Got a nice rice cooker, let's talk rice

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
salemj

Re: Got a nice rice cooker, let's talk rice

Post by salemj »

What a great thread! Thanks for your specific reply above, joanjet.

I've had rice cooker rice many times (haven't we all?), and often it is not as good as what I make at home, but that by no means makes me skeptical—I know these are relied on around the world. Besides, my rice isn't always perfect, and so all of the points you make certainly ring true. As many above mention, a lot of it has to do with "knowing your rice"—every time a try a new brand I definitely have to tweak a bit of the cooking processes. Oddly enough, though, I find the process of making rice to be one of my favourite in the kitchen.

I've been eating lots of rice bowls this year. I hate to call them "poke" bowls, because I rarely use raw fish. But I do often combine cucumber, avocado, some matchstick carrots, green onion, and a dressing with fish, chicken, or steak in a bowl with seasoned rice (a mild sushi rice, usually) and some nori and sesame seeds. Deee-lish. I mention this because it is a great "leftover" dish, meaning once you make some sauce and have things on hand, it can be tossed together quickly with some rice, fresh or reheated. It always feels like a super "fresh" meal, even when it only takes 5-10 minutes to prep up. Give it a try! (There are so many variations...you can make even faster bowls using pickled and roasted ingredients with brown rice...)
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I bought a Zojirushi rice cooker well over 20 years ago, and it's still going strong, when fried rice became a staple in our house.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Miles

Post by Miles »

As much as i hate single use kitchen appliances, the rice cooker is one that if you even occasionally eat rice- you gotta have it. The warm feature (after cooking) is key. I hear the argument for using the pan, it's not hard, and there's nuances if you want crunchie edge rice. I do love the consistency and brainlessness of it.

Medium grain/calrose is my mainstay, but i like the different variations that other folks do. Chicken bouillon or a stock is a nice add. Splitting sweet rice and calrose is tasty too. Brown Jasmine is a favorite with the deep flavors with thai food. I hear folks throw vegetables in their cookers too.

Don't forget the furikake (sprinkles)!
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

Miles wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:23 pm Don't forget the furikake (sprinkles)!
Oh my, I need to get my hands on this stuff.

I wish it was available without the sesame seeds, can't find any varieties without them.

But I'll definitely be trying some of this very soon, might end up making my own to my liking
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:37 pm I bought a Zojirushi rice cooker well over 20 years ago, and it's still going strong, when fried rice became a staple in our house.
I'm a green horn. I bought mine in 2005. :lol:
joanjet wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:28 pm
Miles wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:23 pm Don't forget the furikake (sprinkles)!
I wish it was available without the sesame seeds, can't find any varieties without them.
I think this recipe, minus the sesame seeds, would get you most of the way there . . .

https://www.justonecookbook.com/homemad ... seasoning/
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Miles

Post by Miles »

*mind blown* The thought had never crossed my mind to make my own furikake.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I would not be without a rice cooker. Zojirushi midl level model. Rice cookers are especially good with brown and sticky rice.

The only rice I don’t cook in them is Carolina Gold.
Jeffry B
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I’m just revisiting this thread and I saw the discussion about furikake. I frequently make batches of stir fry sauce, and other sauces that use bonito flakes, kombu, and dried shitake. I read a great idea to just keep the leftover “used” solids once you filter them out and take them and dry them and add things to them to make furikake. It was a great idea. I add different types of sesame seeds, and shichimi , etc to make good furikake.
ronnie_suburban

In case anyone's interested, MTC Kitchen is currently running a 15% off special on Zojirushi products, including rice cookers . . .

15% off Zojirushi Sale
=R=
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Lol got tired of seeing this for this topic. Had a zojirushi for a few years and it was great, but was it worth the almost 200 over a plain Aroma cooker for bout 32 bucks, nah. Of course there is a $48 buck model to get which is probably nice. Lets face it, put rice it, boil it till done and keep warm till use, is that worth over $200 when you could get a nice knife?
salemj

Post by salemj »

I felt like I'd share that a friend of mine recently treated me to biryani during a celebratory visit, and he used classic India Gate basmati based off of a recommendation. Granted, the biryani was quite involved and the saffron, butter, milk, and various fragrant waters may have made a big difference, but I found this rice to be quite excellent for the price in terms of size, bite, and texture...taste and fragrance were also great but more influenced by the dish.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Parish Rice a lower glycemic index rice and higher in protein than other rices, what more could you ask for? I've got 15 pounds on order. I'll post about it, when I've gotten to try it.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

XexoX wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:41 am Parish Rice a lower glycemic index rice and higher in protein than other rices, what more could you ask for? I've got 15 pounds on order. I'll post about it, when I've gotten to try it.
Yes, let us know what you think of it, please!

And about those Zojirushis--I love them! I'll admit to having more than one...
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:52 pm
XexoX wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:41 am Parish Rice a lower glycemic index rice and higher in protein than other rices, what more could you ask for? I've got 15 pounds on order. I'll post about it, when I've gotten to try it.
Yes, let us know what you think of it, please!

And about those Zojirushis--I love them! I'll admit to having more than one...
It is good. I think I prefer my Homai Calrose Rice, Premium Sushi Rice from Costco (which I use for everything). I thought I'd put the usual amount of the Parish rice in my rice cooker, but realized there was too much water, so I went to put more rice in and added the Homai instead of the Parish, so it was about 1/3 Homai and 2/3 Parish. So, not a "pure" text yet. When I've eaten that up, I'll try again!

Oh, I thought I was ordering 3 five pound bags, but it was 3 two pound bags, so not cheap, especially when you add the shipping. Came out to $5/lb.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

We switched to Haiga Mai rice which is between white rice and brown rice. It is better for you than white rice, but cooks and eats mostly like white rice. We like brown rice but don’t love it for every day use over white. Haiga Mai (Nishiki) is now our regular rice.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

stevem627 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:20 pm We switched to Haiga Mai rice which is between white rice and brown rice. It is better for you than white rice, but cooks and eats mostly like white rice. We like brown rice but don’t love it for every day use over white. Haiga Mai (Nishiki) is now our regular rice.
Thank you Mr. M627. I'll find a small bag and give it a try. I'm not a fan of brown rice, no matter how good it is for you.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Well I’ve become a HUGE fan of Weee! here in DFW. The cost of the annual fee has changed things for our menu totally. The food quality and pricing has been exceptional for our pantry and produce. We can get two deliveries per week at no cost and no minimum. Unfortunately HMart and 99 Ranch are almost 20 miles from us, so the deliveries save us a lot of time. I do factor the tipping into the picture and, for us, the service is invaluable. It is easy to shop and they do an incredible job of packaging all items (including using dry ice when necessary).

Here is an article about Haiga Mai rice for those interested.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... ce-article
Last edited by stevem627 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ronnie_suburban

XexoX wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:40 pm
stevem627 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:20 pm We switched to Haiga Mai rice which is between white rice and brown rice. It is better for you than white rice, but cooks and eats mostly like white rice. We like brown rice but don’t love it for every day use over white. Haiga Mai (Nishiki) is now our regular rice.
Thank you Mr. M627. I'll find a small bag and give it a try. I'm not a fan of brown rice, no matter how good it is for you.
I too, appreciate the tip on the Haiga Mai. Thanks, Steve.

That said, I'm a fan of brown rice but I have to say that I don't really think of it as rice, per se. I think of it more like its own specific type of grain, akin to bulgur, quinoa, etc. It's similar to my feelings about something at the very opposite end of the spectrum: White Castle. I really do enjoy sliders but I don't actually of them as hamburgers. They're just their own thing. :P
=R=
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Ronnie that’s a great analogy about brown rice. To us, brown rice is definitely its own thing and can be used but not so much in place of rice.
mjgillen

Post by mjgillen »

I used to make rice for sushi in a regular pot and it was always a PITA. Then I got a decent Japanese automatic rice cooker it wasn't very expensive and worked well. Make sushi rice perfectly every time. Loved it! I got my rice at the local asian market (at the time in Seattle, store was Uwajimaya). I really enjoyed making my own sushi for years. Uwajimaya had small trays of sushi quality fish so I could make just a few pieces if I wanted or I could buy a slab and make a lot for a party. Really a great store. Loved their fresh oysters - yum!