Restoring a rusty Masakage Mizu

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Restoring a rusty Masakage Mizu

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I got the worst-looking, rusty assed knife I've ever seen. The customer purchased our regular sharpening service and sent it in like this. I didn't even recognize it at first but it's a Masakage Mizu gyuto.

I was thinking about doing a restoration video and take it from its current state to a nice-looking knife again and video the steps. However, I don't know how to string videos together. Does anyone like to help me? I'll do some youtube research and try and figure it out but if someone knows where to point me that would be helpful.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
XexoX

Re: Help needed doing youtube editing

Post by XexoX »

Don't know nothin' about birthin' no youtube videos, but what the heck did they do to that knife? Run it through a dish washer? My stars!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I'll try using an app on my iPhone called Video Mixer. It looks pretty simple. Maybe I'll do a silent movie to make it easier.

He sent it protected with a black felt guard. I'm wondering if he put it in there soaking wet and the trapped water rusted it out?
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Mark, I have had knives rust in the felt guards next to knives not in the felt guard that didn’t rust.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:54 pm I'll try using an app on my iPhone called Video Mixer. It looks pretty simple. Maybe I'll do a silent movie to make it easier.

He sent it protected with a black felt guard. I'm wondering if he put it in there soaking wet and the trapped water rusted it out?
Don't know the specifics Mark but the conditions here on Long Island in July were the wettest and most humid I've seen in nearly 4 decades.

Don't know how it was packed etc. but if I'd left any of my reactive knives outside even covered by an enclosure I wouldn't be surprised if that's the way they turned out.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I scrubbed it with a rust remover block and some BKF and it’s looking better. I’ll finish the cleaning of the blade using my scotchbrite wheel next before sharpening it up.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:01 pm Mark, I have had knives rust in the felt guards next to knives not in the felt guard that didn’t rust.
Yeah, I've had recurring rust-issues with the felt-knife guards. I think even air-humidity makes it in there and gets trapped.

and I've since learnt to use them as travel-guards only, which they do very well, no scratches or anything

With regards to video editing, Windows 10 has a built-in basic video editor that's not too bad.
Adobe Premier Elements is a cheap option for $59, that is also pretty easy on a first time user, and allows for a few more tweaks.
However, with current phones and their apps, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find something good there.
If a 'fast-motion' option exists there then you'd be able to shoot the whole sequence of the cleaning (which you've done by now, but for future reference), and then introduce the basic motions/actions of the cleaning process, and 'fast-motion' through the repetitive stuff, only to slow down again for the next stage.

This video is a little long, but demonstrates the idea very well.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Altadan on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Mitch188

Post by Mitch188 »

Mark
If you use a program like Adobe Rush it should be quite simple to string videos together and trim them if need be. You can essentially drop and drag the video clips where you want them in the sequence. when finished you can export it in any format that YouTube allows. Adobe Premier RUSH is free.
Mitchell
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Restoring a rusty Masakage Mizu

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I used imovie to do merge the videos and it came out pretty well for the first try. I just need to work on getting everything in the shots. :)

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

I enjoyed your makeover. Well done Mark.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Thanks! :) It was fun.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Wow, with a set up like that, it's like you own a knife shop or something.
That seemed to go much quicker than I thought it would.
Good job.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I can see how it would be rewarding to bring that knife back to life. There is a lot of work and skill put into the knife repair, I hope it is taken care of in the future.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Altadan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:04 am
Bensbites wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:01 pm Mark, I have had knives rust in the felt guards next to knives not in the felt guard that didn’t rust.
Yeah, I've had recurring rust-issues with the felt-knife guards. I think even air-humidity makes it in there and gets trapped.

and I've since learnt to use them as travel-guards only, which they do very well, no scratches or anything

With regards to video editing, Windows 10 has a built-in basic video editor that's not too bad.
Adobe Premier Elements is a cheap option for $59, that is also pretty easy on a first time user, and allows for a few more tweaks.
However, with current phones and their apps, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find something good there.
If a 'fast-motion' option exists there then you'd be able to shoot the whole sequence of the cleaning (which you've done by now, but for future reference), and then introduce the basic motions/actions of the cleaning process, and 'fast-motion' through the repetitive stuff, only to slow down again for the next stage.

This video is a little long, but demonstrates the idea very well.

I hope this helps.
I have felt guards on most of my knives. It's been very humid and rainy here on the north shore of ma. I'm going to check them all. I also have the Takamura Chromax santoku. Hope that doesn't get damaged. I ususlly do oil them, which should help a little.
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Dan_Crubenew

Post by Dan_Crubenew »

Literally. Happened to my Kono MM last week. They were all in felt covers. Absolutely horrible rust right next to a Tanaka Seikiso and a Kamo W#2 that have no signs of rust. I was very upset, but I am interested to see how you get on with it Mark. Maybe I could glean a few tips on how to get my knife looking like it never happened.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Dan_Crubenew wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:24 pm
Literally. Happened to my Kono MM last week. They were all in felt covers. Absolutely horrible rust right next to a Tanaka Seikiso and a Kamo W#2 that have no signs of rust. I was very upset, but I am interested to see how you get on with it Mark. Maybe I could glean a few tips on how to get my knife looking like it never happened.
I did enjoy my Kono MM B#2, but that thing would not 'calm down' here in the humid coastal plains where I live :?
Back in Dallas we had constant AC on, and that kept things dry and dandy
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Dan_Crubenew wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:24 pm
Whenever a client knife comes into my workshop, I wrap it in a new piece of VCI paper then back in whatever holder/box/edge gaurd it came in.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Altadan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:34 am I did enjoy my Kono MM B#2, but that thing would not 'calm down' here in the humid coastal plains where I live :?
Back in Dallas we had constant AC on, and that kept things dry and dandy
I learn something new every day. I've always thought of a dry, very low humidity desert, where you live. Guess I need to challenge my perceptions more.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I had a cheap carbon dexter paring knife rust and get stuck in the felt cover from the rust. Environmental changes will do it every time! Great save Mark!
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

Extremely cool video! Thank you for sharing