Substitute for tomato test?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
beanbag

Substitute for tomato test?

Post by beanbag »

Hello,
Is there a good substitute for a test to check whether an edge won't bounce off the skin of a tomato?
I mean, without using an actual tomato because that's wasteful.
d_rap

Re: Substitute for tomato test?

Post by d_rap »

If an edge will glide easily, from heel to tip through a piece of newspaper, particularly against the grain (or soft magazine paper, phone book paper, catalog paper, etc.) it will cut tomatoes well.

That doesn't necessarily tell you very much about the durability of the edge, but neither does a few cuts in a tomato.
David
beanbag

Post by beanbag »

I'm sorry, but this test didn't work out for me, or maybe I am not aware of subtle differences.
I compared a Takamura Chromax and Kono GS+ (recently sharpened by me, but not that well) and both cut thru a sheet of paper equally smoothly and quietly. Note that I said "equally", but that does not mean very quiet nor super smooth. The Takamura easily dropped down thru the tomato while the GS+ slid a little bit and then dropped down, but not as quickly. I'm not blaming the knife or anything, just my ability to sharpen.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Where they both fresh off the stones and what was the progression?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
atang

Post by atang »

Maybe try a loose dough recipe and wrap in Saran Wrap? Once it rises a little it could substitute as a skin like a ripe tomato. You could apply multiple wraps to mimic a thicker skin. It won’t be the same as the tomatoes, but you could get a handful of test sessions reusing the same dough. I haven’t tried this personally, but just a thought that came to me.
beanbag

Post by beanbag »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 pm Where they both fresh off the stones and what was the progression?
Takamura: Don't remember, it was too long ago. All I did right before the test was Knives Plus white strop
GS+: 1) out of the box plus white strop. Does so-so on paper test, so-so on tomatoes
2) briefly tried to sharpen with Shapton 2K, then white strop. Does similarly to Takamure on paper test, ok+, but not good, for tomatoes.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Beanbag, I think you need to look at your ability to keep your sharpening angle steady, and also make sure you get a good burr formed and removed. My best guess is you aren’t getting the burr removed well and when lined up from stropping it you have a “sharp” but fragile edge that folds over quickly on use.

The best overall “test “ for knife cutting is in your usage of the knife.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Please don't be offended as I'm not trying to p*** you off. Having seen the back & forth a bit, I'm left wondering if an easier path forward might come more quickly by taking a bit of a step back. Peter Nowlan, one of the professional sharpeners on this site has produced some great educational videos as a "sharpening series" if you like. I think these are great because Pete is very straight forward, no BS, no agenda and focuses on the essentials.

Peter Nowlan Sharpening playlist videos <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeU3jv ... 2_OVHOS0CQ>
Peter Nowlan Sharpening / KnifePlanet playlist videos <https://www.knifeplanet.net/knife-sharp ... ne-course/>

Often, when I hit a bit of a stall, I'll go back and review these and work through it from there. So here's the references & there may just be some gems here that help out.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excellent advice Grant, Peter Nowlan got me over a few hurtles!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I enjoy a rolled up paper towel test, particularly at lower grits. If a slightly sharpened ootb edge isn’t cutting it, start over on a coarse stone and see how the knife acts with an edge completely your own. Pass the rolled up paper towel test on whatever your coarsest stone is and you should have an easier time for the rest of your progression.
beanbag

Post by beanbag »

oh, that sounds familiar. Is the paper rolled to a diameter of approx 1inch?
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I use select a size rolled in a manner to make the longest tube to account for multiple tests as I go… probably rolled to just under an inch in diameter to maybe around an inch, you don’t want it too tight or too loose, I’ve never actually measured but try to roll it to the same spot every time for consistency sake. If it can cut the rolled up towel, it’ll cut a tomato; however, how it cuts the towel will give you clues on how good of an edge you have. Sometimes you’ll skate on a part and “attack” the towel on others. A clean, effortless cut evenly from heel to tip is the goal.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I can’t use food to test at work but newsprint that we use to pack boxes is readily available so it makes a good repeatable test material for me.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

beanbag wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:36 am Hello,
Is there a good substitute for a test to check whether an edge won't bounce off the skin of a tomato?
Paper towels will give me a good idea if I still have any burrs but I don't have a shortage of tomatoes either.

My favorite tomato edge is a 800 chosera (edge trailing) followed by a few strokes on a translucent ark (edge leading), nice and toothy.
beanbag

Post by beanbag »

Bear007 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:06 am
My favorite tomato edge is a 800 chosera (edge trailing) followed by a few strokes on a translucent ark (edge leading), nice and toothy.
Hmm, never heard of using Arkansas stone as final step. Learn something new every day.
Is That Blood?

Post by Is That Blood? »

Bear007 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:06 am
beanbag wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:36 am Hello,
Paper towels will give me a good idea if I still have any burrs but I don't have a shortage of tomatoes either.

Great looking cherry tomato plants you got! What are you using for a trellis system there? I see the rebar, but what is the orange stuff hugging the tomato plants? I have always used cattle panels for my stuff. In fact, at the beginning of the growing season, the garden looks like some sort of abstract artist show done by those cows from chick-fil-a.
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

Is That Blood? wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 am Great looking cherry tomato plants you got! What are you using for a trellis system there? I see the rebar, but what is the orange stuff hugging the tomato plants? I have always used cattle panels for my stuff. In fact, at the beginning of the growing season, the garden looks like some sort of abstract artist show done by those cows from chick-fil-a.
I didn't mean to derail this, it's a 7' rebar rack with baler twine and tomato clips, my neighbors love me. :lol:
Is That Blood?

Post by Is That Blood? »

Thank you!