Chocolate chip cookies.

Moderator: Bensbites

Bensbites

Chocolate chip cookies.

Post by Bensbites »

There was a request for me to post this recipe in the “baking much thread” I didn’t was to hijack that thread or post a link to a google doc, so let’s try this.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dinin ... ref=dining
Published: July 9, 2008
Adapted from Jacques Torres
Related
Perfection? Hint: It’s Warm and Has a Secret (July 9, 2008)
Time: 45 minutes (for 1 6-cookie batch), plus at least 24 hours’ chilling

17 oz all pourpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
coarse salt- 2.5 teaspoon
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
17 oz evaporated sugar cane
2-4 tbsps molassas
2 large eggs
2 tbsps natural vanilla extract
1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate, I like 60-66% ghirardelli

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
4. Make your favorite size cookie, I like about 1-2 tablespoons of dough. You can refrigerate over night and bake at 350-400 until golden brown and crinkle on top. I prefer to freeze all the dough balls on a sheet pan and store on a zip lock freezer bag. When we have company, I can bake the number I need.
Chappychap

Re: Chocolate chip cookies.

Post by Chappychap »

Thank you! Will be giving this a try!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I eagerly made these back in August and unfortunately, I didn't love them. If you read my post from back then, I felt like some of the issues were user-generated and some were recipe-based. Looks like Ben has modified the recipe a bit from the original and that's encouraging. I'm guessing the addition of molasses changes the character quite a bit. Thanks for sharing this, Ben. I may give this another shot, though I'm going to follow your recipe modifications, make them smaller and probably not waste my time using two flours that essentially combine into the equivalent of A/P flour.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
unclemike

Post by unclemike »

I made the New York Times “Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie” recipe, and they were great. The secret is refrigerating them and using bittersweet chocolate, like the OP’s recipe does. Oh, and using Maldon salt gives little pops of salt as you eat them.

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:06 pm I eagerly made these back in August and unfortunately, I didn't love them. If you read my post from back then, I felt like some of the issues were user-generated and some were recipe-based. Looks like Ben has modified the recipe a bit from the original and that's encouraging. I'm guessing the addition of molasses changes the character quite a bit. Thanks for sharing this, Ben. I may give this another shot, though I'm going to follow your recipe modifications, make them smaller and probably not waste my time using two flours that essentially combine into the equivalent of A/P flour.
I tweaked the sugars and salt, and vanilla, I like these a lot now.

Have you tried Stella parks brown butter chocolate chip cookies from bravetart?
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:06 pm I eagerly made these back in August and unfortunately, I didn't love them. If you read my post from back then, I felt like some of the issues were user-generated and some were recipe-based. Looks like Ben has modified the recipe a bit from the original and that's encouraging. I'm guessing the addition of molasses changes the character quite a bit. Thanks for sharing this, Ben. I may give this another shot, though I'm going to follow your recipe modifications, make them smaller and probably not waste my time using two flours that essentially combine into the equivalent of A/P flour.
I tweaked the sugars and salt, and vanilla, I like these a lot now.

Have you tried Stella parks brown butter chocolate chip cookies from bravetart?
Good to know. Will definitely try your modified recipe out. I haven't baked SP's brown butter chocolate chips but I did bake her take on Tate's Chocolate Chip cookies and they were outstanding. As for brown butter, I'm a true believer. Unless I'm making a cookie recipe for the first time, I almost always brown the butter now. It adds so much flavor to the end product, it's truly a missed bet to not include that step.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:58 pm... 17 oz evaporated sugar cane

...I prefer to freeze all the dough balls on a sheet pan and store on a zip lock freezer bag. When we have company, I can bake the number I need.
Hey, Mr. Bites, the evaporated cane sugar, is that the same as raw sugar? Basically a very light brown sugar?

Also, at what temp and for how long do you bake from frozen?

You should post pictures of a plate of these cookies.

Thanks!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

XexoX wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:55 pm
Bensbites wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:58 pm... 17 oz evaporated sugar cane

...I prefer to freeze all the dough balls on a sheet pan and store on a zip lock freezer bag. When we have company, I can bake the number I need.
Hey, Mr. Bites, the evaporated cane sugar, is that the same as raw sugar? Basically a very light brown sugar?

Also, at what temp and for how long do you bake from frozen?

You should post pictures of a plate of these cookies.

Thanks!
Ha. Yes, evaporated sugar cane is raw sugar. I tend to use organic sugar.

I bake at 375-400 F. For 10-15 min. It will vary from oven to oven. You will smell the cookies, then give them another couple minutes. To be honest, I stress eat a good bit of it raw. One of the reasons I don’t have any in the freezer.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bensbites wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:23 pmHa. Yes, evaporated sugar cane is raw sugar. I tend to use organic sugar.

I bake at 375-400 F. For 10-15 min. It will vary from oven to oven. You will smell the cookies, then give them another couple minutes. To be honest, I stress eat a good bit of it raw. One of the reasons I don’t have any in the freezer.
Thanks! I have some organic sugar, so that should do the trick.

Stress sucks, terrible that you go through that. :( Does chopping stuff up help? I understand eating it raw. I used to to that quite a bit myself. :cry:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

XexoX wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:21 pm
Bensbites wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:23 pmHa. Yes, evaporated sugar cane is raw sugar. I tend to use organic sugar.

Thanks! I have some organic sugar, so that should do the trick.

Stress sucks, terrible that you go through that. :( Does chopping stuff up help? I understand eating it raw. I used to to that quite a bit myself. :cry:
We all have stresses. Nothing new there. My Covid-19 lbs are almost gone from eating less. I would feel better if I continue this path for Atleast one more belt loop. Lol. The real stress relief for me these days is making knives.
17D73FF5-B983-4A2F-A753-25B42A3BA79B.jpeg
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Looks like a stunner!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bensbites wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:57 am

We all have stresses. Nothing new there. My Covid-19 lbs are almost gone from eating less. I would feel better if I continue this path for Atleast one more belt loop. Lol. The real stress relief for me these days is making knives.

17D73FF5-B983-4A2F-A753-25B42A3BA79B.jpeg
I really like that handle there!