Using only Shapton pro 2000 for carbon and sg2.

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
cutresistant

Using only Shapton pro 2000 for carbon and sg2.

Post by cutresistant »

I'm trying to get a stone working better for harder steels than my current King deluxe 1000/6000.
I found I don't need 6000 grit and liked the bite from Shapton pro 2k. It seems that it will be very economical(for money and labor) if I can use it as the only stone.
My question is if it is fast enough to use as a main medium stone carbon and sg2.
Thanks for any help.
FisherMAn1298

Re: Using only Shapton pro 2000 for carbon and sg2.

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

I bought the shapton glass 500 extra thick, 2k and grey 4k stones for myself last Christmas. The 2k is head and shoulders above the others. I liked the 500, not the grey 4k.Too hard, lousy feedback. You won't be able to remove chips, etc. with the 2k but just to get it sharp if it's not beaten up it should be ok. Get a 220-500 to go with it and you should be fine. I use nubatama now, I like them above all other stones. Personally, I enjoy sharpening higher grits. Now that I have the Yaginoshima Asagi natural stone at 6-10k I use that to finish when I want a heavier bite. MOst of my knives are kept sharp all the time. 'Stropping with nanocloth and .1 pdp emulsion after use. That brings my edge right back topaper slicing smooth!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Hey cutresistant,

I've got the Shapton Glass 500, coupled with the Pro 2000, and I too like the bite the 2k leaves. I find the finess lacking only when cutting very certain meats or fish, but otherwise, all my blades will push, pull - or chop when I fancy - through anything very smoothly :)

I'd say if you're keeping-up your knives routinely (i.e., not letting them dull completely) you may well fly with the 2k for a good long while. I find that about once (maybe twice) a year, depending on the knife/steel, I like to drop down to SG500 and give it a proper "opening."
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there cutresistant and welcome to the forum.

Here's another great 2k stone to think about;
Kohetsu 2,000 Grit Sharpening Stone ~ https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko2grst.html

I know it's not a Shapton Pro, but it has to be my favourite stone. I also go straight from my Shapton Glass 500 to the Kohetsu no problems at all. The K2k has great feel, cuts like crazy, doesn't dish much, is great for kasumi type finishes, very nice finish.

While I have a lot of Shapton stones I don't have and sadly have never used the Shapton Pro 2k so I can't make a direct comparison and the SP2k has a great rep on this site. Just wanted to offer up an alternative for you to consider, which also has a good following here.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

cutresistant wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:44 pm I'm trying to get a stone working better for harder steels than my current King deluxe 1000/6000.
I found I don't need 6000 grit and liked the bite from Shapton pro 2k. It seems that it will be very economical(for money and labor) if I can use it as the only stone.
My question is if it is fast enough to use as a main medium stone carbon and sg2.
Thanks for any help.
Yes. The Shapton Pro 2K will handle the high hardness carbon and SG2 steels just fine, and 2K typically produces great working edges. You can use this as your only stone if you maintain your edges frequently (i.e. as soon as you notice dulling).
Altadan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:01 am I'd say if you're keeping-up your knives routinely (i.e., not letting them dull completely) you may well fly with the 2k for a good long while. I find that about once (maybe twice) a year, depending on the knife/steel, I like to drop down to SG500 and give it a proper "opening."
As Altadan points out, eventually, you will need to adjust overall bevel geometry (thin behind the edge). For this, a 320 or 500 grit stone is a good choice. The frequency at which you need to use the coarser grit stone will relate to your own cutting style, cutting surface, and preferences for feel.
Greg
cutresistant

Post by cutresistant »

Thanks for all your valuable opinions and experiences. :D

I don't use a knife very long but rotate knives frequently and workload is pretty light with push or draw cut. I think it will be a long time away if I need any thinning. I also have 400 grit Atoma diamond plate which I mainly use to flatten the stones. I guess I can use it for heavier cuts but probably get a 320 grit stone if I need since I don't like a blade grinding on a metal.

The bite is very distinctive after sharpening on the Sp2k. Feels the knife stops momentarily when the blade contacts the board in push or draw motion. But it seems to go away about 30 minutes of use ,well at least with VG10 blade.

By the way, is there any actual difference between leaving the bite as it is and polishing it off with a higher grit for keeping the sharpness for keeping the sharpness longer?
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

cutresistant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm By the way, is there any actual difference between leaving the bite as it is and polishing it off with a higher grit for keeping the sharpness for keeping the sharpness longer?
There's not one "right" answer to this (lots of variables). For most people, and especially for VG10, a 2K toothy edge is a great working edge. The edge degrades as soon as you start using it, but you don't notice the degradation that much because the edge retains its toothiness for some time. (And VG10 can be a bit fragile when refined too far.) The high hardness carbon steels can generally take a 4K, or even an 8K, edge and maintain cutting efficiency; especially if the overall bevel geometry is dialed in. From a physics perspective, the more refined (narrower) the edge, the higher the pressures are at the edge. Higher pressures result in higher material stresses which result in faster material breakdown (dulling). What really matters, of course, is finding an edge that satisfies your needs. For me, as a sharpener, its a bit of a guessing game. I favor 2K edges on typical run-of-the-mill chef knives.
Greg
cliff

Post by cliff »

My own preferences have been changing. I'm surprised how much I like a 2K edge for a range of things. But I generally like a more polished edge. For me, 4K is a good all-around kitchen edge (especially with high carbide steels), when I don't know what I'll be cutting -- but more often I'll finish my chef's knife at 6K or with a suita or Ohira Tomae.

I would add an SG320. Jumping from 320 to 2K works for me. Then I'd consider something in the 4K-6K range, if you feel like you're missing something -- or just stay with the 2K
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Do the 2K edge and then strop on bare rough side leather, or get a strop with a good compound. Keeps it toothy, but refines the edge a bit more without polishing it and losing the toothiness.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

Opinions on the Naniwa Aotoshi 2K (green brick)? Have thought of getting one in the past - out of stock currently.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

You’ll either love the brick or hate it. Very soft, slower cutter, great polisher. Exceptional finishing stone for softer stainless.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

PaulME wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 am Opinions on the Naniwa Aotoshi 2K (green brick)? Have thought of getting one in the past - out of stock currently.
I've bought it twice and sold it twice, just never could make the connection.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
atang

Post by atang »

PaulME wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 am Opinions on the Naniwa Aotoshi 2K (green brick)? Have thought of getting one in the past - out of stock currently.
I love it. Doesn’t always play well with every knife under the sun, but I like to reach for it when working with stainless clad knives. It gives me an idea as to how a knife may react to a polish progression. Decent stone for pre-polish on damascus too especially stainless.
atang

Post by atang »

cutresistant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm By the way, is there any actual difference between leaving the bite as it is and polishing it off with a higher grit for keeping the sharpness for keeping the sharpness longer?
Depends on the knife and the ingredients you plan to cut. For the SG2, I like the bite off of a 2k stone and will leave it there. The carbons can go to a higher polish, but usually not necessary unless you’re serving raw veg or raw fish. YMMV
riton

Post by riton »

shapton 2K is a nice stone actually. It bites well even for a SG2 knife, and leaves a semi-polish surface. It has the potential to meet your requirement.