Handle Gallery

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
thegingerninja.abq

Handle Gallery

Post by thegingerninja.abq »

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for allowing me to upload this long overdue post! I appreciate the effort Mark has put into the making this forum awesome, and the guilt of not posting enough is starting to weigh heavy.

I know I get a lot of credit for making custom sayas around here, I mean, yeah, it's the name of my sub-forum, but I thinks fair to say that handle making represents a significant portion of my efforts. I do custom wa and western styles, and occasionally have been asked to do wa-conversions. Most of of the custom work is a mutual design effort between me and a client, where we discuss ideas and materials. I'll often be approached with a cool block of wood or a set of scales that someone found, and be asked to do my thing with it, while other times its offering for sale some of the custom handles I've roughed out and ready for finishing. Sometimes it's making a handle and saya combo, which just sends the options factor soaring. Whatever the case, I find that more often I'm being approached by you guys because you like my style, my design, or my artistic sensibilities (prices might something to do with it, but if I blow up, you know whats gonna happen to the prices right? :twisted: ), and it makes it all such an amazing experience, especially when you are happy when your knife arrives back home.

But to get the idea across, I think some pictures are in order. I hope you enjoy!

240 Kurosaki with an Ebony handle, house stabilized Maple burl, black and white Ebony collar and silver spacers.

ImageImageImageImage
These four are a set for a sushi chef in New York who has just been great at pushing me outside of my comfort zone. He provided me with the bulk of the blocks and scales, and I filled in with the rest. He gave tonnes of great design queues, but ultimately entrusted me to just do it right. It was kind of like a mystery box, where the main ingredient was to be used in each course.

Takeda 210: Purple heart saya with house stabilized claro Walnut, black dyed black Ash burl and copper spacer handle
Takamura Cromax petty: Spalted maple saya with a house stabilized spalted Tamarind scales lined with red and black fiber, and mosaic pins.
This was a custom commissioned project for newly wed family members who took a liking to my work and treated themselves to some good knives.

Carter Cutlery funayuki with Bocote saya and special dark Bolivian Rosewood handle with a water buffalo horn spacer.
thegingerninja.abq

Re: Handle Gallery

Kohetsu Shinano with in house stabilized Maple Burl and Ironwood Burl spacer.

Funayuki with Walnut saya, house stabilized and green tinted Maple burl, African Blackwood ferrule and silver spacer.

Shun Yanagiba with blue d-shaped curly Maple handle and silver spacer.

Lefty mode: Masamoto lefty usuba with Ebony handle, house stabilized Maple burl ferrule, black Ash collar and silver spacers and a Takayuki lefty yanagiba with house stablized Maple Burl, Ebony, Desert Ironwood Burl collar and silver spacers.

180 Teruyasu Fujiwara Gyuto (yeah sorry guys, I know there was some interest in this knife but my mom nabbed it. What are you gonna do huh?):
Curly Maple saya, house stabilized maple with African Blackwood Ferrule and pommel, and white g10 spacers.

Combo! Masakage Yuki with birdseye Maple saya, and a Maple, Blackwood, black Ash and silver handle.
dv/dt

Post by dv/dt »

Great stuff, Cody. That's some beautiful work.
sharksfan7

Post by sharksfan7 »

Damn, Cody. You do really gorgeous work. I need to send you my DT gyuto that needs a saya.
--Tony
ckreef

Post by ckreef »

Wow they are all really beautiful. Great work.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excellence at it's best Cody, you should be proud of each and every piece!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
thegingerninja.abq

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the support!
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

Sorry for delays but damn! your work is inspirational!
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
ChefJeff

Post by ChefJeff »

Gorgeous work. Love the burls!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Good stuff Cody, your tapers and dimensions look spot on.
GopherBroke

Post by GopherBroke »

You're getting there kiddo. Keep practicin' :lol:

Superb, as always!
thegingerninja.abq

Willison_Knives wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:18 pm Sorry for delays but damn! your work is inspirational!
Thank you brother!! It's not everyday that my work gets called inspiational :D Thanks!!!
ChefJeff wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 8:30 am Gorgeous work. Love the burls!
Oh the burls, I love em too! Thank you!
Kalaeb wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 12:55 pm Good stuff Cody, your tapers and dimensions look spot on.
You got the trained eye Matt, and I appreciate you taking notice. Thank you!
GopherBroke wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 2:52 pm You're getting there kiddo. Keep practicin' :lol:

Superb, as always!

:lol: , Oh Brian!!! Thanks dude!
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

thegingerninja.abq wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 10:30 am
Willison_Knives wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:18 pm Sorry for delays but damn! your work is inspirational!
Thank you brother!! It's not everyday that my work gets called inspiational :D Thanks!!!

You know someone actually said i was inspiring today. so yeah it feels awesome.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Tea_bagN

Post by Tea_bagN »

Beautiful work
Organic

Post by Organic »

I love the hot pink flamed maple saya. Nice work!
Timothywoomb

Handle Gallery

Post by Timothywoomb »

I have a Gerber 06 auto and need a replacement handle made one side, made out of 6061 or g10 i dont care.
smcmaui

Post by smcmaui »

Very nice work, where can one pick up some of your wa handles?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

smcmaui wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:03 pm Very nice work, where can one pick up some of your wa handles?
He does not post here much but is pretty active on Instagram. I think he has a round of premade going right now.