Shapton Glass separating from back

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Afjagjones

Shapton Glass separating from back

Post by Afjagjones »

My 500 Shapton Glass is separating from the metal backing. Anyone dealt with this? It appears the stone is warping, not the metal.

-Will
nakneker

Re: Shapton Glass separating from back

Post by nakneker »

Never heard or seen this, that sounds like something shapton or the retailer would warranty. A few pictures would help us understand what’s going on better.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
gladius

Post by gladius »

The backing on Shapton Glass stones is glass...are you referring to SG stones for Edge Pro?
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Will, I'll assume for now that you are talking about EP stones and my short answer is "No!"

Having said this, I have had issues with my EP stones "warping" between uses and started a thread about this - see here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1726&p=15504&hilit= ... ial#p15504

So, I'm wondering for your situation, if this warping phenomenon was repeated many times, could it then cause some slight de-lamination over time.

Just a left field thought
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
TotinChip

Post by TotinChip »

Yes, my SG 500 stone for the EP lifted very slightly off the aluminum blank at one end after a couple of years. I held them apart a bit more, put a small drop of superglue in the gap, gave it a few seconds to drip down in, squeezed it shut and clamped overnight. It has been fine since then.