Best gas grill ever!!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Santas_101

Best gas grill ever!!

Post by Santas_101 »

I’ve spent the last few months trying to figure out what type of bbq I wanted. I looked at the Kamado and the Santa Maria style grills and wasn’t a fan of how heavy and how long it took to get hot, even though I love the flavor that charcoal imparts onto food. Therefore, I crossed that off the list and continued my search. I then looked at pellet style grills and was really impressed with the Yoder and Pitts N Spitts brands. They both used top notch raw materials and were made in the USA, but I just couldn’t see myself buying bag after bag of pellets and I don’t particularly care for smokey wood flavors on things like steak, shrimp, pork tenderloin, and other similar items. Thus, it led me to a gas grill, but I didn’t want just any typical big box gas grill. I went to my local bbq store and as I soon as I laid eyes on I knew I found what I was looking for. It was the Napolean Phantom Prestige 500 gas grill. It’s all black, it has 4 burners, stainless cast aluminum cooking grates, 80,000 btu’s, infrared sear side burner for searing red meat, and an included rotisserie. I’m in heaven. It gets delivered Friday.

For those of you who want to check it out here is the link:
https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/p ... bpmk-3-phm
playingfetch

Re: Best gas grill ever!!

Post by playingfetch »

That's one heck of a grill! I switched over to charcoal from gas years ago, but that sure makes me think about returning.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Good name. The Phantom!
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
jknife

Post by jknife »

Congratulations on the purchase! Looks like you are in for a great weekend. Whats on the menu?
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

We need some pictures I think. I'm hungry.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Dzieke

Post by Dzieke »

In my experience with low and slow barbecue, nothing compares to a live wood fire for genuine barbecue taste. I know that gas and pellet smokers are convenient and no muss, no fuss, but the finished product (ribs, pulled pork or brisket) do not take on the same smoke flavor as when smoking with wood chunks.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I guess charcoal smokers are out too then by that logic. It doesn't matter what makes the heat. My brother has an electric smoker for the convenience just like you say but the smoke comes from real wood just lit by electric. The barbecue is as smoky and good as any I've had from any other smoker. Just because there have been ways to figure out how to do something easier and more convenient doesn't make it an inferior product.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:47 pm I guess charcoal smokers are out to then.
Nope that’s what I have 👍👍.

Oh wait that was sarcasm 😂😂
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Wait! Are we seriously going to have a fight about BBQ?! OMG! :D :lol: I never thought such a conflict would find its way to these shores. :lol:
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

We don't fight, we "discuss", sometimes enthusiastically though... :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

There’s a phrase in life…is the juice worth the squeeze?? Well if you have the time time a wood smoker is the way to go, but who has the time to constantly check the temperature, keep adding more wood, and so on. In the end it’s just more convenient to have a gas or pellet grill. The ease of use and efficiency make it a no brainer.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Santas_101 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm There’s a phrase in life…is the juice worth the squeeze?? Well if you have the time time a wood smoker is the way to go, but who has the time to constantly check the temperature, keep adding more wood, and so on.
Completely agree that’s why I have a gas grill, a charcoal grill and a charcoal smoker. I get to choose depending upon time factor. 👍👍👍
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Is That Blood?

Post by Is That Blood? »

Santas_101 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm There’s a phrase in life…is the juice worth the squeeze?? Well if you have the time time a wood smoker is the way to go, but who has the time to constantly check the temperature, keep adding more wood, and so on. In the end it’s just more convenient to have a gas or pellet grill. The ease of use and efficiency make it a no brainer.
Makes me wonder how some of the BBQ places that smoke meat do it. Getting up at 2am and having to micromanage a smoking process for 8, 10, 12 hrs. No way. I would cave in mentally and physically after a week. Thank god for flammable gasses!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Is That Blood? wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:53 am Makes me wonder how some of the BBQ places that smoke meat do it. Getting up at 2am and having to micromanage a smoking process for 8, 10, 12 hrs. No way. I would cave in mentally and physically after a week . . .
It's tough work but this is exactly what makes these places special.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ut_ron wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:43 am
Santas_101 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm There’s a phrase in life…is the juice worth the squeeze?? Well if you have the time time a wood smoker is the way to go, but who has the time to constantly check the temperature, keep adding more wood, and so on.
Completely agree that’s why I have a gas grill, a charcoal grill and a charcoal smoker. I get to choose depending upon time factor. 👍👍👍
Now that's some dedication! We're not allowed to have charcoal grills in our condo so it's gas-only for me.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Some things are worth the squeeze!!! I light my fire just around midnight. My brisket goes on at about 2.00 am and I keep the temperature alarm by my bed so I can keep the fire adjusted through the night. 12+ hours on the fire then a heat soak in a cooler until time to eat. Its a royal pita but oh so very worth it!
delmar

Post by delmar »

mauichef wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:37 pm Some things are worth the squeeze!!! I light my fire just around midnight. My brisket goes on at about 2.00 am and I keep the temperature alarm by my bed so I can keep the fire adjusted through the night. 12+ hours on the fire then a heat soak in a cooler until time to eat. Its a royal pita but oh so very worth it!
No doubt. The very reason I bought a pellet smoker with thermostat control. I no longer have to wake up to deal with it! It's admittedly lazy, but darn worth it!
epaulcdaid

Post by epaulcdaid »

Santas_101 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:34 pm I’ve spent the last few months trying to figure out what type of bbq I wanted. I looked at the Kamado and the Santa Maria style grills and wasn’t a fan of how heavy and how long it took to get hot, even though I love the flavor that charcoal imparts onto food. Therefore, I crossed that off the list and continued my search. I then looked at pellet style grills and was really impressed with the Yoder and Pitts N Spitts brands. They both used top notch raw materials and were made in the USA, but I just couldn’t see myself buying bag after bag of pellets and I don’t particularly care for smokey wood flavors on things like steak, shrimp, pork tenderloin, and other similar items. Thus, it led me to a gas grill, but I didn’t want just any typical big box gas grill. I went to my local bbq store and as I soon as I laid eyes on I knew I found what I was looking for. It was the Napolean Phantom Prestige 500 gas grill. It’s all black, it has 4 burners, stainless cast aluminum cooking grates, 80,000 btu’s, infrared sear side burner for searing red meat, and an included rotisserie. I’m in heaven. It gets delivered Friday.

For those of you who want to check it out here is the link:
https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/p ... bpmk-3-phm
Great choice. Napoleon makes top notch gas grills. Enjoy.