tip up or down?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
jknife

tip up or down?

Post by jknife »

Hello
I am receiving a magnetic knife holder today and have a question. For some reason I assumed that the knives would be placed tip down. Most pics I have seen online of knives mounted on a mag bar show the knives with the tips up. The area I will be mounting the holder on is limited verticaly so I have to decide which way they will hang before mounting the holder. Is there any logic behind tips up or down?
Thank you.
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
Cutuu

Re: tip up or down?

Post by Cutuu »

I would go tip up. Just in case one falls off you have a better chance of it not nose diving and the tip receiving direct impact of the crash.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I do it both ways. It comes down to personal preference.
bruin

Post by bruin »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:14 am I would go tip up. Just in case one falls off you have a better chance of it not nose diving and the tip receiving direct impact of the crash.
Second this
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I go tip down because of the proximity to opening a cabinet, but where space allows I go tip up. It all depends on where you want it and what works for you. I have never lost a tip as a result of storing tip down.
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

Tip up.

Had a friend who had it tip down. One day he was reaching for a knife while being distracted, accidentally sliced his finger on one of his knife. Everything got switched to tip up. At least in that configuration he'll most likely bump the bottom of the handle first.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Cigarguy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 pm Tip up.

Had a friend who had it tip down. One day he was reaching for a knife while being distracted, accidentally sliced his finger on one of his knife. Everything got switched to tip up. At least in that configuration he'll most likely bump the bottom of the handle first.
I hang mine tip up for this reason. My rack is pretty high on the wall(6') and I don't want me or anyone accidently bumping or hitting a blade on the bottom side of the rack.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
stewssy

Post by stewssy »

i would say tip up. a lot safer to grab the knife, less likely to stab yourself. just dont jam the knife in the ceiling lol
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

How much is the answer depend on the balance point of the knife? Seems like tip-up will also be more stable and is certainly what I'm used to seeing.
wrathen

Post by wrathen »

really depends on the kitchen setup and what is around. If I can set it up how I want it I always prefer tip up, but I have had a kitchen area one time I had to do tip down cause it was easier and safer to grab the knife that way