What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 pm So do you have a menu or running list that the Fam makes requests from? I know I'd have a long list of faves that you make if I lived with you!
I can't let my wife see this thread or she'll expect so much more of me... :?
Hahaha! There's certainly a rotation. I think you all know my warm weather repertoire. And I happily take requests because it makes planning the meals less burdensome. But I've been way busier at work these days, so it's mostly been grilling and quick stir-fries during the week, and longer projects on the weekends. Because of the velveting/frying/clean-up, Mongolian Beef is particularly time-consuming, even by my deep-dive standards. So, I've tried to quietly let it drop off the rotation. But the boyo continually mentions it, so when I saw the beef tenders at the grocery, I decided to give it another go.

Generally speaking, they're all pretty happy with what I put out . . . with one notable exception. The boyo is not a big fan of chicken thighs. This concerns me because he looks a lot like me, so I know he's mine. But clearly, there's something wrong with him! :lol:
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:26 pm ...Generally speaking, they're all pretty happy with what I put out . . . with one notable exception. The boyo is not a big fan of chicken thighs. This concerns me because he looks a lot like me, so I know he's mine. But clearly, there's something wrong with him! :lol:
Eh, I'm sure it's just a phase, you know how kids can be. I bet sometime in the near future he'll be wanting thighs five nights a week just like his Dad! ;) :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:39 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:26 pm ...Generally speaking, they're all pretty happy with what I put out . . . with one notable exception. The boyo is not a big fan of chicken thighs. This concerns me because he looks a lot like me, so I know he's mine. But clearly, there's something wrong with him! :lol:
Eh, I'm sure it's just a phase, you know how kids can be. I bet sometime in the near future he'll be wanting thighs five nights a week just like his Dad! ;) :D
LOL - maybe I burnt him out! :lol:
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I guess that's possible too! 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Maybe tell him to try them with ketchup.
David
ronnie_suburban

d_rap wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:57 pm Maybe tell him to try them with ketchup.
LMAO! :lol:
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

d_rap wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:57 pm Maybe tell him to try them with ketchup.
Or ranch! :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

No ketchup, no ranch. Back to one, with grilled chicken thighs. But first, side dish prep . . .

Glaze Mise En Place & Makoto AS Ryusei Gyuto, 210mm
Everything but the eggplant . . . toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, minced garlic, spicy pepper paste, Tupelo honey, red pepper sauce and evoo. Have to pat myself on the back a little here because this glaze was really delicious.

Broiled & Glazed Eggplant
Spritzed these planks with evoo, then broiled them for about 12 minutes. After that, glazed them and baked them for another 15 minutes at 350F. Garnished with sesame seeds and chives.

Rubbed Chicken Thighs
Made a rub that consisted of salt, black pepper, white pepper, Sichuan peppercorn, coriander, cumin, granulated garlic, granulated onion and gochugaru.

Grilling
These took about 30 minutes, covered, on the indirect side.

Plated Up
Charcoal-grilled chicken thighs with broiled/glazed eggplant and a blob of the weekly slaw. Yes, I'm back in my happy place. ;)

Happy Monday! :)
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Just awful the things you make your poor son eat... :(
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

It's incredible the people on this forum. No question where we stand. We use indirect heat so we don't even have to flip our chicken thighs.

(I did hear that those Makotos in AS are going for three times list Ronnie. Just sayin'.)
David
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

d_rap wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:23 pm It's incredible the people on this forum. No question where we stand. We use indirect heat so we don't even have to flip our chicken thighs.

(I did hear that those Makotos in AS are going for three times list Ronnie. Just sayin'.)
Oh Thanks Mr. Rap! I had PM'd Mr. Suburban earlier asking if he flipped or not. I'm learning to grill chicken thighs and I've been flipping to the direct side towards the end and end up burning some skin. I'll not do that tomorrow and see how they turn out.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 pm Just awful the things you make your poor son eat... :(
Hahaha! Maybe he's secretly been reading this thread. He actually ate 3 thighs tonight, so I guess I did something right.
d_rap wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:23 pm It's incredible the people on this forum. No question where we stand. We use indirect heat so we don't even have to flip our chicken thighs.

LOL - maybe I can start a new career as a knife flipper. All I need is a few thousand knives to get me started! :lol:

Love going indirect/covered on the Weber with chicken because it cooks evenly, creates a very crispy skin and allows me time to get some other prep done while it's cooking. In the realm of grilling, it's about as 'set it and forget' as one can hope for. I'm not opposed to occasionally going direct but that is a high-supervision activity.
XexoX wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:17 pm Oh Thanks Mr. Rap! I had PM'd Mr. Suburban earlier asking if he flipped or not. I'm learning to grill chicken thighs and I've been flipping to the direct side towards the end and end up burning some skin. I'll not do that tomorrow and see how they turn out.
Sorry I hadn't had time to reply but you're in very good hands with David. :)
=R=
Is That Blood?

Post by Is That Blood? »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:50 pm
Love going indirect/covered on the Weber with chicken because it cooks evenly, creates a very crispy skin and allows me time to get some other prep done while it's cooking. In the realm of grilling, it's about as 'set it and forget' as one can hope for. I'm not opposed to occasionally going direct but that is a high-supervision activity.
I'm going to give that a go. I've got birds that need to be broke down later this week. Thanks for this, Ronnie.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I've been roasting whole, spatchcocked birds on the grill, skin side up until the last fifteen minutes or so. I actually prefer to roast chickens in the oven, but during the summer, it worked quite well.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

cliff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 am I've been roasting whole, spatchcocked birds on the grill, skin side up until the last fifteen minutes or so. I actually prefer to roast chickens in the oven, but during the summer, it worked quite well.
Roughly how long before you flip the bird? Do you keep it on the indirect side? And do you keep the grill covered? Thanks!
cliff

Post by cliff »

I have a Kamodo grill, so there is no indirect. It depends how hot the grill is, and I monitor the internal temp of the bird. It usually takes around 30 mins skin up and 15 or so skin down. I keep the grill covered.
Is That Blood?

Post by Is That Blood? »

cliff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 am I've been roasting whole, spatchcocked birds on the grill, skin side up until the last fifteen minutes or so. I actually prefer to roast chickens in the oven, but during the summer, it worked quite well.
I've always done my chicken in the oven, too. Or spatchcocked then halved and on the smoker over mesquite. A 3 -3:15 hr smoke yields some amazing chicken coated with just a little olive oil, and fair amounts of salt and pepper.
cliff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:44 pm I have a Kamodo grill, so there is no indirect. It depends how hot the grill is, and I monitor the internal temp of the bird. It usually takes around 30 mins skin up and 15 or so skin down. I keep the grill covered.
Between you and Ronnie, I'm down for trying chicken on the grill.
Thanks!
ronnie_suburban

Is That Blood? wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:11 pm
I've always done my chicken in the oven, too. Or spatchcocked then halved and on the smoker over mesquite. A 3 -3:15 hr smoke yields some amazing chicken coated with just a little olive oil, and fair amounts of salt and pepper.
cliff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:44 pm I have a Kamodo grill, so there is no indirect. It depends how hot the grill is, and I monitor the internal temp of the bird. It usually takes around 30 mins skin up and 15 or so skin down. I keep the grill covered.
Between you and Ronnie, I'm down for trying chicken on the grill.
Thanks!
I like chicken about any which way but lately, I prefer my bird charcoal-grilled. Only lump, never briquettes. It can take anywhere from 22-30 minutes, depending on size of the fire, size of the pieces and wind. Air temp doesn't seem to affect outdoor cooking too much but wind wreaks havoc when trying to hold the fire's temperature. I almost never flip the bird. :P I don't find it necessary to create crispy skin and unless you watch it closely, it can be diminishing returns.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chicken of all varieties are a staple around here but it all gets done on the grill unless it's something like diced/cubed breast for stir-fry or fried rice.
Been a long time but I need to do a rotisserie chicken again.

IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
Is That Blood?

Post by Is That Blood? »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 pm Chicken of all varieties are a staple around here but it all gets done on the grill unless it's something like diced/cubed breast for stir-fry or fried rice.
Been a long time but I need to do a rotisserie chicken again.

IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
That's outrageously good looking, Jeff. That deep, rich color.