Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
XexoX

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by XexoX »

Phunguyen18 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:06 am Hi Guys,

Just founded this forum after doing some intensive research k. Carbon steel pan. After all the research, I am close to pulling the trigger to get the SB Forged...

Should I start off with their 11 inch medium size skillet or go all out and just get one of there full set?

I really like the Blanc creative handles, but since they started to hand spun their pan, I just look to finished for me. Can anyone offer review on the Blu skillet or Blanc Creative with SB forged?

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. Wish I could help, but I don't have any of the pans you are asking about.

Best of luck.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
flowerpower0186

Post by flowerpower0186 »

I want this "farmhouse" carbon skillet so bad I can't stand it. I especially love the handle.

https://smithey.com/collections/carbon- ... se-skillet
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

flowerpower0186 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:05 am I want this "farmhouse" carbon skillet so bad I can't stand it. I especially love the handle.

Wow that's gorgeous! Might have to talk the wife into getting me one too.
snipes

Post by snipes »

flowerpower0186 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:05 am I want this "farmhouse" carbon skillet so bad I can't stand it. I especially love the handle.

I'm really struggling to understand the value here. I'm all for paying a premium for a premium product that provides a better experience, but something marketed as a farmhouse tool and then charging almost $300 for it is head scratching to me. Is the value in that cooks better? Will last longer? Better materials? Or is it because it's pretty and probably hard to get? I'm generally interested in the value proposition here to those who covet one of these particular pans?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

snipes wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:19 am

I'm really struggling to understand the value here. I'm all for paying a premium for a premium product that provides a better experience, but something marketed as a farmhouse tool and then charging almost $300 for it is head scratching to me. Is the value in that cooks better? Will last longer? Better materials? Or is it because it's pretty and probably hard to get? I'm generally interested in the value proposition here to those who covet one of these particular pans?
I've a sense that it's the handmade aspect of these pans. You can put a name of an individual on it, or of a small team. There's more... Soul(?) In such a product (?)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

The same can be said for pretty anything. Do these perform 4 times better than a Debuyer... probably not. In addition to their cost being higher, you are buying an emotional response and supporting small craftsman.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Good question, but its similar to Damascus on knives or custom handles, window dressing...To me its a looker with some personality. Sitting on my stove or hanging from the wall its going to look good no matter what. And will the food I make in it taste better? maybe a bit just because of the experience. It is worth over $200 more than my mass produced Matfer? no. But everyone likes to splurge once in awhile for something nice!
snipes

Post by snipes »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:31 pm

Good question, but its similar to Damascus on knives or custom handles, window dressing...To me its a looker with some personality. Sitting on my stove or hanging from the wall its going to look good no matter what. And will the food I make in it taste better? maybe a bit just because of the experience. It is worth over $200 more than my mass produced Matfer? no. But everyone likes to splurge once in awhile for something nice!
Bob,
The Damascus comparison is a good one. I hadn't thought about it that way. I certainly enjoy a premium knife and can justify why it costs more...I also don't own any Damascus blades so my biases are reconfirmed. Not ready to lump in the custom handles though. :)
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

If someone is looking at a handcrafted / forged pan its for the aestetics of the product in these cases of carbon steel. We have mass produced carbon steel and they are tools. The pieces hand made by these craftsmen are what I'd describe as functional art. They are inspiring and beautiful to look at. If you are interested in value the craft made carbon steel isn't something to buy.
Banzai_Burrito

Post by Banzai_Burrito »

gastro gnome wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:20 am I've had a good experience with my Darto pan thus far. Seems more nonstick than my small Matfer in its current state (although that pan has not given me a many problems). The scratch on the cooking surface that I discovered upon arrival has not impacted performance.

Darto had a liquidation sale for seconds yesterday and almost everything sold quickly. The 27 cm pan is the only one still left. They refer to it as a 2nd because they inadvertently made this one 4 mm thick on the bottom instead of 3. They won't be making a pan with this thickness again. They also recently raised their prices which are now pretty much on par with Solidtecnik. If I was looking to buy another one-piece construction pan in this price range, I'd probably go with Solidtecnik given the fact that it is more likely to come with proper packaging (at least a plastic bag around the pan) and would probably have better (or at least English-speaking) customer service.

All that being said, the early results have been good with the pan I received.
Just a heads-up, Darto is selling the 4mm thick pan now. Its on their site as a pre sale at the moment
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Just as heads up for you good folks. Newquist Forge sent me an email, quote from it below.
All our products will be available for pre-order Saturday May 6, 2023, starting at 9am PST. Please order promptly, as we sell out within an hour. Our woks and pans are the most popular items.
I do like my wok I bought from them at Mr. Suburban and Lady Belle's recommendation.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Inmanjd

Post by Inmanjd »

Heart and Spade Forge, Roanoke, VA!
Beautiful craftsmanship, long wait! About the same prices as. Smithey in Charleston, but they are individually commissioned pieces.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I have some carbon steel pans from Santa Barbara Forge and Blanc Creatives. The SBForge are readily available on short wait times and are a good buy for hand made wrought iron. They have reduced prong on them right now. They are not light, but they cook beautifully.

https://sbforge.com/
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Also posted in Wok Suggestions.

Well, Newquist Forge is opening their on-line shop up for orders August 11th, 2023. See the quote below from an email I just received from them.
A note from us

Happy Summer!

You may have noticed, we had an online sale planned for July 21st, and have now changed it to August 11, 2023. August 11 we will open the online store for pre-order sales of cookware and garden tools.

Why did we change the date?! We have the good fortune of having my father (who is also an electrician) coming to visit, and he's going to help us wire a cabin. We couldn't miss this opportunity, so end of July, the blacksmith is laying down his hammer to pick up some wire cutters!

Please email or DM us @IG if you were hoping to gift a hand hammered wok or skillet for a wedding/birthday/anniversary, and we can see how many we can slip in before August 11.

Radha (and Erik)
Inmanjd

Re: heart and spade skillet

Post by Inmanjd »

Inmanjd wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:16 pm Heart and Spade Forge, Roanoke, VA!
Beautiful craftsmanship, long wait! About the same prices as. Smithey in Charleston, but they are individually commissioned pieces.

I received mine in late June, left the country for almost a month and am now breaking it in with onions, peppers with coconut oil. The weight is perfect and the wait was worth it.
Attachments
IMG_1017.jpeg
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Which one should I get?

Umm read thru first 15 pages of this topic and it brought back memories of buying my 12" Matfer which i use all the time. But have been drooling for years over one of the handmade ones with eyeball and Xmas is approaching. Don't read the next sentence Mark!
This year I think Id rather a $300 skillet than a knife (I know that's blasphemy but).
I'm wanting a 12 inch size in the 5lb range and would appreciate thoughts from those of you that might be lucky enough to have some (or all) of these please.

The choices are:
The height of these isn't mentioned.

No page for the pan its a pop up for Sonora Large Pan w/ Helper Handle
This one is 1.375" tall which isn't much.

https://www.newquistforge.com/products/ ... ch-skillet
Last edited by Bob Z on Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:23 pm Which one should I get?

Umm read thru first 15 pages of this topic and it brought back memories of buying my 12" Matfer which i use all the time. But have been drooling for years over one of the handmade ones with eyeball and Xmas is approaching. Don't read the next sentence Mark!
This year I think Id rather a $300 skillet than a knife (I know that's blasphemy but).
I'm wanting a 12 inch size in the 5lb range and would appreciate thoughts from those of you that might be lucky enough to some some (or all) of these please.

The choices are:
The height of these isn't mentioned.

No page for the pan its a pop up for Sonora Large Pan w/ Helper Handle
This one is 1.375" tall which isn't much.

https://www.newquistforge.com/products/ ... ch-skillet
Love my Newquist wok but for whatever reason, I don't use my Newquist pan nearly as often. I think it comes down to handle not being great for me. Have you considered something from Blanc Creatives' Heritage line? Those are my favorites. A new round went on sale recently but I don't know if they're currently available. I haven't used one of those Smithys but the handle on them looks problematic. I like my SB Forge pieces but I don't love the look (a lot of baroque-looking weavy business going on) and the handles are only moderately functional, IMO. Another option: if you're willing to wait until your number comes up, you can enter Blu Skillet's monthly lottery. I really like their pieces but they're a bit harder to acquire because of the lottery component. Okay, I realize that none of this was really helpful. I guess what I'm really saying is that once you identify a look you like, make sure the handle seems functional. IMO, that's where the biggest difference between these makers will manifest.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I have an SBForge roaster I love and a heritage Blanc Creatives skillet I also love.

I don’t think you could get a better value than the SBForge pan. It will be pretty heavy, but they hold heat well and evenly.

I could get two SBForge pans for the cost of the Blanc Creatives and they are equal in every way.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

stevem627 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:38 pm I have an SBForge roaster I love and a heritage Blanc Creatives skillet I also love.

I don’t think you could get a better value than the SBForge pan. It will be pretty heavy, but they hold heat well and evenly.

I could get two SBForge pans for the cost of the Blanc Creatives and they are equal in every way.
Oh, my. I hadn't noticed how much Blanc's stuff had risen in price. It's highly functional and quite beautiful but some of those items are now as much as ~40% more expensive than when I bought mine.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I like this pan and use it quite a bit.
There were two other pans offered briefly which I got and find myself using a lot now too. They are the Kirameki Iron Frying Pan 26cm ($35) & 24cm ($30). No page for them now. :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe Mr. Mark will get more if we ask nicely.