Is it safe to leave a baking stone during a self cleaning cycle?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
XexoX

Is it safe to leave a baking stone during a self cleaning cycle?

Post by XexoX »

Like the subject says, is it safe for the baking stone to stay in the oven during a self cleaning cycle? Need to run it for my oven.

Guess I should clarify, will the baking stone survive and still be usable?

Thanks!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

Re: Is it safe to leave a baking stone during a self cleaning cycle?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I'd definitely take it out. There's no harm in taking it out but you run the risk of cracking or damaging it if you leave it in. And there's no benefit to leaving it in, either.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:22 pm I'd definitely take it out. There's no harm in taking it out but you run the risk of cracking or damaging it if you leave it in. And there's no benefit to leaving it in, either.
Thanks Ronnie. Guess I was hopin' I could leave it in, lazy dontchaknow. :mrgreen:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

With checking with the manufacturer. I own some Dough Joes and the owner told me to leave them in on self clean in order to clean burnt on cheese off them.

But - bigger issue at play - it's worth doing some searching online to validate that the self clean for your oven model does not accelerate parts wearing out. I used to use the feature fairly flippantly until one day (mid-pandemic of course) the oven display went on the blink. Managed to get it working but a lot more cautious now. Researching, it turns out this may be traceable back to self clean being more a stealth process of harakiri...
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Chappychap wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:23 pm With checking with the manufacturer. I own some Dough Joes and the owner told me to leave them in on self clean in order to clean burnt on cheese off them.

But - bigger issue at play - it's worth doing some searching online to validate that the self clean for your oven model does not accelerate parts wearing out. I used to use the feature fairly flippantly until one day (mid-pandemic of course) the oven display went on the blink. Managed to get it working but a lot more cautious now. Researching, it turns out this may be traceable back to self clean being more a stealth process of harakiri...
Thanks for the info. I have no idea what brand my baking stone is. I bought it at least 20 years ago, not even sure when or where.

As to the self-cleaning oven, I don't use it that oftern. I believe this is the 4th or 5th time I've used it in almost 20 years.

Sounds a bit like washing machines. My mom had a repair for hers, years and years ago, who told her she should be running it with a cup of washing soda once a month to make it last longer. When she asked him why that wasn't in the instructions, he told her that they wouldn't sell as many then.

Next time I use it I'll leave the stone in, it is already running now. I had it at 450 for almost two hours, so I figured I'd just do the self cleaning while it was already at that temp, save some energy maybe.