I rehandled my first knife and found rust.

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
billk1002

I rehandled my first knife and found rust.

Post by billk1002 »

Well the title just about sums it up.
I purchased my first knife from CNTG 2 years ago, a Tojiro white #2 gyuto 210mm with the kuruochi finish, still to this day probably my favorite knife.
Last month I decided that I liked this knife so much that I was going to install a new handle.
I knocked the old handle off with a piece of wood and a mallet and much to my dismay the tang had rust on it.

So I used a wire wheel and then sanded the tang until the rust was gone.
I then used a propane torch to burn the tang into the new handle until it was where I liked it, back a little so my finger would fit in without being pinched.
I removed the handle and covered the tang with 3 cotes of lacquer, let it dry.
I covered the handle in blue painters tape, filled the hole with 5 minute epoxy and installed the handle.
At this point I do not think that I have to worry about rust ant more.

But the question is, when you buy a new knife do you remove the handle and coat it with lacquer or do you just install wax around the handle install and keep your eye on it?
Or is there something else that you all do to maintain your investment?
Attachments
IMG_9518 (2).jpg
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
d_rap

Re: I rehandled my first knife and found rust.

Post by d_rap »

People are pretty diligent around here but I can't imagine very many of us remove handles as a matter of course from our new knives and protect the tang as you describe. Sounds like a great idea for people who have the time and inclination, but removing and reinstalling a handle on a new knife would be more than I'm willing to take on as part of my regular routine.

I clean and dry carefully after almost every ingredient I cut, store my knives with care, and seal even tiny gaps. Eventually I'm going to need to replace handles on knives that I decide to keep for years or decades, and I may upgrade handles on some of my favorite knives, but beyond that I'll take my chances.
David
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Most people will seal the tang hole with something , wax, hot glue, epoxy or ca glue. Choose your poison.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Just sealing around the handle is all that is needed. Even if you don't, it is highly unlikely in your lifetime that a tang would ever rust through enough to break. I make it a habit to always keep the handle higher than the tip of the knife when washing or rinsing a knife and then all water runs away from the tang hole instead of in it.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I can't say I've sealed mine more than a couple of times, but I do my best to be careful in the way Jeff describes. Haven't been at this long enough to discover a problem.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Gentlemen, thank you to all, I did purchase the wax and have sealed up the other handles.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

Nice job on the rehandle billk1002 👍
KnightKnightForever

Post by KnightKnightForever »

Looks great!! Thanks for the tips
- Chef Chris