Using a deba on lobsters

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
ken123

Re: Using a deba on lobsters

Post by ken123 »

I've repaired a debate that was used to chop up frozen oxtails. Major repair. Father used his sons deba. Learned the hard way.
I've used western debas for cutting through ribs and even a bit of gardening cutting tree roots. Go for the western.

Ken
Calcifer1

Post by Calcifer1 »

thejt wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:08 pm Here's a specific breakdown of raw Japanese Ise Lobsters from The Japanese Culinary Academy's Mukoita Cutting Techniques Vol. 2:

Nothing on splitting lobsters in half or anything of the like, but elsewhere in the book the photos show use of deba to break through crab but only with the heel of a deba. Curious to know if you've tried the deba (hopefully microbeveled) on lobster and your results.
I have to get this book are there any other good books on knife techniques for Japanese knives I have a full set of Japanese knives but most of the technique books I found her for western style
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VleV5O0pVgc
Amazing how a pro can get sh** done.
stewssy

Post by stewssy »

I’ll either use scissors, or my worst chef knife lol