What do folks do with their collections?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
sjwaud

What do folks do with their collections?

Post by sjwaud »

Purely out of curiosity's sake. As my little array of knives has grown over the last year, I expanded from one mag block to two. Now both are just about full. Personally I keep the one by my cutting board area stocked with the "daily driver" types... gyuto/santoku and petty/paring. And then the one that's more tucked away with the "specialty" types... bread, suji, honesuki.

I see pics of beautiful large knife collections, often with 10+ in the "chef's" category and wonder if people rotate those in and out of storage? Have them all conveniently accessible?
cliff

Re: What do folks do with their collections?

Post by cliff »

Yes.

No room for a mag block. I have a Japanese stand by my work area for knives I'm working with. I made my own in-drawer storage out of a bamboo box and some cork for things in rotation. Then there are boxes. Travel knives stay in a roll.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

I made a pair of fitted blocks out of MDF and hardboard spacers. The slot at the end is for the Shibata I’ve got coming.

Photo uploader no joy
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I rotate and tinker. I will usually make handles and sheaths; play with different edges and steels, but these days I am pretty selective with what I buy.
atang

Post by atang »

My special and/or “retired” pieces stay in storage. I keep the cck’s, victorinox’s and wustofs on heavy rotation at home since I’m not on the clock, I don’t really need the high performance stuff for my own dinners. I keep work pieces in the knife bag, ready to go. Space is still an issue for some reason.... A magnetic knife board can help gain back drawer space without needing counter space like a knife block. Maybe a large safe would be a good option 😄
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I made a 24" magnetic knife strip for the wall. It handles most of my knives (for the moment!), but I still keep a couple in a drawer and rotate them into circulation on occasion.
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

I have a big lockable Husky tool box at work with multiple drawers. It's packed full.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Sell em.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Nochop! wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:13 am I have a big lockable Husky tool box at work with multiple drawers. It's packed full.
Pictures!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

As a public service I am willing to take possession of everyone's knives. PM me and I'll tell you where to send.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Robstreperous wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:26 pmAs a public service I am willing to take possession of everyone's knives. PM me and I'll tell you where to send.
I'd bet you'd even be willing to pay for the shipping.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
jknife

Post by jknife »

I think some probably just bask in the glory of their collections (I'm looking at you Ray :shock: ). At least that's what I would be doing. :mrgreen: :D
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:31 amSell em.
To me...
A computer once beat me at chess, it was no match for me at Kickboxing.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

3 24 inch knife racks. They are full, and I need to get rid of old stuff so I can make more.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I keep room for 15 gyutos on the countertop, and they don't take up that much space. Currently, I try to limit my large-knife collection to about that to ensure I don't have anything sitting in the closet. In addition, I have a small mag rack which I use for my petty knives. I like that, even though I definitely use some knives more than others, they are all available and easy to monitor for rust, etc.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Pass them down to your children and grandchildren and let them get started in cooking with great tools!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Nochop! wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:13 am I have a big lockable Husky tool box at work with multiple drawers. It's packed full.
Chris, been looking at getting one of these...I have knives stored in random places. I thought I had a pic of your tool box, but can't find it.

What size is your box and how many knives are your getting in each drawer?
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

[Instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ_2l4pDtYc ... r4t9f4ltkt[/Instagram]

Heres a link. It's a 26" tool box. I have the newer version in my shop. They run about $135. Good, solid, ball bearing construction. I keep knives in two of the drawers. Stones and mandolins in the top. Smaller parers, etc...in the small drawers. Bigger tools in the bottom drawer.

It's packed. Probably close to 50 knives in the two drawers.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I would guess the question about what to do with your collection depends somewhat on you current age. I'm 76 years old and storing knives for too long I might forget where they are and what they are ;-) I don't like selling online so I'll use my collection until I can't cook any longer rotating my knives just to compare them. I still have all intentions to give my knives to family members that don't have the time to hunt for rare knives or the financial resources at the time to buy good quality blades. I pass them down to family members that have taken a liking to cooking and appreciate good kitchen tools and I hope that they will enjoy them for a long time. Teaching these folks to sharpen is another challenge but, I'm trying!