Outdoor knives

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
PaulT

Outdoor knives

Post by PaulT »

Here's a few I've put together. I prefer not to use stabilised wood on outdoor knives as I think they can feel a bit slippery in the hand, but as always there are the odd exceptions!

O1 with fiddleback maple. It's not a true hamon, I etched it purely for looks!
IMG_3545.JPG
Same design done for a friend in Damasteel and walnut, the walnut being requested specifically to match his hunting rifle.
skinner6.jpg
Same blade shape again, but this time with a hidden tang and a stabilised spalted/burl handle. I used an offcut of the damasteel from the knive above for the bolster, and the blade is white #1 core between unalloyed iron.
spalted_skinner.jpg
Small knife, O1 and walnut, almost like an outdoor parer.
parer.jpg
parer.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
Last one for now, a good camp chopping/machete blade in the style of an anglo saxon seax. Walnut, ash and copper in the handle. Blade is 1080 that was differentially hardened.
IMG_3604.jpg
Joshigon

Re: Outdoor knives

Post by Joshigon »

Good looking knives. Are they forged or stock removal?
Josh Cooper
PaulT

Re: Outdoor knives

Post by PaulT »

These are all stock removal. The big one was approaching a size where forging would become worthwhile though. On smaller knives I will usually stick to stock removal unless there's something specific about the piece of steel I'm working with that means I need to forge, like it's not quite long or wide enough, and I can reach my desired dimensions by forging it out a little.