Ken Schwartz Passed Away

We're interested in doing a monthly donation to charities and we want to spread it around and help good organizations that interest you. If you post your favorite charity in this Forum we'll consider giving to it.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Ken Schwartz Passed Away

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I wanted to wait until I got confirmation on this so I called the Coroner's office where Ken lived and they told me he passed away on September 11th.

I don't know anything else at the moment.

Rest in Peace my friend. I'm going to miss your epic phone calls and good storytelling and sense of humor.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
KnightKnightForever

Re: Ken Schwartz Passed Away

Post by KnightKnightForever »

Damn, man. That really hits me in the feels. I contacted him to be a resource after his wife passed away and we weren't able to connect. Truly sorry about your friend, Mark.
- Chef Chris
taz575

Post by taz575 »

RIP Ken. But at least you are at peace with your wife Mani now. We will miss your knowledge and expertise on the forums.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Very, very sad. Ken had a profound impact on my life and he will be greatly missed.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Such very sad news.

May his memory be a blessing.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

No😩
I just spoke to him last week.
R.I.P my friend.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Very sad news. Ken was an invaluable resource and teacher and a wonderful, caring person.
David
MajorMajor

Post by MajorMajor »

He was always very friendly when I bugged him about some sharpening advice. RIP Ken.
Is That Blood?

Post by Is That Blood? »

Knives cannot cut so deeply.

I am sorry for all of those that knew him personally. I hope time will quickly mend the wound.

RIP Ken
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

Very sad news to heard, I’ve learned something from Ken about some stone advices, very friendly guy. RIP Ken.
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

That's terrible news. He was really a nice guy.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

sigh

I was just telling my wife about him this week, after having broken out a stone from him I haven't touched in a year.
Uff...
He truly was a huge resource to this forum, its members, and much more.

May his memory be a blessing indeed
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Wow - how truly astonishing just after his wife passed. I will miss him a lot he was such a caring guy!
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Very sad & saddened to hear the news ~ at least he's reunited with Mani. This forum will certainly miss his knowledge & expertise.

RIP
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Wassabi777

Post by Wassabi777 »

Very helpful and kind to me in our few interactions, my condolences to his family and his friends in the knife community.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

I joined this group in November of this year. One of the first things I noticed was Ken's posts. So many people getting answers from the same man. Very quickly I decided to see if I could get a dialogue going and maybe learn something but deep down I was looking for a mentor. WE hit it off right off the bat. One phone call turned into daily calls. He was smart, quick-witted and utterly devoted to this forum. We talked every day about what was said in various posts. What his opinion was on how to solve various repair posts, etc. The phone was always on speaker with Mani at his side. She took a liking to me and it was my great good fortune to become her friend too. She had a great laugh and a zest for life, despite being bed-ridden by the time I met her. He was totally devoted to her. She was his whole life and i suspected from the day she passed that this would be his fate. That life without Mani wasn't meant to be. He said the last couple times I talked to him that he had to tie all the loose ends and then get with the living of life but I knew his heart wasn't in it. After we got to know one another I told him my intent was for him to become my mentor all along and he said he was glad I did. He always had an instant answer to any question and from the day Mani died not a sunset passed without our daily discourse. When it happened I didn't know what to do for him, me being all the way across the country so I did what any good Italian boy does, I sent him food! I sent him seafood from my hometown, the oldest fishing port in America!! He was a HUGE lover of every and any type of cuisine and he thanked me profusely and ultimately sent me a gift in return, a Yaginoshima Asagi natural stone which I shall cherish always. I felt great pride and good fortune that he let me help him get through his heartache. The last time we talked was Thursday September 9th. He wasn't feeling well and I asked him to drop a one liner if he didn't feel like talking so I knew he was ok.He did on Sept. 10th. i'm ok, Thanks for caring. Ken. Those were his last words to me. He died the next day.This man who loved to help others, especially here in this forum. I want everyone to know how much he loved being part of this forum, even though he had friends and colleagues all over the world, this is where his heart was. There are many long timers he was very fond of but he took great pride and pleasure in helping new members like myself. He also of course held Mark and Susan in especially high regard as friends, colleagues and just plain great people.Please know we've all lost a friend here. Right now I am filled with sadness and loss but it will lessen over time but the memories of Ken, his giant intellect and rapier wit will remain with me always, as will Mani too.I will forever miss his trademark phrase when answering my calls in that booming voice of his, "House Of Schwartz here!." I would reply hey Mudman, what's up and he would laugh!
Rest in peace and God Bless You Ken Schwartz.
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
KnightKnightForever

Post by KnightKnightForever »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:38 pm I joined this group in November of this year. One of the first things I noticed was Ken's posts. So many people getting answers from the same man. Very quickly I decided to see if I could get a dialogue going and maybe learn something but deep down I was looking for a mentor. WE hit it off right off the bat. One phone call turned into daily calls. He was smart, quick-witted and utterly devoted to this forum. We talked every day about what was said in various posts. What his opinion was on how to solve various repair posts, etc. The phone was always on speaker with Mani at his side. She took a liking to me and it was my great good fortune to become her friend too. She had a great laugh and a zest for life, despite being bed-ridden by the time I met her. He was totally devoted to her. She was his whole life and i suspected from the day she passed that this would be his fate. That life without Mani wasn't meant to be. He said the last couple times I talked to him that he had to tie all the loose ends and then get with the living of life but I knew his heart wasn't in it. After we got to know one another I told him my intent was for him to become my mentor all along and he said he was glad I did. He always had an instant answer to any question and from the day Mani died not a sunset passed without our daily discourse. When it happened I didn't know what to do for him, me being all the way across the country so I did what any good Italian boy does, I sent him food! I sent him seafood from my hometown, the oldest fishing port in America!! He was a HUGE lover of every and any type of cuisine and he thanked me profusely and ultimately sent me a gift in return, a Yaginoshima Asagi natural stone which I shall cherish always. I felt great pride and good fortune that he let me help him get through his heartache. The last time we talked was Thursday September 9th. He wasn't feeling well and I asked him to drop a one liner if he didn't feel like talking so I knew he was ok.He did on Sept. 10th. i'm ok, Thanks for caring. Ken. Those were his last words to me. He died the next day.This man who loved to help others, especially here in this forum. I want everyone to know how much he loved being part of this forum, even though he had friends and colleagues all over the world, this is where his heart was. There are many long timers he was very fond of but he took great pride and pleasure in helping new members like myself. He also of course held Mark and Susan in especially high regard as friends, colleagues and just plain great people.Please know we've all lost a friend here. Right now I am filled with sadness and loss but it will lessen over time but the memories of Ken, his giant intellect and rapier wit will remain with me always, as will Mani too.I will forever miss his trademark phrase when answering my calls in that booming voice of his, "House Of Schwartz here!." I would reply hey Mudman, what's up and he would laugh!
Rest in peace and God Bless You Ken Schwartz.
Sorry for your loss.
- Chef Chris
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

Mark, are you going to buy Ken’s merchandise and sell it on your website?
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

Ken was a good guy. I bought lots of stones and strops from him. Never had any issues.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

It’s very sad to lose a wonderful person. Ken was a tremendous source of information and also a good resource for members here.

Ken will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.