Western w2 differentially hardened gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
nakneker

Western w2 differentially hardened gyuto

Post by nakneker »

I’m excited!!

Ordered a Western Honyaki Gyuto from Carter. I couldn’t wait any longer, I’ve read too many positive comments. I’ve seen to many neat pictures and I’ve read many of the posts on this thread. Placed my ordered and off we go. I’ll post the knife when it’s finished! Basically a 245x51 heel, medium grind, western handle, fun! He showed me several examples of scales, ended up going with cocobolo scales and saya. I think Steve, aka pd7077 here, is taking the dive too. Thanks Carter!!
Last edited by nakneker on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
mauichef

Re: Western w2 Honyaki gyuto

Post by mauichef »

Oh my! Sounds really cool Sean. Looking forward to seeing it.
Love the western handle option.

I'm stoked Carter is now doing W2.

Interesting that you are calling it Honyaki.
I know honyaki need to be differentially hardened, which these are.
But some people think they need to be hammered into shape not cut from a bar stock. Even though that bar is "technically" forged.
There seems to be some confusion over the use of the terms honyaki and zen-ko when describing these blades.
What say you Carter? Is it a honyaki or a zen-ko?
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

mauichef wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:02 am Oh my! Sounds really cool Sean. Looking forward to seeing it.
Love the western handle option.

I'm stoked Carter is now doing W2.

Interesting that you are calling it Honyaki.
I know honyaki need to be differentially hardened, which these are.
But some people think they need to be hammered into shape not cut from a bar stock. Even though that bar is "technically" forged.
There seems to be some confusion over the use of the terms honyaki and zen-ko when describing these blades.
What say you Carter? Is it a honyaki or a zen-ko?
Just to be clear, I don't believe that Carter has ever specifically called them honyaki. I know that in his earlier posts Carter referred to them as being differentially hardened. Ironically, this was a topic of conversation that he and I had a few weeks ago when I first started the process of placing my order with him. Purists will play the semantics game, and they will argue about how culture and tradition should come into play when using the term honyaki. I totally understand where they are coming from. I've seen many western makers refer to their differentially hardened knives as honyaki. I don't have a problem with that either. What is apparent is that the line that differentiates a honyaki from a differentially hardened knife has been blurred. Maybe this is due to the massive influx of new people getting into JKs that don't know the terminology as well as the vets. Maybe it's due to complacency & laziness; it's easier to say honyaki than differentially hardened. My guess is that Sean probably started this thread to help chronicle his first project with Carter and to give us some insight into the whole process rather than to debate the intricacies of the terms honyaki, zenko (stamped), and differentially hardened. I'm looking forward to this thread, and I wouldn't mind if Carter included my knife as well. One thing is for certain...Carter makes fantastic knives, and I always have fun doing projects with him. You're in for a treat, Sean!!!

Question: Are gluten-free donuts really donuts? :lol:
--- Steve
nakneker

Re: Western w2 differentially hardened gyuto

Post by nakneker »

I’ll be the first to admit that my seven months of J knifes hasn’t given me a ton of experience or understanding in terminology. Thus, I went back and edited the thread to “differentially hardened” in the hopes that the thread can focus on why I created it in the first place. I’m excited to do a w2 knife with Carter, pretty simple. Carter mentioned that he may start a thread to share the experience of building my knife and Steve’s. I hope he does, I think many of us would enjoy it.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I apologize for the derailing of the thread.
It was not intended as a rebuke of the knife. Carter or anyone else.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Interesting. I don't think I have ever seen a full tang diff. hard. knife. Should be cool, can't wait to see some pics. It has me wondering, when doing the hardening, do you dampen the entire tang, or harden the tang and still only soften the spine area?
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

pd7077 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:00 am Question: Are gluten-free donuts really donuts? :lol:
The answer has to be no haha!

I’m interested in seeing how this turns out too. I have a 247 KS profile from Carter and it’s one of my favorites. I’ve been looking for an excuse to get something else from him. Maybe it’ll be something in “differentially hardened” W2...
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

mauichef wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:38 am I apologize for the derailing of the thread.
It was not intended as a rebuke of the knife. Carter or anyone else.
No worries Ray, I know it wasn’t intentional. It should be a fun thread. I’m excited.
Carter

Post by Carter »

I have been busy today and this is the first opportunity I have had to respond. Let me say right off the bat, no one did or said anything that is offensive and I hope all you guys are good...I am. I have personally spoken with Sean and Ray today and I think we are ready to move on and focus on the knife build. If you guys want, we can start a new thread about honyaki technicalities in the General Forum...might be interesting.

First off, thanks to Sean for starting this thread, and for ordering a knife that I am excited to work on. Also thanks to Steve, I will be building a knife for him as well. Both Sean and Steve have graciously let me document the build process of their knives. The last time I did a documentation was the Slab Town Pizza 3 Anryu Handle Project in the Old Forum (https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/set ... 10709.html), it was a very popular thread.

Now regarding the term honyaki. It is not a term that I would use for my knives, it sounds pretentious, and maybe my knives aren't honyaki because they are not tamahagane steel or due to the fact that they are not forged. They are built in a honyaki fashion of being monosteel that is differentially hardened and quenched in water or oil. The people that buy my knives know they are made in the honyaki style, so I do not need to state it, I refer to them as differentially hardened monosteel blades.

Matt brings up an interesting point, and one that I had not given any thought to....my initial thought is that I will not clay the tang area. I have had two knifes crack in the curve of the choil....kind of want to keep the clay a little ways away from that area and sweeping up into the handle.

I am excited about this project and have a commitment for two knives, and possibly a third. I will likely make four blade blanks....if anyone else is interested....now is the time to let me know.

Again, I appreciate the feedback from you guys the lively conversation and differing viewpoints is good...that is how we learn. The nice thing about our Forum and the people associated with it, is that for the most part everyone plays nicely.....Let the fun begin, I will probably start posting in the next few days.

Below is a teaser pic, it is the initial prototype...we are going to make some adjustments to the handle area, but this is version #1 and it will be the template for the build going forward. At this point it has been profiled and has been through normalizing in the kiln...4 different heating segments of 1,600F down to 1,425F and air cooled between sessions.

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I'm really grateful for the input and kind words from you, Sean and Steve.

I think I may start a new thread on the subject.
It is kind of nerdish but what the hell.

Meanwhile that profile looks so nice Carter.
I see you have reshaped the tip area a bit and I like it.
Whatever it's called I want one and am very excited for you in this new endeavor.

I also love that it's a Western.
Not enough of those around IMO.

Have great weekend everyone.
Aloha!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Carter wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:19 pm I have been busy today and this is the first opportunity I have had to respond. Let me say right off the bat, no one did or said anything that is offensive and I hope all you guys are good...I am. I have personally spoken with Sean and Ray today and I think we are ready to move on and focus on the knife build. If you guys want, we can start a new thread about honyaki technicalities in the General Forum...might be interesting.

First off, thanks to Sean for starting this thread, and for ordering a knife that I am excited to work on. Also thanks to Steve, I will be building a knife for him as well. Both Sean and Steve have graciously let me document the build process of their knives. The last time I did a documentation was the Slab Town Pizza 3 Anryu Handle Project in the Old Forum (https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/set ... 10709.html), it was a very popular thread.

Now regarding the term honyaki. It is not a term that I would use for my knives, it sounds pretentious, and maybe my knives aren't honyaki because they are not tamahagane steel or due to the fact that they are not forged. They are built in a honyaki fashion of being monosteel that is differentially hardened and quenched in water or oil. The people that buy my knives know they are made in the honyaki style, so I do not need to state it, I refer to them as differentially hardened monosteel blades.

Matt brings up an interesting point, and one that I had not given any thought to....my initial thought is that I will not clay the tang area. I have had two knifes crack in the curve of the choil....kind of want to keep the clay a little ways away from that area and sweeping up into the handle.

I am excited about this project and have a commitment for two knives, and possibly a third. I will likely make four blade blanks....if anyone else is interested....now is the time to let me know.

Again, I appreciate the feedback from you guys the lively conversation and differing viewpoints is good...that is how we learn. The nice thing about our Forum and the people associated with it, is that for the most part everyone plays nicely.....Let the fun begin, I will probably start posting in the next few days.

Below is a teaser pic, it is the initial prototype...we are going to make some adjustments to the handle area, but this is version #1 and it will be the template for the build going forward. At this point it has been profiled and has been through normalizing in the kiln...4 different heating segments of 1,600F down to 1,425F and air cooled between sessions.

Well said Carter. Thanks for sharing the whole build process. Let the fun begin!!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

mauichef wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:39 pm I'm really grateful for the input and kind words for you, Sean and Steve.

Whatever it's called I want one and am very excited for you in this new endeavor.

Aloha!
I agree Ray, I like the profile mucho mucho. I only have a couple westerns, I’m excited for this knife and appreciate Carter’s enthusiasm.

I hope Maui treats you well this weekend. Grab a fruity drink and enjoy a wave or two for me please!!
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

mauichef wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:39 pm I'm really grateful for the input and kind words for you, Sean and Steve.

Aloha!
Totally agree, Ray. I’ve been looking for a diff hardened western for a while, and since I’ve been fortunate enough to handle a few of Carter’s knives, I felt like this was the perfect opportunity for me to finally snag one. Carter and I have been emailing for the past few days in order to refine the handle dimensions a bit, and I think that we came up with something that I will really love.
--- Steve
Carter

Post by Carter »

Sean asked about wood choices that would be suitable for a matching handle and saya. Shown here are Amazon rosewood, cocobolo, ebony, snakewood, and teak. He chose cocobolo.

FYI....I just finished the cocobolo nakiri, it 52100 and is 180mm long...it is for sale, just haven't posted it yet.

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Love that western Carter. I can see that with ebony looking very smart and tux like!
What is the gold?
Carter

Post by Carter »

mauichef wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 am Love that western Carter. I can see that with ebony looking very smart and tux like!
What is the gold?
The bottowm gyuto??? Snakewood w/ brass.

Here is a western in an ebony tux.

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Carter wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:14 pm
mauichef wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 am Love that western Carter. I can see that with ebony looking very smart and tux like!
What is the gold?
The bottowm gyuto??? Snakewood w/ brass.

Here is a western in an ebony tux.

Now you're cooking with gas!!!!!
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

🤔
How about Di-Hard monosteel?
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I have started a new thread about Honyaki so please visit there to post further comments on this subject.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7605
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

mauichef wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 pm I have started a new thread about Honyaki so please visit there to post further comments on this subject.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7605
I like this!