Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
pd7077

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by pd7077 »

Lucas Gumbiner (@gumbinercustomknives on IG) is a young blacksmith that I met last year. The kid is pretty adventurous, and he took on a challenge made by someone online to make a wrought iron clad yanagiba even though he has ever tried making one before. He told me that he would accept the challenge as long as I agreed to do a bit of sharpening and polishing work on it. I’m a bit of a sucker for wrought iron so I couldn’t really turn it down. In keeping with his personality, he decided to go big. The core is W2 tool steel, and the heel to tip edge length measures out at 312mm. Mirroring out the ura side took a lot of effort, but polishing the bevel side after sharpening was extremely rewarding and it reaffirmed my love for wrought iron.

I made a quick video of the knife. Here’s the IG link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B--qGxtDX2E ... x2rgn9ggh1
--- Steve
salemj

Post by salemj »

Deez boyz got game.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Always impressed Steve, truly impressed... :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Been a while since I last polished a knife, but I had to spa my Hiromoto AS 270 after getting it back. I sent it out to Lucas for a custom handle, and he was able to really bring my idea to life. The handle is spalted curly maple with black pins and a super comfy coke bottle shape. He was able to do an impeccable 3 layer liner/spacer, and he made a leather saya to complete the project. With all the black going on, I decided to do a polished hairline finish with an etched core.

Last edited by pd7077 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- Steve
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

pd7077 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:31 pm Been a while since I last polished a knife, but I had to spa my Hiromoto AS 270 after getting it back. I sent it out to Lucas for a custom handle, and he was able to really bring my idea to life. The handle is spalted curly maple with black pins and a super comfy coke bottle shape. He was able to do an impeccable 3 later liner/spacer, and he made a leather saya to complete the project. With all the black going on, I decided to do a polished hairline finish with an etched core.

Truly amazing. Also, inspiring. I need to do something with my same Hiromoto AS 270mm. Make it special or sell it, I suppose.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Fantastic!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
nakiriknaifuwaifu

Post by nakiriknaifuwaifu »

The handle on that looks so clean :o
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

nakiriknaifuwaifu wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:27 pm The handle on that looks so clean :o
Thanks. Lucas really does great work. He has done a lot of handles for my friends, but this is my first one from him. It was only the third or fourth western he has done, but you wouldn’t know it by looking at how clean his work is. He’s a true young up and comer, and his work is damn near flawless. Dare I say...he’s like a young Delosso!
--- Steve
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Awesome as always Steve!!
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Has it really been almost 2 years since I last posted on here?!? Hope everyone has been doing well. Life has been busy since CoVid hit so my knife life dropped off during the ride. Got my first new kitchen knife since all this drama started. It’s a wrought iron clad 26c3 (aka spicy white) integral petty by Lucas Gumbiner. I needed a small knife to match my wrought iron 52100 integral that Jeff (Black Lotus) made for me, and Lucas was able to match it by doing a ringed gidgee handle with a nickel and black G10 spacer.

Here she is alongside the BL 270 gyuto

The BL gyuto was my primary knife for the past few years, and I didn’t really have much time to polish her up until now. I used the same fingerstone progression on both knives, and I can’t wait to get some patina on them!!! Hopefully I can get back into the knife game soon, but for now this combo of integrals should do the trick.
Last edited by pd7077 on Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
--- Steve
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Amazing!!!!!!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

mauichef wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:49 pmAmazing!!!!!!
+1

Also, on those 2 years of dropping off. Sheesh!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

We've missed seeing your awesome work Steve!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

So happy to see both you and nakneker back this week. Christmas and my birthday rolled into one...

Thanks for letting us see some of Lucas's fresh work.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:45 am We've missed seeing your awesome work Steve!
Thanks Jeff! Hoping to get back to doing more polishing this year. I was just happy to see that I didn’t completely lose my skills 😂
LaVieestBelle wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:10 pm So happy to see both you and nakneker back this week. Christmas and my birthday rolled into one...

Hey C!!! How’s that Kipp fishhook treat in’ ya?
--- Steve
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

pd7077 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:00 pm
Jeff B wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:45 am We've missed seeing your awesome work Steve!
Thanks Jeff! Hoping to get back to doing more polishing this year. I was just happy to see that I didn’t completely lose my skills 😂
LaVieestBelle wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:10 pm So happy to see both you and nakneker back this week. Christmas and my birthday rolled into one...

Hey C!!! How’s that Kipp fishhook treat in’ ya?
The amazing and incomparable Kipp? It is beloved.
shrimp1.jpg