How low can you go?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

How low can you go?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

What angle would you estimate Mr. Masutani is sharpening at?

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
salemj

Re: How low can you go?

Post by salemj »

Really hard to guess with such a short video and so few stable pictures, but it does look like he's developed some deposits just below the shinogi line, so I'm guessing that he was actually thinning the edge at under 5 degrees before putting a little microbevel on it (you can see him shifting the angle when the jump-cut and he works on the tip). No idea, though...boy do I hate super-short social media format videos! haha.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

He looks like he is thinning the blade so I would estimate 5-10 degrees. He is doing this on a pretty coarse stone so I wouldn't expect an outstanding edge.

Ken
ken123

Post by ken123 »

He looks like he is thinning the blade so I would estimate 5-10 degrees. He is doing this on a pretty coarse stone so I wouldn't expect an outstanding edge.

Ken
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

It looks to me as if he is thinning on the first stone. Certainly a low angle 5-10 degrees. Also the sound is one you get when abrading a larger surface. He's at a higher angle on the second stone which is where the edge is established. I enjoyed that "notional" strop on newsprint. :-)
Greg
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I did have a pic done some time ago of a edge done at 3.0, 5.0 and 7.0 degrees on a Takeda sujihiki. It was done using a Gizmo an early sharpening device that to this day accomplished a number of firsts.

Ken
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I did have a pic done some time ago of a edge done at 3.0, 5.0 and 7.0 degrees on a Takeda sujihiki. It was done using a Gizmo an early sharpening device that to this day accomplished a number of firsts.

Ken
taz575

Post by taz575 »

He thinned it a bit, but if you look at the very end of the video, the cladding line goes almost into the edge bevel near the tip, so it doesn't look like much thinning was done on that one side at least? He was doing a chip repair and got the chips out, but it may be a bit beefier behind the edge. I didn't see what the other side of the blade looked like cladding wise though?
atang

Post by atang »

Wow. Very low! Single digits. Great looking shinogi too. Fantastic!