Plates to flatten my EP Zane Venev stones

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Celt16

Plates to flatten my EP Zane Venev stones

Post by Celt16 »

My ID shows me as a noob, but I’ve been a customer since 2014, just inactive on forum for a while. I bought an EdgePro Apex 1 years ago to sharpen my own knives, and have more recently begun sharpening friends & neighbors knives for $. For my knives (all bought here) the EP stones were sufficient. However, in sharpening others’ knives (some junk, some German / Henkel, and some Japanese blades) I ran into a few German steel knives that ate up my EP 500, so I bought a 220 and 120 stone, followed by a full set of Venev Orion diamond stones.

I had been using a DMT 45 micron diamond plate to dress my original EP stones (#500 and finer) - but it’s too fine to make any impact on the courser stones. I just ordered the Atoma #140 to address the courser stones ... is there anything else I should consider adding to my sharpening inventory?
d_rap

Re: Plates to flatten my EP Zane Venev stones

Post by d_rap »

You are probably going to need silicon carbide, several grits, for those Venev stones, although you've got some time for sure. I would contact Konstantin at Gritomatic. He's the expert on all things Venev.
David
Celt16

Re: Plates to flatten my EP Zane Venev stones

Post by Celt16 »

Yep, Konstantin says DMT plate would round off the diamond nubs on the Venev stones, and concurs that glass plate and multiple silicon carbide grits were the way to go.