Which wood for DIY sink bridge

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
playingfetch

Which wood for DIY sink bridge

Post by playingfetch »

I got an order in this weekend for some sharpening supplies. I think I'm going to have to put together a sink bridge that has some adjustments since the stones aren't an identical size and I don't have an adjustable counter top stone holder. What wood is good to use for this? Would some oak trim work?

I was planning on making a sandwich using two pieces of wood with a layer of 6 oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy to stiffen it up a bit. Probably about 1/4" thick for each of the wood pieces. Does that sound good or should I go thicker for the wood? Is there a better wood choice that I should look for at the local hardware store? Thanks!
Attachments
25.jpg
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
Kalaeb

Re: Which wood for DIY sink bridge

Post by Kalaeb »

When I did mine I just used a 2x4 and it worked like a champ for a number of years. It was pretty back woods but it worked like a champ.

With the price of everything now, unless you have scraps lying around it is almost cheaper just to get this:https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sinkbridge.html

I purchased it a few months ago and have been very impressed with the build/cost quality.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

M. Fetch, I can't help in regards to your quesiton. I just want to say though, that is a lovely cutting board you have there.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

Thanks, Kalaeb. I haven't priced wood in the hardware store lately but heard prices have gone up. I can see what's floating around the barn. Usually I've got a couple 2X4's around plus other scrap. I thought about buying a sink bridge but I want to try out my stones and am waiting to buy the miscellaneous items like that until I get my next knife (I've been waiting for months for a yu kurosaki fujin AS).

Thanks, XexoX! It's been a nice board and was priced quite well. Just needed some sanding and oil.
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I made mine out of cutting board material. It's lasted for years and will even hold fairly large stones.

Ken
salemj

Post by salemj »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:52 am When I did mine I just used a 2x4 and it worked like a champ for a number of years. It was pretty back woods but it worked like a champ.

With the price of everything now, unless you have scraps lying around it is almost cheaper just to get this:https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sinkbridge.html

I purchased it a few months ago and have been very impressed with the build/cost quality.
I have to say that the first thing that came to mind was bamboo, and low and behold, the one linked above is, in fact, bamboo.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Awesome stones, what grit is that silver bad boy? Looks like if you dragged it across your counter it would tear it out!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

It's a 150 grit diamond flattening plate. Should make quick work of fixing stones.
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

I’m in the 2x4 camp cheap and fast, shoukd you want it wider jump to a 2x6