Photo of Edge pro rod modification

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Pelallito

Photo of Edge pro rod modification

Post by Pelallito »

Hello,
Long time lurker, finally joined forum. I am waiting for my hap 40 petty to arrive.
I have an ancient edge pro that I am adding cktg diamond and shapton pro stones to make it
work better with the harder steels.
I was hoping that someone can tell me where I can find a good photos of the rod modification,
In particular the plate that it slides into.
I’m also considering converting it to the new magnet system.
Thanks to all of the great contributors to this forum.
Fred
Radar53

Re: Photo of Edge pro rod modification

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Fred Lurker and finally welcome to the forum.

I'm not 100% sure just what you are after here, so I'll just go with what I think and please come back if I''m way off track or to fill in any gaps.

The "Mod Rods" were developed (2017 I think without checking) to improve the consistency of the grinding angle. They were originally designed for the EP Pro by forum member "MadRookie" and further extended to the EP Apex by forum member "SharpKnives". Unfortunately, neither of these guys are active on the forum any longer, and the rods are no longer available as far as I know.

MY EP Apex dates back to 1999, and because between 1999 and 2017 the design of the EP Apex changed, I had to modify mine to make it work.

This comes up from time to time and not so long ago I posted some stuff here <http://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vie ... 8&start=20> so have a look at that and also on the original forum where there was extensive coverage. If you need anything more don't hesitate to come back.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Pelallito

Post by Pelallito »

Hello Grant,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
That post is what led to my question.
I am thinking about making the modification, but I wondered how they centered the modified rod.
I have a professional, and think that you either add a piece to the back plate that’s drilled and reamed for the rod or an entire extra back plate attached to the original plate. I think the latter would be more elegant. That way you can swap between the two if one breaks.
That is why I was hoping to see a photo of a professional that had been modified. I’m curious as to how they resolved getting the rod centered, if they did.
My back plate has attachment screws right in the middle.
Again thanks for the warm welcome and the many contributions you’ve made over the years.
Fred
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Fred,

If I recall correctly, MadRookie replaced the whole backplate. He was pretty clever & also had a pretty complete workshop. On the old forum there were some posts from him that showed what he'd done, so if you want to delve into that, it might have photos showing the details you're after. My EP Pro has only one screw on the centre-line of the jig & one on each side, so I imagine that if you were doing a complete replacement you could design around the one offending screw.

Having said all that, I have used the ModRods for years on both my EP Apex and EP Pro just using the existing off-centre hole, with no problems.

Let me know what you find and decide to do.
Cheers Grant

Pelallito

Post by Pelallito »

Grant,
I will try to find mad rookies posts. It would be easy to make an extra plate.
I thought that you were bothered by being off centered.
I’m sorry if I miss understood some of the posts.
Thanks again,
Fred
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hey Fred, no problems from my end at all. If you look at the photo of my Apex as per the thread I referenced above, you will see that I've just gone for the easiest (read laziest) option. When I got the Pro it didn't require any work at all ~ simply plug & play.

All the best, let me know how you're going as you progress through this, if that's OK.
Cheers Grant

Otaku19

Post by Otaku19 »

I use this pivot unit on my Hapstone V6 since I don't have the upgrades for the Apex. The pivot unit is from MadEdge. It still seems to be off center on the Apex but it is a very smooth pivot. The only pivot that is smoother is on the newest version of the Hapstone.

Attachments
20210320_181145.jpg
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hey Anthony, nice compromise here and I will check out MadEdge on line. It certainly addresses the primary concerns of the stone arm "rattling" around in the pivot block. The "RodMods" also addressed a secondary concern and that was the angle change due to the offset of the stone arm to the vertical "angle setting" arm.

You're also an expert on the Hapstone gear & so you might have a view on something that I have puzzled over, but not been able to resolve? That is "Does Hapstone have a set-up that would have it's stone arm plug directly into the main pivot, on top of a rod which would plug directly into the base of the EP?"

My apologies for the rubbish description here, but I'm on holiday and don't have diagrams with all the correct terminology.
Cheers Grant

Otaku19

Post by Otaku19 »

Greetings Grant and thank you for the kind words! I don't believe there is a pivot out there like the MadRookie mod rod for the Hapstone. All of the models that I'm familiar with use a fixed angle rod. The angle rod slot is also offset to the left so that the pivot can be centered relative to the blade table
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Radar53 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:57 pm Hi there Fred Lurker and finally welcome to the forum.

I'm not 100% sure just what you are after here, so I'll just go with what I think and please come back if I''m way off track or to fill in any gaps.

The "Mod Rods" were developed (2017 I think without checking) to improve the consistency of the grinding angle. They were originally designed for the EP Pro by forum member "MadRookie" and further extended to the EP Apex by forum member "SharpKnives". Unfortunately, neither of these guys are active on the forum any longer, and the rods are no longer available as far as I know.

MY EP Apex dates back to 1999, and because between 1999 and 2017 the design of the EP Apex changed, I had to modify mine to make it work.

This comes up from time to time and not so long ago I posted some stuff here <http://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vie ... 8&start=20> so have a look at that and also on the original forum where there was extensive coverage. If you need anything more don't hesitate to come back.

HTH
...MadRookie is till around....

:
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Welcome back have certainly missed you and your input. Hope that all is well in your world and that we see more of you here. :D :D
Cheers Grant