Which Shapton glass stone to go to from 4K?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
FisherMAn1298

Which Shapton glass stone to go to from 4K?

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

I have 500,2k,and 4k. Any suggestions on what should be my fourth and final stone?
thanks to all for your help and Happy Holidays! :)
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
jacko9

Re: Which Shapton glass stone to go to from 4K?

Post by jacko9 »

4K should be enough but they do make a 8K stone that I have but I just don't use it much.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Do you get any real improvement out of the 8k at all? They have a number of high grit stones, it can get crazy. 10,16,30k and at big money. Do you strop after the 4k? thanks for all your comments jack09, I read you all the time. I felt my first burr the other day after grinding away on a set of cheap stones without much success. I'm slashing paper and cutting hair now.
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
jknife

Post by jknife »

If you don't have a strop I would get one before a higher grit stone. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and really want to buy a stone I would suggest a 220.
My reasoning is that as you get more proficient at sharpening, and once we are allowed to have friends over, your friends are going to marvel at how sharp your knives are.Once they get their jaws off the floor they are going to ask you a favour. The knives they bring you to sharpen are likely to be very dull (I once asked a friend "when was the last time you ate a ripe tomato?"). This is when you will really appreciate having a 220 grit stone as it will save you a lot of time not to mention wear and tear on your 500. Happy Holidays to you.
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I use a cherry wood strop from my wood shop where I can hand plane the surface and keep the wood pores open. I use 0.75 micron CBN Emulsion that I got from Ken and I use it every time I take my knives out and hit it just a few times to keep that "razor feel".
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

If you are wanting to stay with Shapton, I’d go with the 6k stone. If you were open to trying other stones, I’d go with one of the Imanishi Japanese Natural Ohira Tomae Stones that Mark sells or the Splash and Go 6k stone from Japanese Knife Imports. Both are really unique and offer a different finish, but beautiful polish in their own unique way.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

4K is a good place to stop IMO. Most of my kitchen knives finish with a 3 or 4K stone and then get stropped on a loaded roo strop. I have a lot of higher grit stones and it can be fun to play around with those. They can get a very fine edge but that edge isn’t very toothy, it can still be very effective.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

jknife wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:59 pm (I once asked a friend "when was the last time you ate a ripe tomato?"). This is when you will really appreciate having a 220 grit stone as it will save you a lot of time not to mention wear and tear on your 500. Happy Holidays to you.
This statement gave me a very hearty belly laugh :)
theejlee

Post by theejlee »

I use 500, 1000, 4000 and 8000 Shapton Glass Stones. If I’m feeling really ambitious, I’ll also finish on a leather strip with diamond compound.
stewssy

Post by stewssy »

I go to 6 k, and then a snowhite 8