New add on for EP—Slide Guide

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Delphonic

Post by Delphonic »

Delphonic

Re: New add on for EP—Slide Guide

Post by Delphonic »

Anybody tried one of these yet?
Otaku19

Post by Otaku19 »

I've used the 3 point guide on the Hapstone V6 and always wished it was made with tighter tolerances. I remember Cody saying that he had this prototyped quite a few months back. In my opinion, it is the ultimate addition to an Edge Pro because you will have much less hand fatigue when sharpening with the slide guide. The only problem that I see, just like with the 3 point guide on the Hapstone, is that when you sharpen a Spyderco, the spine above the heel will contact the inside point on the slide guide and could move the slide guide giving you a different position on the blade table. I've had the idea to use a plastic backer to prevent this from happening. I haven't procured any plastic for this idea yet
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

An interesting one this.

I like to get the edge of my knife to "hang over" the edge of the EP sharpening platform by about 0 - 2mm and keep that as a consistent metric while sharpening a complete blade. It keeps the sharpening angle more precise along the full length of the edge. Yes I know that's totally OCD!!

So six or seven years ago, I ordered about half a dozen standard guide plates with a view changing the profile of the leading edge into a few different curved edges as opposed to straight edge to try & help that process. I tried circular, elliptical and parabolic leading edge profiles, but ultimately I didn't find modifying the guide plates very helpful.

I make a lot of small "on the go" adjustments & move the knife blade around lots when sharpening, so I don't find things like the magnet or modified guide plates etc very helpful. Also on blades with well rounded spines I find a tendency for the spine to slip up over the edge of the guide plate, so I use the plastic guide clips, which wouldn't work with the slide guide.

If you get one, I'll be interested to know what your thoughts on it are.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
David_R

Post by David_R »

Can somebody explain what this does and how it helps? Is it about positioning the knife more accurately? About pivoting it on one of the points?
KrivoshejFM

Post by KrivoshejFM »

Thanks to everyone involved but what is new in these gauges? I ask this question only out of curiosity since i will not be able to try these for couple of weeks. In any case it is great to see new development in this plane.

Best regards.
<a href="https://prom-electric.ru/articles/8/107840/">Ремонт BARDAC DRIVE BOARD DC 16AMP 2.2KW 110/240VAC SUPPLY, 1600I-001</a>
gladius

Post by gladius »

KrivoshejFM wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:30 am Thanks to everyone involved but what is new in these gauges? I ask this question only out of curiosity since i will not be able to try these for couple of weeks. In any case it is great to see new development in this plane.
---
From the description...
The Slide Guide gives you 2 points of contact on the knife. This improves blade stabilization and allows quicker, more repeatable blade placement...It’s primary use is for blades that will be laid in one position and will not be moved while being sharpened.
Delphonic

Post by Delphonic »

Ben says it’s terrific for folders. I didn’t get the impression from him that there was too much benefit with bigger kitchen knives. Email Edge Pro and they’ll tell you everything you’ll need to see if it’s worth it for you.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Interesting. A bit pricey, but interesting.
Delphonic

Post by Delphonic »

I’ve never know edge pro to do deliver anything less than sturdy well thought out products. I’m sure they went through a bunch of cheaper and pricier prototypes before settling on one. I don’t hardly ever do folders, so it’s not for me, but every
Upgrade I’ve made from EP- the magnet, the clamp, the polishing tapes—these are all things I wish in retrospect I’d done sooner.