Any tips on kitchen blowtorches?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Chappychap

Any tips on kitchen blowtorches?

Post by Chappychap »

Hi folks,

Remarkably, Mrs Chappy said yes to a kitchen blowtorch tonight, which I've wanted for about a year after pledging to be on a kitchen tools spending amnesty. So we are off to the races!

Any recommendations on models? Where do you store it? Trying to figure out how I can balance it being convenient to use spontaneously vs storing safely, in these hot summers and cold winters in Boston.

Thanks for any real world experience folks can share.

Chappy
ronnie_suburban

Re: Any tips on kitchen blowtorches?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Unless space is really an issue, I'd get a standard-sized blow torch. It won't be overkill and you'll have it for other tasks, whereas using a kitchen-designed blowtorch for other tasks often leaves you underpowered. I own and really like my Bluefire cylinders (and their self-igniting nozzle head) because the flame stays lit even when you hold it sideways or upside down. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones out there, though.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:15 pm Unless space is really an issue, I'd get a standard-sized blow torch. It won't be overkill and you'll have it for other tasks, whereas using a kitchen-designed blowtorch for other tasks often leaves you underpowered. I own and really like my Bluefire cylinders (and their self-igniting nozzle head) because the flame stays lit even when you hold it sideways or upside down. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones out there, though.
Like the Bernzomatic? I really want one but space may be an issue depending on where is safe to store it. Where do you store yours, Ronnie?
ronnie_suburban

Chappychap wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:30 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:15 pm Unless space is really an issue, I'd get a standard-sized blow torch. It won't be overkill and you'll have it for other tasks, whereas using a kitchen-designed blowtorch for other tasks often leaves you underpowered. I own and really like my Bluefire cylinders (and their self-igniting nozzle head) because the flame stays lit even when you hold it sideways or upside down. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones out there, though.
Like the Bernzomatic? I really want one but space may be an issue depending on where is safe to store it. Where do you store yours, Ronnie?
Yes, it appears so, though I'm not familiar with that brand. They look about right, though. I store my canisters in the garage, nozzle removed. That seems to be relatively safe and keep the contents of the canisters mostly intact.
=R=
atang

Post by atang »

What you looking to do with the torch?
The searzall attachments are quite fun for larger items like steaks and seafood. Searzall attachments can be found for both gas canisters and large propane tanks so if you have a propane grill, the hose attachment can hook right up to the tank and storage space would be rather minimal and weather conditions wouldn’t affect it much differently than normal. The canister attachment isn’t too cumbersome if you don’t want to be tethered to your gas grill.

The small bernzomatic nozzles are great for smaller things like scallops, degassing and caramelizing creme brulee, ganache, or even starting a campfire. Just about anything that doesn’t need a lot of direct heat over a LARGE surface area. Only a small/light duty jobs.

The type of gas you burn also has different flame temperatures so you have a little more flexibility if you’re buying canisters to control flame temps.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Thanks both. Intended uses would be things like:
- searing small to medium sized fish and meat (e.g. nigiri to fillets/steaks). Not looking to do anything large like a ham.
- charring vegetables
- desserts and fruit

I watched an Eater video and wasn't sure what to make of the Searzall, sounds like you've had some success with it Atang?

https://youtu.be/UDKz0NEW0J4
Last edited by Chappychap on Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

I like the benzomatic torches. The worst torch is the small butane torch that easily fits in a kitchen drawer. I tried one of those on a ham and it was taking forever. The scary thing was it got stuck in the on position and I had to throw it in the back yard. I still keep a fire extinguisher nearby for torches and frying turkeys.
atang

Post by atang »

Chappychap wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:21 am Thanks both. Intended uses would be things like:
- searing small to medium sized fish and meat (e.g. nigiri to fillets/steaks). Not looking to do anything large like a ham.
- charring vegetables
- desserts and fruit

I watched an Eater video and wasn't sure what to make of the Searzall, sounds like you've had some success with it Atang?

https://youtu.be/UDKz0NEW0J4

The bernzomatic is a great option for those uses. The searzall excels at the specific tasks mentioned in the video (nice find btw) and is accurately showcased in the demo.
The searzall is often used on meats that have been braised, poached sous vide, or confit (the key point here is they are already cooked) As we know cooking is applying heat for a specific time and intensity. The searzall might not be as fast but can cook a little more evenly and thoroughly on large items before the surface is burned (burned not char, char is good 8-)).
Ultimately your torch results will vary some depending if your [meat] ingredients are: raw&cold, raw&tempered, cooked&cold, cooked&hot, etc.

The distance of the flame tip to food makes a huge difference too. Farther apart and it cooks a little more evenly but too far apart you lose intensity. Closer flame tip to food sears faster but too close (food against the nozzle) and you lose heat (heat is dispersed around the food instead of at it) kind of like the iwatani in the video.
I’ve used the Iwatani too. Great for small items and holds a large long flame but as shown in the video the flame does have some “slack” unlike the bernzomatic. It’s not terrible, just harder to find that ‘distance’ sweet spot. I guess you still get what you pay for nowadays :)
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

TS8000 with a Searzall. Use the naked torch for bruleeing and charring, and the Searzall for melting cheese and broiling/searing meat and fish. Don't skimp on the torch head; you want the TS8K, not the 4K or something else. The Searzall requires a bit of technique to get down, and the video linked above doesn't really capture it. This video outlines the technique very well. In the Eater video, she's also using the wrong sort of propane tank for the Searzall. You want the green Coleman 1lb camping tanks, which are shorter and fatter than the taller, skinnier, Bernzomatic tanks. The taller tanks become top-heavy and wobbly with a Searzall attached, and are liable to tip over.

I like having a TS8000 and find uses for it around the house and when camping. If you need to char something or start a fire -- or even just brulee some sugar, it's great for that. The #1 thing I use the Searzall for is melting cheese. It is a cheese melting/toasting monster, and I love it. I don't use it that much for searing protein, but I don't really use torches for that purpose. I'm lucky enough to have gas and charcoal grills at my disposal, as well as outdoor burners to sear using using cast iron and carbon steel pans. But if you don't have outdoor searing options and don't have an indoor kitchen with adequate ventilation to sear without fear, torches can be really useful.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

This might be a little overkill.

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
MajorMajor

Post by MajorMajor »

btbyrd wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:01 pm TS8000 with a Searzall. Use the naked torch for bruleeing and charring, and the Searzall for melting cheese and broiling/searing meat and fish. Don't skimp on the torch head; you want the TS8K, not the 4K or something else. The Searzall requires a bit of technique to get down, and the video linked above doesn't really capture it. This video outlines the technique very well. In the Eater video, she's also using the wrong sort of propane tank for the Searzall. You want the green Coleman 1lb camping tanks, which are shorter and fatter than the taller, skinnier, Bernzomatic tanks. The taller tanks become top-heavy and wobbly with a Searzall attached, and are liable to tip over.

I like having a TS8000 and find uses for it around the house and when camping. If you need to char something or start a fire -- or even just brulee some sugar, it's great for that. The #1 thing I use the Searzall for is melting cheese. It is a cheese melting/toasting monster, and I love it. I don't use it that much for searing protein, but I don't really use torches for that purpose. I'm lucky enough to have gas and charcoal grills at my disposal, as well as outdoor burners to sear using using cast iron and carbon steel pans. But if you don't have outdoor searing options and don't have an indoor kitchen with adequate ventilation to sear without fear, torches can be really useful.
This is the setup you want. I also have this and it works great for lots of tasks, kitchen or otherwise.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Just pressed the button on a Bernzomatic with a Searzall! So excited for getting more out of sous vide with this especially! Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate it.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

btbyrd wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:01 pm TS8000 with a Searzall. Use the naked torch for bruleeing and charring, and the Searzall for melting cheese and broiling/searing meat and fish. Don't skimp on the torch head; you want the TS8K, not the 4K or something else. The Searzall requires a bit of technique to get down, and the video linked above doesn't really capture it. This video outlines the technique very well. In the Eater video, she's also using the wrong sort of propane tank for the Searzall. You want the green Coleman 1lb camping tanks, which are shorter and fatter than the taller, skinnier, Bernzomatic tanks. The taller tanks become top-heavy and wobbly with a Searzall attached, and are liable to tip over.

I'm late to the game but +1 to this.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

With the Searzall, be sure to use the squat Coleman-type camp stove propane cylinders, not the tall thin kind they sell with the torch. The tall ones are very unstable with the Searzall attached and they tip over easily. Not good after you’ve seared something and the Searzall is glowing red hot.

The camp stove cylinders are much more stable.
87DEF619-3ED2-4C23-991C-AC471AB3DA52.jpeg
87DEF619-3ED2-4C23-991C-AC471AB3DA52.jpeg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
ronnie_suburban

JASinIL2006 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm With the Searzall, be sure to use the squat Coleman-type camp stove propane cylinders, not the tall thin kind they sell with the torch. The tall ones are very unstable with the Searzall attached and they tip over easily. Not good after you’ve seared something and the Searzall is glowing red hot.

I never would have thought of this. I don't have gigantic hands and like the thinner canisters because they're easier to one-hand. But I love the idea of prioritizing stability and safety over ergonomics. Thanks.
=R=
MajorMajor

Post by MajorMajor »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:57 pm
JASinIL2006 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm With the Searzall, be sure to use the squat Coleman-type camp stove propane cylinders, not the tall thin kind they sell with the torch. The tall ones are very unstable with the Searzall attached and they tip over easily. Not good after you’ve seared something and the Searzall is glowing red hot.

I never would have thought of this. I don't have gigantic hands and like the thinner canisters because they're easier to one-hand. But I love the idea of prioritizing stability and safety over ergonomics. Thanks.
You'll hold it by the handle of the torch, not the cylinder anyway. There are also bases for the cylinders that provide additional stability.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Yeah having a base on those thin tanks can be very handy. I use a torch and the 14oz slimmer tanks a lot for work and use a base with mine.

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

Personally, with or without an extra base, there is no way I would use a tall thin tank with my Searzall. The combined unit is too tall and too top-heavy. The more the cylinder is depleted, the more top-heavy it becomes.

Using it with a camp stove cylinder, it is quite stable. I don’t see any reason to take a chance with the tall thin cylinders.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Chappychap wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:49 pm Just pressed the button on a Bernzomatic with a Searzall! So excited for getting more out of sous vide with this especially! Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate it.
I used to make parts of those bernzomatic torches at a plant in Danvers, Ma. Cherry Hill Park, Exit 21 on Rte. 128. Are you familiar with the north shore Chappy? Anyway, they get hotter easier because right at the top of the tank with the brass fitting that the torch tube attaches to is a piece of brass that I would mill with 3 heads simultaneously. It creates a swirl effect that gives you increased heat without heavy pressure and you get better control of heat and flame. It was called Wingaersheek back then but Burnzomatic bought them out basically for the swirl patent.
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:50 pm
Chappychap wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:49 pm Just pressed the button on a Bernzomatic with a Searzall! So excited for getting more out of sous vide with this especially! Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate it.
I used to make parts of those bernzomatic torches at a plant in Danvers, Ma. Cherry Hill Park, Exit 21 on Rte. 128. Are you familiar with the north shore Chappy? Anyway, they get hotter easier because right at the top of the tank with the brass fitting that the torch tube attaches to is a piece of brass that I would mill with 3 heads simultaneously. It creates a swirl effect that gives you increased heat without heavy pressure and you get better control of heat and flame. It was called Wingaersheek back then but Burnzomatic bought them out basically for the swirl patent.
No way, what a coincidence. That's pretty cool. Thanks for the info!