Favorite Cookbooks and/or Kitchen Related Literature

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
mauichef

Re: Favorite Cookbooks and/or Kitchen Related Literature

Post by mauichef »

Jypresnell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 am On food and cooking
The flavor bible
The vegetarian flavor bible
Any of the Japanese culinary academy books
Culinary artistry
Ideas in food
Just grabbed all the Japanese Culinary Academy Books.
Working through the first now and loving it.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I have been flipping through a cookbook called “franny’s” based on the recs of a local chef. I like it, but many of the recipes are multi-parted and involved. In a previous like I would have looked at it as a fun challenge. Now, running the house, feeding the family and making your handles are the current priority. I have made a few recipes and they were met with high praise from the family.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

The Joy of Cooking
My now vintage Greek Cookbook
I Hear America Cooking (regional - great book)
An Escoffier book I picked a few years ago - (great reference for classic French)
Early 50's, 60's. Luchow's German Cookbook

On line:
Jacques Pepin
Raymond Blanc
Marco Pierre White
Gordon Ramsay
Michel Roux Sr.
Oh and Chef John
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've been reading Milk Street, Christopher Kimball's newish mag. So far I am very impressed. Excellent writing and a focus on food in the rest of the world - what I always thought CI and CC lacked. Recently I made excellent recipes for Indian dal, Israeli hummus, Moroccan harissa and a soba noodle dish with kale.

Seems Kimball had an awakening a few years ago to the amazing variety of food outside of 1960s Vermont. (-:
Jeffry B
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I just picked up the Food Lab. I know Kenji's stuff is available on line, but I felt like since I get so much from him, the least I could do is buy his book. I also picked up Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat and that looks amazing. And best literature -- Kitchen Confidential.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ok guys, what is your favorite cookbook for a daily reference? Just one.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

keithmarder wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:14 pm I just picked up the Food Lab. I know Kenji's stuff is available on line, but I felt like since I get so much from him, the least I could do is buy his book. I also picked up Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat and that looks amazing. And best literature -- Kitchen Confidential.
---
Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat on Netflix is a good watch if you haven't already seen it.

https://www.netflix.com/TITLE/80198288
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 pm Ok guys, what is your favorite cookbook for a daily reference? Just one.
Amateur here, but Flavour Bible is something I use most days when I'm cooking. I open it 10x more than any other book I own.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Drewski wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 pm
Jeff B wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 pm Ok guys, what is your favorite cookbook for a daily reference? Just one.
Amateur here, but Flavour Bible is something I use most days when I'm cooking. I open it 10x more than any other book I own.
Thanks Drew!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
cjdilts

Post by cjdilts »

Just finished "medium raw" by Bourdain. He is a writer on an unparalleled level. My favorite writer. For those of you who have never read his works; you are doing yourself a huge disservice. One of the biggest loses of our time.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I recently re-read "Kitchen Confidential," which is haunting because he mentions depression and alludes to suicide. It is so sad because unfortunately we know how the story ends.

I also just got Kenny Shopsin's "Eat Me," Kenji's "Food Lab" and "Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat."

My sister-in-law gave me a book called the "The 100 Most Jewish Foods."

So, a couple of fun reads and a couple of scholarly texts.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

keithmarder wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:11 pm I recently re-read "Kitchen Confidential," which is haunting because he mentions depression and alludes to suicide. It is so sad because unfortunately we know how the story ends.

I also just got Kenny Shopsin's "Eat Me," Kenji's "Food Lab" and "Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat."

I wonder if that last one is mainly focused on American-Jewish food. I'd warmly (and flavorfully, and colorfully) recommend an Israeli-food cookbook 😎

On a different note
I just recently got for my birthday Jaques Pepin's Techniques (the updated version). So much to look at
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:41 pm
keithmarder wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:11 pm I recently re-read "Kitchen Confidential," which is haunting because he mentions depression and alludes to suicide. It is so sad because unfortunately we know how the story ends.

I wonder if that last one is mainly focused on American-Jewish food. I'd warmly (and flavorfully, and colorfully) recommend an Israeli-food cookbook 😎

On a different note
I just recently got for my birthday Jaques Pepin's Techniques (the updated version). So much to look at
It is mainly Eastern European Jewish foods
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I am reading Ed Levine's "Serious Eater." Not a cookbook, but does have some recipes. Definitely, an interesting memoir.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Does anyone use Ottolenghi books? I saw the new (I think?) "Simple" in the bookstore and thought this might be good for my less ambitious brother. Just wondering what others think about this author, or if there is any other opinions? Cheers.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Drewski wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:32 am Does anyone use Ottolenghi books? I saw the new (I think?) "Simple" in the bookstore and thought this might be good for my less ambitious brother. Just wondering what others think about this author, or if there is any other opinions? Cheers.
I have a couple of his books and I have cooked a few of his recipes. They have all worked out brilliantly. If you like Middle Eastern cuisine, I would recommend his books.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

arthurfowler wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:32 pm
Drewski wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:32 am Does anyone use Ottolenghi books? I saw the new (I think?) "Simple" in the bookstore and thought this might be good for my less ambitious brother. Just wondering what others think about this author, or if there is any other opinions? Cheers.
I have a couple of his books and I have cooked a few of his recipes. They have all worked out brilliantly. If you like Middle Eastern cuisine, I would recommend his books.
Agreed. Reliable, delicious, easy-to-follow, well-written recipes.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:24 pm
If you like that type of cuisine, do yourself a favor and hop a plane over there ;)
Ring me up if you want some tips
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Altadan wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:45 pm
If you like that type of cuisine, do yourself a favor and hop a plane over there ;)
Yeah, my son spent a couple of weeks in the region last January and is still talking (aka gloating) about what he ate. One of these days . . .
Last edited by ronnie_suburban on Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:22 pm
Altadan wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:45 pm
Yeah, my son spent a couple of weeks in the region last January and still talking (aka gloating) about what he ate. One of these days . . .
Indeed! Spent 2 weeks in Israel in 2017. Some of the best eating in all of our travels around Europe. Especially the vegetarian cuisine. Would love to go back and see more in that area of the world.