Strop kit vs finer grit stone?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
gladius

Re: Strop kit vs finer grit stone?

Post by gladius »

KurtS wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:39 pm Mark recommended the Shapton 500, 1000 and 4000 glass stone kit a couple years back. I've learned to use them reasonably well, as the three Shun VG-10 knives in my collection tend to microchip easily. My 40 year old Henkel Professional S knives are way more forgiving but don't seem to get as sharp.

I use a plain leather strip for final stropping to remove burrs and a ceramic rod to refine edges between sharpenings. I have a steel for my German knives as well.

As my next investment, would I be better off with a Strop kit or add higher grit stone? I intend to buy a Japanese laser gyuto and a 6-7" petty/boning knife for BBQ prep shortly. I'd like to try a high carbon gyuto but a laser super steel has my interest. I'd probably buy a high performance entry- to mid-level Japanese Gyuto to see if I like the style.

Thanks for your advice.
----
The SG kit you have should produce a nice polished edge for most knives, even future Japanese carbon blades. The leather finishes edges nice and crisp. I have a bovine strop I keep clean and conditioned and it makes edges very crisp.

If the Shun VG10 knives are micro-chipping and if you haven't done so, put them though a full progression starting with the 500. If you have already done so, increase the sharpening angle slightly, i.e. from 15 degrees to say 16 or 17 degrees which should reduce or eliminate the chipping. Some knives don't ever get sharp, it is what it is.

If I were you, I'd get a carbon gyuto and see how well the the SG kit does...you may be amazed! If you want more polish I'd recommend a natural stone: a Belgian Blue Whetstone <<. They polish well and are affordable, easy to use and last a lifetime. If you want even more polish, get a Coticle <<. I use my Belgium stones all the time to keep my best blades touched up for a balance of keen and polished.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Appreciate those links Gladius.

I've been considering the Belgian naturals.
David
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Sprays will offer more abrasive dispersion and I believe consistency.

I wouldn't own anything from Bark River Knives if you gave it to me.

As Triple B says, stones create. Strops enhance.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

gladius wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 am
If I were you, I'd get a carbon gyuto and see how well the the SG kit does...you may be amazed! If you want more polish I'd recommend a natural stone: a Belgian Blue Whetstone <<. They polish well and are affordable, easy to use and last a lifetime. If you want even more polish, get a Coticle <<. I use my Belgium stones all the time to keep my best blades touched up for a balance of keen and polished.
"Thanks", I think for this gladius. I love and totally respect your insights and advice, but the Belgian stones sound like another rabbit hole to charge down. I'm going to try and strenuously resist this. I suspect though that I'm going to fail miserably as usual :roll: :lol: :D
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
gladius

Post by gladius »

Radar53 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:25 pm
gladius wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 am
"Thanks", I think for this gladius. I love and totally respect your insights and advice, but the Belgian stones sound like another rabbit hole to charge down. I'm going to try and strenuously resist this. I suspect though that I'm going to fail miserably as usual :roll: :lol: :D
---
No hole at all, but it is an adventure. The BB's can transition from the synthetic SG4k edge to the natural edge perfectly. What is nice about these is they are so easy to use yet can be challenging depending how they are used. The garnets cut quickly with a shallow pattern so refine well in the 4-6k range. The Coticles from ~8k to one micron depending on water and pressure: plenty of refinement for knives.

As a recommendation for KurtS, it is perfect IMO without having to spend too much and achieve fantastic edges. I don't spend too much time at all sharpening but do so often, almost daily touching up with natural stones and very little steel is lost. The Shapton 3pc Set 500, 1K, 4K kit Mark put together is a great core and with a bare leather strop to finish produces a great edge. What is missing is a good carbon knife. Then...add a natural stone(s) after...
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Damn! Unfortunately that sounds like it's right in my lane & Christmas is coming!!
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!