Carbon blade care how much effort is it really?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
lsboogy

Re: Carbon blade care how much effort is it really?

Post by lsboogy »

My Carter 52100 blade came with a patina that I think was a hot vinegar fume soak for a long time - blade is quite black and never discolors anything and seem to only need wiping for the most part (I wipe down blades often - very often - probably more than needed. But I love forced patinas - my daughter has a few carbon steel blades that I have patinaed for her - use a mix of mustard and vinegar (make a paste so that it sticks to the blade) and I have "written" her name or initials on the blades she takes to work (use straight mustard and a toothpick to put her name on, leave for half an hour, and then rinse, dry, and patina the rest of the blade - no other blades like Em on the planet and she loves them). A good patina will also pretty much prevent rust and discoloration of product once deep enough.
stalliondawg444

Post by stalliondawg444 »

I think patina adds beautiful character to a carbon knife. My favorite so far is my Shigeki Tanaka Damascus Petty - looks like an ocean of blue and purple after a few weeks of use primarily on meat
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

lsboogy wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:35 pm My Carter 52100 blade came with a patina that I think was a hot vinegar fume soak for a long time - blade is quite black and never discolors anything and seem to only need wiping for the most part (I wipe down blades often - very often - probably more than needed. But I love forced patinas - my daughter has a few carbon steel blades that I have patinaed for her - use a mix of mustard and vinegar (make a paste so that it sticks to the blade) and I have "written" her name or initials on the blades she takes to work (use straight mustard and a toothpick to put her name on, leave for half an hour, and then rinse, dry, and patina the rest of the blade - no other blades like Em on the planet and she loves them). A good patina will also pretty much prevent rust and discoloration of product once deep enough.
Do you have any pictures of the mustard patina?
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I have several carbon knives somer clad with iron some with stainless but I have never had an issue with them. I have one 300mm chefs knife made with 1095 steel that has a very nice patina but has never rusted and I wasn't very careful with that knife for the past 40 years. Use it rinse it off when your done and wipe it dry with the dish towel.
theejlee

Post by theejlee »

My daily driver is a Kohetsu AS. I quite like the patina. Makes for a beautiful contrast to the stainless cladding. I do wipe the knife down after every use to prevent rust.
bLoebs

Post by bLoebs »

This is a perspective question! I have a cast iron from Smithey, a lodge carbon steel skillet, and some stainless steel pans that all get more love attention and mental anguish than my 6 j knives. The only J Knife that takes up more mental anguish is my FM Fuji White IRON CLAD because I got a little rust on it over the summer cutting tomatoes and other juicy things. I've been chasing that beast ever since....
Calcifer1

Post by Calcifer1 »

What kind of maintenance does a honyaki require?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Calcifer1 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 pm What kind of maintenance does a honyaki require?
No more maintenance than any other carbon knife.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Calcifer1

Post by Calcifer1 »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:07 pm
Calcifer1 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 pm What kind of maintenance does a honyaki require?
No more maintenance than any other carbon knife.
Would you say you can feel a difference vs a regular carbon knife
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

bLoebs wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:39 pm The only J Knife that takes up more mental anguish is my FM Fuji White IRON CLAD because I got a little rust on it over the summer cutting tomatoes and other juicy things. I've been chasing that beast ever since....
You sure that was even rust? My FM W1 has very colorful patina, including some relatively rust colored splotches that are just part of the reactive quality of the blade.
David
shiupo

Post by shiupo »

Calcifer1 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm Would you say you can feel a difference vs a regular carbon knife
It can be subjective but should feel similar to mono-steel carbon knives. You can check a video from Salty comparing mono Masamoto KS and Honyaki. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOHx14MMDMw)
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Not much care at all but, I don't mind a patina. A few of my blades did patina heavily at first but they either calmed down by the initial oxide being protective or in some cases I helped it with a coat of renaissance wax which seems to last quite a while as a barrier. I just rinse and wash if necessary and towel dry.
cliff

Post by cliff »

For Honyaki, it depends if you want to maintain the polish. Simply to prevent rust, you can treat it as any other reactive blade. Since there's no iron cladding, it should be less reactive than many knives. But a big part of the appeal of a Honyaki is the polish. To keep it looking good and see the Hamon, you will need some polishing skills.
bLoebs

Post by bLoebs »

d_rap wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:01 am
bLoebs wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:39 pm The only J Knife that takes up more mental anguish is my FM Fuji White IRON CLAD because I got a little rust on it over the summer cutting tomatoes and other juicy things. I've been chasing that beast ever since....
You sure that was even rust? My FM W1 has very colorful patina, including some relatively rust colored splotches that are just part of the reactive quality of the blade.
It rubbed off on paper towel :( Maybe east coast summer humidity? It took a few different sessions with bar keepers friend and rust erasing to remove. Regular oiling has kept it at bay
Calcifer1

Post by Calcifer1 »

cliff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:01 pm For Honyaki, it depends if you want to maintain the polish. Simply to prevent rust, you can treat it as any other reactive blade. Since there's no iron cladding, it should be less reactive than many knives. But a big part of the appeal of a Honyaki is the polish. To keep it looking good and see the Hamon, you will need some polishing skills.
What's needed to polish the blade
Calcifer1

Post by Calcifer1 »

shiupo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:56 pm
Calcifer1 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm Would you say you can feel a difference vs a regular carbon knife
It can be subjective but should feel similar to mono-steel carbon knives. You can check a video from Salty comparing mono Masamoto KS and Honyaki. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOHx14MMDMw)
I have another question would there be a down side to making a gyuto with a bit of a belly for chopping and a k tip
shiupo

Post by shiupo »

Calcifer1 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:51 pm I have another question would there be a down side to making a gyuto with a bit of a belly for chopping and a k tip
I think this would depend on personal preference and cutting style. That's why we have so many knives to choose from and forums to discuss. :)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

bLoebs wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:26 pm
It rubbed off on paper towel :( Maybe east coast summer humidity? It took a few different sessions with bar keepers friend and rust erasing to remove. Regular oiling has kept it at bay
Cutting something as acidic as tomatoes and not getting it cleaned up in a timely fashion will definitely bring on the rust on iron cladding. Carbon steel fairs better but iron cladding doesn't play.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
bLoebs

Post by bLoebs »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:09 pm
bLoebs wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:26 pm
Cutting something as acidic as tomatoes and not getting it cleaned up in a timely fashion will definitely bring on the rust on iron cladding. Carbon steel fairs better but iron cladding doesn't play.
Amen. It was a major learning lesson. I now continuously wipe as I move through different products
cliff

Post by cliff »

Calcifer1 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:50 pm
cliff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:01 pm For Honyaki, it depends if you want to maintain the polish. Simply to prevent rust, you can treat it as any other reactive blade. Since there's no iron cladding, it should be less reactive than many knives. But a big part of the appeal of a Honyaki is the polish. To keep it looking good and see the Hamon, you will need some polishing skills.
What's needed to polish the blade
I am not an expert on this. I think it depends on your goals. Keeping the original finish is for all intents and purposes impossible. To keep the patina off and keep the contrast with the Hamon, you will need some natural stones -- at least finger stones and some sandpaper.