The Addict Lives

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jbart65

Re: The Addict Lives

Post by jbart65 »

I’ve got some thick knives, Nick, including my beloved Sekiso. It´s 53-55 tall with a fairly heavy custom Schroeder handle. Still just 7.5 oz. I tend to find knives a bit too heavier for me once they go above 7.7 oz or so.

The new Addict doesn’t actually look very thick from the photos. That’s why the weight surprised me. I wondered if it was in the handle.
Jeffry B
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

It's beefy at the spine and it's tall. I measured and it's 3.5mm at the spine/choil and all three were 8oz which is pretty much the same as the prototype.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:35 am It's beefy at the spine and it's tall. I measured and it's 3.5mm at the spine/choil and all three were 8oz which is pretty much the same as the prototype.
Sounds ideal to me.

I prefer a knife with a beefy spine and a thin edge. For me, it makes them super enjoyable to use.

My top users all fit in that similar weight/spine range:
Kamon-8.1, Rader, 8.5, Tansu-8.8...

The combination of the extra height on this one gave me no hesitation about pulling the trigger. Rounding and mirror polish on the spine and this should be beyond comfortable to use.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Thanks Mark. Sorry to be a pain!
Jeffry B
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

No pain at all. I would much rather you decide against a knife than get it and not like it. Returns are costly for us and the customer.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Miles

Post by Miles »

Well... all this waiting and talk made me pull the trigger. In in!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Geez, I could have sworn I just ordered mine this morning, yesterday afternoon at the earliest, but at 2:00 this afternoon the UPS guy dropped off a package. It is exactly what the description states, a tall, thick-spined, thin-edged blade. Love it! Balance point sits about an inch and a half forward of the heel, just slightly forward of where I pinch.

My edge length sits right at 241, above the heel she is 4.25mm, but at the pinch is 3mm, halfway is 2.4mm and drops to 2mm about 2 inches from the tip and maintains until it interacts with the grind.

The spine itself is comfortable and slightly rounded. It does not "need" any easing although I will likely polish mine.

The handle is well done although sits just a little far back, likely to help offset the balance.

Overall, out of the box, I am very impressed.

Here is a side by side with a Tansu with almost identical spine/weight specs:
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:18 pm Geez, I could have sworn I just ordered mine this morning, yesterday afternoon at the earliest, but at 2:00 this afternoon the UPS guy dropped off a package. It is exactly what the description states, a tall, thick-spined, thin-edged blade. Love it! Balance point sits about an inch and a half forward of the heel, just slightly forward of where I pinch.
I'm jealous, but I don't live close to CKTG. I should get mine week after next. Shipping out here to the wild, wild west takes time. Delivery people gotta fight off all those bandits, marauders, and restless natives, dontcha know. :roll: I did order a few other things as well, some bling, some scissors, etc..

Think I'll have to try it out on some cabbage. I'm going to make an "Asian" style coleslaw for the neighbor who is having hip replacement surgery next week.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:18 pm Geez, I could have sworn I just ordered mine this morning, yesterday afternoon at the earliest, but at 2:00 this afternoon the UPS guy dropped off a package. It is exactly what the description states, a tall, thick-spined, thin-edged blade. Love it! Balance point sits about an inch and a half forward of the heel, just slightly forward of where I pinch.

My edge length sits right at 241, above the heel she is 4.25mm, but at the pinch is 3mm, halfway is 2.4mm and drops to 2mm about 2 inches from the tip and maintains until it interacts with the grind.

The spine itself is comfortable and slightly rounded. It does not "need" any easing although I will likely polish mine.

The handle is well done although sits just a little far back, likely to help offset the balance.

Overall, out of the box, I am very impressed.

Here is a side by side with a Tansu with almost identical spine/weight specs:
I gave my UPS driver $20 to drive it directly over to you. ;)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
PotatoChaser

Post by PotatoChaser »

Looks like it'd make a great compliment in my collection! Pretty blade!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Well, mine arrived today, so I'll be chopping up some cabbage tonight.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Well, used mine new Addict this afternoon. Went through the cabbage like a dream. Made Asian Style Coleslaw, but gave it all to the neighbor lady who is recovering from hip replacement surgery. Next time I'll get a picture.
Miles

Post by Miles »

Mine just arrived and posted in Show us your new knife. This is a fun one. Its got a nice grind to it, it’s not crazy thin behind the edge but it’s got a pretty high grind and feels good going through carrots and apples. Its got a little bit of a shoulder to maybe help w food separation. It’s so fwd heavy it feels like you’re welding a powerful weapon. I don’t doubt that this is a cabbage slayer. I like the taper on it from handle to the middle and wish that it had a bit more thru the tip- small quibble. I have plenty of lighter 240s so this and my Mazaki got something different going on. It should be nicknamed the Richmond Beast. If you want both girth and weight this is for you.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Wow, Mark hasn't raised the price from the 2 day special sale. Order before his takes it off sale and save $30.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Just took down a ~20-pound watermelon with mine. Love that you can go at removing the rind swiftly and without concern for the blade, then grid-cut the innards precisely into cubes with virtually zero seepage. 'Tis a fine, fine blade.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I'm just saying this knife is definitely a knife that punches way above its price class!
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Thanks guys!

Please consider leaving a review on the item page if you own one of these. ;)

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2tagy24.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 am Thanks guys!

Please consider leaving a review on the item page if you own one of these. ;)

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2tagy24.html
I've missed placed my at the moment, but it is suppose to rain all weekend, so I'll be in the house looking. I've used it once, but I'll break it out and give it a spin, so to speak, on the cutting board.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Of course the Addict lives, but I am considering rehab... :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Miles

Post by Miles »

It's a great knife out-of-the-box, but folks that are into tweaking their gear- it's a good one for it. I wanted more race car. Here's where i'm at after about 4 sessions on sandpaper (8-10hrs). click on right of pict to see more 4 images total

The choil pict doesnt look that much better than the CKTG shot, but it's is -> 1cm above the edge OTB is about 1.5mm, i'm down to 1.3mm. A reference is a 2020 fujiyama is 1.07 :shock: Eventually my goal is to get it to 1.2mm or slightly under. it really goes to show how good of a sharpener Naohito is. Full transparency I'm a noob to doing this- I've only performance thinned a half doz knives. The grind had very few low spots and was the one of the most even of the knives i've attempted thinning. The performance difference is obvious and so too is increase in product stickiness (not that bad).

It aint pretty, but I'm happy. probably am more attached to it because of the "IKEA effect".

here's when i bought it