Should I replace stock stones with Shapton Glass?

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Should I replace stock stones with Shapton Glass?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hello,

I currently have the Edge Pro Professional that came with the stock 220 and 400 grit stones. I did recently add a 140 grit diamond stone but I am trying to decide if it would be beneficial to replace the 220 and 400 grit stock stones with the shapton glass stones?

Can you explain some of the comparisons between the stones and benefits / disadvantages and if replacing w/ the shapton glass, what grits you would recommend as must haves

Would the decision largely be based on the steel I am sharpening?

As a refence, most of my knives are Japanese (shun, miyabi) style with a few hunting style type knives that are harder in nature (D2, S30-S35V)

Thoughts?

Patrick
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Should I replace stock stones with Shapton Glass?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Patrick,

The stock stones work fine. If you're curious about the Shaptons, many customers like them. They cut well and don't load up as quickly. Those are the primary advantages. You may want to use your current stones up and then try them.

Mark
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Patrick. I used the stock stones for way too many years before switching to Shapton Glass stones.

The standard stones are OKish for softer steels that are seen in say most Euro knives etc up to a hardness of about RHC 57 - 58. But the first decent steel that was decently hard I tried, VG10 at probably RHC60 - 62, was just a trial. Felt like skating on ice, wouldn't cut, took forever and was hard on the stones as well in terms of wear etc.

The Shapton Glass stones were like a "chalk & cheese" revelation when I got them, just completely in a different league. I also have some Nubatama stones as well which likewise perform at a level considerably beyond the standard stones.

As Mark says the SG's & Nubatamas cut faster, cut incredibly well, stay flat way longer, don't load up, take significantly less time. You will see immediate improvement, especially as it looks like if you are going to harder, more alloyed steels.

Having said all that the only standard stones I kept were the 1000 & 1200 (3000 & 4500 equivalent grit in SG's). Once you get to that level of refinement all the hard lifting should be done and you're then into more of a polishing situation the EP stones will clean up and refine an al;ready well established edge quite well & alos leave a nice finish.

Hope this helps
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Completely agree with Grant above.

That said, you can still get some good use out of the stock ceramics as Mark suggests. I spent years with just the stock stones on my EP Apex, often stopping and using knives sharpened with the 400, with the same kind of steels you mention, kitchen knives, fixed blades and EDC folders. The 220 will establish an edge bevel and get you a burr fairly efficiently even in D2 or S35vn, and the Shuns and Miyabis will be relatively easy. Depending on the knife and it's sharpness you can even begin with the 400. Experiment and if you can't get a burr in a few minutes drop down.

Not that you can't do much better, but the stockers are a start.

One approach would be to keep and use the ceramics, but to add say a Shapton Glass or even Shapton Pro 1K for EP now, and use one of these to finish your knives. The kitchen knives and the field knives would all benefit from a more refined edge than you'll get from the EP 400.

EP has their own diamond matrix stones to consider as well (I have them all and they're great for real "super steels" such as ZDP or M390) and Venev has diamond waterstones for EP. Just some more options to consider down the line.
David