Chicago Reqs

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kalaeb

Chicago Reqs

Post by Kalaeb »

Gents, just got a new gig and stopping in Chicago tonight to take a new team for drinks, staying at 85 E. Wacker, can any of you local Chicago guys recommend a good place for drinks and or food near the area to take a group 5-6 people?
ronnie_suburban

Re: Chicago Reqs

Post by ronnie_suburban »

That's not a part of the city I spend a lot of time in and I'm not sure what's still open, fully open and/or open on Mondays but you're right near Gene & Georgetti, which is a cool, old school steak house. If you can get in, Bavette's (Hogsalt Group) is more neo-old school but great food and a really nice vibe. You could do worse than Smith & Wollensky but they have them everywhere, so I'm not sure it'd be a worthy stop. The Northman Beer & Cider Garden has a relatively new place on the Riverwalk. I've never been there but their now-shuttered original location in North Center was always a good time. Shaw's Crab House has a great, happy hour oyster program -- martinis and oysters! And if you must have deep dish, I think Lou Malnati's is currently the best option. I think there's a nearby location. I'd avoid Three Dots & A Dash. It's trash ever since Paul McGee left. I hope that helps.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ronnie is the expert. :)

If you want a nice casual place that is food centric The Purple Pig has some good food and it's fun. It's often packed so going a little off hours would be a good idea.

Roka Akor is where we had our party a couple of years ago and the food is good and they have a nice bar. I think you would enjoy it.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ronnie_suburban

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:39 am If you want a nice casual place that is food centric The Purple Pig has some good food and it's fun. It's often packed so going a little off hours would be a good idea.
Walk-in only also makes it a tough call but maybe the stars could align. They had a variety pretty ugly issues a few years ago that kind of soured me on the place a bit. But yes, their food was consistently good.
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:39 am Roka Akor is where we had our party a couple of years ago and the food is good and they have a nice bar. I think you would enjoy it.
Agreed. Food is way better there than it needs to be in that location. Good call.
=R=
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Hey guys, thanks for rec. Unfortunately the Roka Akor Chicago location is closed on Mondays right now.
I was going to recommend Avec, but I think they're closed today too. Maybe Big Star would be good (I haven't been in a while but I have always enjoyed the food and drinks there.)
The Publican could also be a good choice.
I think the new Jose Andres place, Jaleo, opened this week (Any time a place is new, it is a bit of a gamble if you'll get them at their best or worst).
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:11 pm
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:39 am If you want a nice casual place that is food centric The Purple Pig has some good food and it's fun. It's often packed so going a little off hours would be a good idea.
Walk-in only also makes it a tough call but maybe the stars could align. They had a variety pretty ugly issues a few years ago that kind of soured me on the place a bit. But yes, their food was consistently good.
They accept reservations now according to their website, but at peak dinner times (like after 6:30), they are booked out for a few weeks. Since the OP was looking for something tonight, not sure what the story is for walk-ins at the time he is thinking.

I'd say A) it's probably more of a sit-down place/have a limited bar area (at least the last time I was in) and B) the drinks skew heavily towards wine. But yea, the food was always really good
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I don't know what the issues were with the Purple Pig, but I've been there a number of times and it was always great. Avec is wonderful, too; too bad it's closed on Mondays.
ronnie_suburban

JASinIL2006 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:47 pm I don't know what the issues were with the Purple Pig . . .
They have been numerous and if you care, you can find plenty of information on line.
=R=
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Thanks for the reqs gents. Looks like I am ending up most of the week so I will definitely hit up Roka Akor.
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

Oh if you're on Wacker, over in Wicker Park there is a really good taco place called Antique Tacos. Best taco place in Chicago in my opinion, and you can get drinks there too. It's on N Milwaukee Ave
ronnie_suburban

If you're willing to venture the ~4 miles to Wicker, I'd also highly recommend Funkenhausen in West Town, which is actually a wee bit closer. Great food, solid bar and a really fun spot.
=R=
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Whenever I think about going to Chicago I get hungry.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:54 am If you're willing to venture the ~4 miles to Wicker, I'd also highly recommend Funkenhausen in West Town, which is actually a wee bit closer. Great food, solid bar and a really fun spot.
Realistically anything is a quick Uber. Half the people I work with now are in Chicago so it will be a new frequent stop.

Thank you for the recommendations.