasks, the 23" kettle is more than adequate.

I have a few 23" and 26" Weber kettles but my workhorse is an old One-Touch Performer that is going on 30 years (stainless cabinet). I've replaced the bowl twice and the lid a few times but it's still as reliable af. I've used it at least once a week for nearly three decades. I also have a Horizon Ranger Offset ($2600/FOB OK). After attending BBQ University a few years ago -- where I was able to try out dozens of cookers over the course of a few days -- I decided it was the best fit for me. Again, a great unit but not even remotely comparable to an everyday grill, in purpose or price.

But yeah, those Napoleon charcoal grill lines look really nice and are directly comparable to the Weber lines. I do think Weber is ripe for the plucking and hope Napoleon can grab some serious market share. Right now I have too many cookers and no room for another. Unlike with knives, I have to get rid of one before I can acquire another one. But when I next have room, that 22" Pro Cart Charcoal is definitely on my short list!
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Kalaeb
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by Kalaeb »

Wait....there is a BBQ University?
User avatar
XexoX
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:02 pm
Location: Salem Oregon USA
Has thanked: 1551 times
Been thanked: 570 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by XexoX »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:14 pm Wait....there is a BBQ University?
I don't know about that, but back in the mid 1980s I went to Cookie College, so there most likely is a BBQ University.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
User avatar
ronnie_suburban
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 am
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 1225 times
Contact:

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:14 pm Wait....there is a BBQ University?
LOL - yes. Stephen Raichlen's joint, which is held at various venues around the country. I was actually invited by my butcher and his wife because she wanted to give him the class as a birthday gift but didn't want to attend herself. So, my wife and I joined them and I took her slot at BBQ U. I posted about my experience here.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Santas_101
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by Santas_101 »

Ronnie,

Did you say you have a Komado Kamado? Do you have pictures? Have you ever had those tiles break or fall off? What was the process like to buy one? Would you buy one if money was no object?
User avatar
ronnie_suburban
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 am
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 1225 times
Contact:

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Santas_101 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 pm Ronnie,

Did you say you have a Komado Kamado? Do you have pictures? Have you ever had those tiles break or fall off? What was the process like to buy one? Would you buy one if money was no object?
Same pic as my avatar here . . .

Image
Komodo Kamado Cooker

This picture was taken in 2007 but it looks virtually the same today. I do keep it covered when not in use.

No, I've never had a tile fall off, though I have certainly heard stories.

At the time, my butcher was carrying them (he may still be). IIirc, I purchased it through him and he delivered it to my house. I have no idea what it's like ordering directly from their website.

The fact is, it doesn't see a lot of use, so if money and space were no object, there'd be no reason not to get an even bigger one. But that's an easy query. I love it for longer cooks, especially in cold and windy conditions. I've held 250F on that thing for 24 hours+ in the dead of winter on one load of fuel, so it's great for brisket. But for everyday grilling, the benefits don't outweigh the difficulty of use/cleaning.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Santas_101
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by Santas_101 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:15 pm
Santas_101 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 pm Ronnie,

Did you say you have a Komado Kamado? Do you have pictures? Have you ever had those tiles break or fall off? What was the process like to buy one? Would you buy one if money was no object?
Same pic as my avatar here . . .

Image
Komodo Kamado Cooker

This picture was taken in 2007 but it looks virtually the same today. I do keep it covered when not in use.

No, I've never had a tile fall off, though I have certainly heard stories.

At the time, my butcher was carrying them (he may still be). IIirc, I purchased it through him and he delivered it to my house. I have no idea what it's like ordering directly from their website.

The fact is, it doesn't see a lot of use, so if money and space were no object, there'd be no reason not to get an even bigger one. But that's an easy query. I love it for longer cooks, especially in cold and windy conditions. I've held 250F on that thing for 24 hours+ in the dead of winter on one load of fuel, so it's great for brisket. But for everyday grilling, the benefits don't outweigh the difficulty of use/cleaning.
That’s why I like my Pitts and Spitts. It holds temperature pretty well and with my fireboard controller I have no issues, but I’ll never use it to sear, which is why I bought the Napoleon Prestige Phantom as well.
hardachieve
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:18 am

Re: Electric grill...worth it?

Post by hardachieve »

Hi guys,

I've started to toy with the idea of buying myself a gas grill for outdoor cooking.
So far I'm thinking a Weber Genesis II.

Does anybody have any recommendations or thoughts or the name of other brands I should be considering for my research?

Also, I've been hearing wonderful things about Grill Grates.
Has anybody tried these?
Post Reply