Show us your new knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Re: Show us your new knife!

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm I received my little Kuwabara today too...also got this really cool knife vise from Jamison Chopp and Alex Horn that I used to round the spine:

Side note, careful gents, the Kuwabara is super chippy.
Kalaeb...I'm a noob with J knives and I also received a Kuwabara. Is uncladded (is that a word?) W#2 prone to chip more than a cladded W#2 knife?
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Kalaeb I'm looking into getting one of those vices thanks for posting that.

The significant majority of knives on the site have softer cladding, either stainless or high carbon/iron. W2 is usually cladded, either with stainless or reactive carbon. An uncladded knife is "monosteel."

But it's the core steel peeking out at the bottom, the middle layer of the sandwich, that does the cutting and that you sharpen and that can be chippy.

Then frequently, when you do sharpen it, some of the steel at the very edge that may have been fatigued wears away and you get a more stable edge.
David
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:31 am
Kalaeb wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm I received my little Kuwabara today too...also got this really cool knife vise from Jamison Chopp and Alex Horn that I used to round the spine:

Kalaeb...I'm a noob with J knives and I also received a Kuwabara. Is uncladded (is that a word?) W#2 prone to chip more than a cladded W#2 knife?
This particular one is clad with a softer iron. They are not, IMO, more prone to chipping. Chipping can be caused by a number of things, high HT, angle of grind, user error. I dont know for sure, but this feels like a slightly higher HRC, that coupled with a nice thin grind (and my using it on an epicurean board) made it chip. Easy fix with one or two sharpening sessions, but I think this one, out of the box, would benefit from some time on the stones.

Actually a really fun knife to use. Despite its 120mm length, the added height makes it feel longer than it is.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

d_rap wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:53 am Kalaeb I'm looking into getting one of those vices thanks for posting that.
I am really impressed with it, it is well thought out and the build quality is well executed. I believe Jamison said they were working on an attachment from the handle side as well to do some blade work.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:56 pm

This particular one is clad with a softer iron. They are not, IMO, more prone to chipping. Chipping can be caused by a number of things, high HT, angle of grind, user error. I dont know for sure, but this feels like a slightly higher HRC, that coupled with a nice thin grind (and my using it on an epicurean board) made it chip. Easy fix with one or two sharpening sessions, but I think this one, out of the box, would benefit from some time on the stones.

Actually a really fun knife to use. Despite its 120mm length, the added height makes it feel longer than it is.
Thanks Kalaeb; two things that I really about this knife: the height and the octagonal handle. If it had about a 7" blade, it would/could/might be my always go to knife. With my brief introduction to J knives, I've learned I don't like D handles, oval handles are neutral in like/dislike and octagonal is Goldilocks.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Konosuke Fujiyama Usuba 210mm White #2 with Black Buffalo Horn and Ebony handle

I simply cannot resist Original Fujiyama single bevels :D

Mahalo Carlos!

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Beautiful Ray!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

I wondered about the incoming Kono single bevel you mentioned.

That's just fabulous! And the way that glistening ebony complements the blade...wow.
David
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

d_rap wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:36 pm I wondered about the incoming Kono single bevel you mentioned.

That's just fabulous! And the way that glistening ebony complements the blade...wow.
Thanks mate.
I love those ebony and black horn handles. I now always try to spec them when I buy a Kono!
I just sent an old single bevel Fujiyama kiritsuke to Japan to have refurbished...will try to get the same handle for it.
Jeff B wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:22 pm Beautiful Ray!
Mahalo brother!
dmonterisi

Post by dmonterisi »

super lucky to snapg one of these in last week's sale. just a lovely, nimble, elegant blade. looking forward to breaking it in tomorrow. I really love the ziricote/striped horn handle. magnificent workmanship.

Last edited by dmonterisi on Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

^^^ Nice snag (Tetsujin?).I didn’t see those on new arrivals.
I really hope to see more of those being produced.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Stunning knife and great shots. Thanks for sharing and congratulations 👏👌
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

Wjhunt wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:54 am ^^^ Nice snag (Tetsujin?).I didn’t see those on new arrivals.
I really hope to see more of those being produced.
It’s the “Eagle” Kaiju I believe
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

Wow that’s nice. I would be extremely happy with the Tetsujin. The Kaiju would be even better.
That’s very nice. I’m so jealous. Congrats.
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

IMG_20210322_111155_257.jpg
My 52100 k-tip 210mm gyuto with ironwood, jade and turquoise handle. Osage orange saya.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Nochop! wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 pm IMG_20210322_111155_257.jpg

My 52100 k-tip 210mm gyuto with ironwood, jade and turquoise handle. Osage orange saya.
Very nice! Lots of style without looking overwrought.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Captaincaed

Post by Captaincaed »

EE7D1248-4985-48D4-9AE4-689B326B06BF.jpeg
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Very nice Dalman 😋
How about some details!
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

mauichef wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:20 pm Konosuke Fujiyama Usuba 210mm White #2 with Black Buffalo Horn and Ebony handle

I simply cannot resist Original Fujiyama single bevels :D

Mahalo Carlos!

Simply impeccable knife stem to stern. Single bevels are always so well polished and ground. gorgeous! Usubas are my favorite single bevel, true elegance.
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:26 pm
Kalaeb wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:56 pm

Thanks Kalaeb; two things that I really about this knife: the height and the octagonal handle. If it had about a 7" blade, it would/could/might be my always go to knife. With my brief introduction to J knives, I've learned I don't like D handles, oval handles are neutral in like/dislike and octagonal is Goldilocks.
Love the knife and the vise is awesome. Do you have a link for that Kalaeb? I also grabbed the Form special. I love the height of the blade, W#2 for $50. can't beat that. Put it right on my shaptons and gave it a good clean and polish, spent extra time on the naniwa snow stone #8000 grit and boy does she scream now!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."