Sharpening a 60 /50 grind?

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Celt16

Sharpening a 60 /50 grind?

Post by Celt16 »

Hi folks,

I recently purchased an AS sujihiki with a 60/50 grind, and I’m wondering what (if anything) I should do differently in the future when I want to sharpen it on my EdgePro Apex. I’m pretty solid sharpening - been using the Apex for several years now, but this is the only 60 / 50 grind I own, and I don’t want to mess it up. Thoughts appreciated.
Radar53

Re: Sharpening a 60 /50 grind?

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Celt.

for me, unless there is a specific reason for wanting to keep the asymmetric grind I just sharpen it as normal. If there is a reason then there are a couple of ways of working that.

If the sharpening angle is the same for each side then I just count strokes eg 6 on one side then 4 on the other. If it's different angles then I just treat each side as a separate exercise.

Hope that helps
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:46 am If it's different angles then I just treat each side as a separate exercise.
Assuming you want to try to maintain each side as the maker ground them (Grant's option #2) then I would:

Put sharpie on your first side (whichever) and get the EP set so it removes all the sharpie on that edge bevel without leaving a strip of black marker high or low. Record or mark that angle as accurately as you can. Then do the same with side B. If they are almost identical, then set the EP to that angle and sharpen as normal, switching sides when you get even burrs. If you're a couple degrees different, sharpen side one until you get a burr at the angle you measured, then change the angle on the EP and sharpen side B until you get a burr. You'll need to keep changing the angle as you switch sides as you go up grits (and then there's the thickness of the stones that may change your angles slightly, although that's par for the course with the EP; you can always use sharpie as you change stones).

That's going to be a little fiddly, but completely do-able.
David
Celt16

Post by Celt16 »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:46 am Hi there Celt.

for me, unless there is a specific reason for wanting to keep the asymmetric grind I just sharpen it as normal. If there is a reason then there are a couple of ways of working that.

If the sharpening angle is the same for each side then I just count strokes eg 6 on one side then 4 on the other. If it's different angles then I just treat each side as a separate exercise.

Hope that helps
No specific reason - it’s the first asymmetrical blade I’ve owned, and absent any reason to change it, sought advice before destroying its maker’s original design. It is most definitely a different angle, in fact when I first saw it, I thought I had purchased a single-sided blade. Can anyone opine on the alleged advantage / benefit to its original design?
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Some good write-ups on various sites if you search up knife asymmetry.

An asymmetrical knife will steer but it can be thinner and may move through food more easily in certain cuts.
David
Celt16

Post by Celt16 »

d_rap wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:24 pm Some good write-ups on various sites if you search up knife asymmetry.

An asymmetrical knife will steer but it can be thinner and may move through food more easily in certain cuts.
Thanks, will take a peek.