This Is THE Stone To Have!

FisherMAn1298

This Is THE Stone To Have!

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

While in the midst of a discussion with the great Ken Schwartz, I asked him what was the best stone in his opinion. Whithout hesitation he replied Nubitama 1k Platinum hard. All I could think of is I want the BEST there is so I ordered it and on Monday it came.It removed metal on the first stroke! By the time I got to 15 strokes I had a burr, after 30 I had one like a piece of wire,which I've never seen before. The stone is really hard, it cuts super fast and cleans up easily. It took my Tachikaze w#2 steel to a whole new level! After that I got the Tsunehisa AS sakura and it put the best edge I ever put on that blade. I followed the progression shapton glass 2k, nano hone 6k and Suehiro 8k. When I was done my knives were in a state that I'd never achieved, this is before I stropped at all. I used Ken's PDP emulsion .1 micron on his nano strop and I was afraid to touch the edge at all. IT cut paper without hardly a sound at all. SO quiet and smooth. WOW! If I had the money I'd go out and buy Nbitama Platinums to replace the 2k, 4k and 6k stones I have, despite the fact that their shapton glass. I'm keeping the suehiro snow stone. It's in the running but not quite as fast as the 1k. Of course its a higher grit made to polish right, so I have to give it a little slack. I"m in awe of this stone! Let alone the .10 diamond emulsion that made my blue steel so smooth it cut paper like I was a deaf person!If you get a chance to try any of this stuff or purchase any of them they've shown me a whole new world of sharp!! If it wasn't for CKTG, this forum and all the great people here I'd have never even met Ken or learned to understand exactly what these great products can do. CKTG has SO many great knives and stones, I'll never run out of new products, ideas and great people to chat with. For now the man that I owe a huge THANK YOU! TO IS kEN sCHWARTZ! he talked to me for a long time, educated me on tons of information, facts, data, history and technique. Sort of like a one man CKTG education, heh! He'll sell you a great product, discuss sharpening technique and even re-attach a finger if you slip and lop of a tip when cutting! Yes, he's a surgeon too back in the day! thanks Ken! Even if you don't buy anything you'll learn something from this man and he'll make you laugh too. It's guys like Ken that make this forum what it is. I come here daily for enjoyment and I thank all of you for helping to make is as great as it is. Let's not forget THE team, Mark & Susan, or is it Susan & Mark?Oh well, either way they're great and a thank you shout out to them. they thought of the idea, nurtured it, busted their butts to grow it and now we all reap the benefits of the fruit of their labor!
Way to go guys!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Altadan

Re: This Is THE Stone To Have!

Post by Altadan »

What a beautiful gushing post, haha :D
Sounds like a solid recomendation!

That's a pretty involved progression, too. What were you using before the Nubatama 1k?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I'm a fan.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Robstreperous wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:17 am I'm a fan.
Me too. I also have the Nub Plat 1k Hard and agree that it's a great stone. I have a few Nubatama stones (both freehand and EdgePro) and really like them as a brand. Stones can be a personal thing as well, as everyone is looking for different features in varying proportions eg cutting ability , wear, feel etc etc
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Altadan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:17 am What a beautiful gushing post, haha :D

That's a pretty involved progression, too. What were you using before the Nubatama 1k?
Nubatama 150. I was gushing over the results, let me tell you. I never thought the Nubatama Platinum was THAT much better, figured the shaptons were pretty close to the best but I was proven so wron, so quickly it did make me gush, as you say Altadan. Wat can I say, it was THAT impressive.
Still is! You should try the 6k, or have you already?
Last edited by FisherMAn1298 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Radar53 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:00 pm
Robstreperous wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:17 am I'm a fan.
Me too. I also have the Nub Plat 1k Hard and agree that it's a great stone. I have a few Nubatama stones (both freehand and EdgePro) and really like them as a brand. Stones can be a personal thing as well, as everyone is looking for different features in varying proportions eg cutting ability , wear, feel etc etc
I think we're in agreement that personal preference applies across the board in this genre, knives, stones, strops but the proof is in the pudding as they say and these outperformed the shapton glass, which I never thought could be out done when I got them but that 1k proved me wrong, pleasantly so! My progression is now Nubatama 150, 1k, 3k diamond plate, Nubatama 6k, 8k Naniwa snow white and Suehiro 10k. Followed by Ken's nanocloth strop with pdp emulsion at .10. All Nubatama's are the Platinum version by the way. I don't raise a burr past 150, I just pay close attention to the feedback from the stone and the knife edge. So not alot of time on each stone at all. Getting some killer edges that cut paper with such a soft sound insted of a hard, loud rip like in the beginning with the shaptons.
I thank you for your thoughts gentlemen. Much obliged.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Before I got the Nubatama I used shapton glass 500,2k,4k. They were great too. I didn't think the Nubatama was gonna be THAT much better, surprise, surprise, it was.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:19 pm

Before I got the Nubatama I used shapton glass 500,2k,4k. They were great too. I didn't think the Nubatama was gonna be THAT much better, surprise, surprise, it was.
Well, you got me wondering now!
I used SG500 and SP2k... so, THAT good, you say, hey?
Well, maybe next time I'm in the U.S... Unless Ken happens to travel with stock and comes for a cuppa ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Dan, I go from my SG500 to the Nub Plat 1k hard and onto a Kohetsu 2k and that's a progression that works really well for me ATM
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
gladius

Post by gladius »

What are the characteristics of the stone that make it "THE stone to have"?
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

As previously mentioned it produces a consistent finish across a wide range of steels. It draws steel quickly and consistently , it produces the most solid, significant burr I've ever felt. Much like wire, no other stone has done that. It allows me to go to whatever grit I wish to ascend to because of the superior edge it produces. I can say from experience it outperforms the shapton glass and i have a friend who also agrees and says they outperform the choceras. Being a scientist my friend speaks in data, not opinion. So I take his words seriously.
Rich in VA

Post by Rich in VA »

I can't find these anywhere..............
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Rich in VA wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:58 am I can't find these anywhere..............
I think you need to contact Ken Swartz, ken123 on this site to get them.

From his signature :

ksskss@earthlink.net
209-612-2790
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Rich in VA

Post by Rich in VA »

Thanks ^^^