As if I need another knife.....

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
7x57mm@gmail.com

As if I need another knife.....

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

SOoooooooo....I've been using my CCK veggie cleaver the last few days and realized how much I like a tall blade. I found a Youtube chef named Wang Gong (by accident), saw how he held the Chinese chef knife and it made all the difference in feel and comfort. For the lack of a better description, he holds the knife with an upside down "peace sign" grip using the index and middle finger. For me, it really changed my appreciation for the Chinese veggie cleaver. But I digress....

I still much prefer a standard gyuto for general home use meal prep. What I "think" I would like, if it exists, is a tall, 210mm gyuto in W#2 or B#2, cladded in stainless that cuts and performs like my Anryu B#2 hammered. It must also have an octagonal handle. By tall I mean 55mm'ish.

If the Anryu was 55mm at the heel and had an octagonal handle, I'd be in tall cotton.
yummycrackers

Re: As if I need another knife.....

Post by yummycrackers »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:25 pm SOoooooooo....I've been using my CCK veggie cleaver the last few days and realized how much I like a tall blade. I found a Youtube chef named Wang Gong (by accident), saw how he held the Chinese chef knife and it made all the difference in feel and comfort. For the lack of a better description, he holds the knife with an upside down "peace sign" grip using the index and middle finger. For me, it really changed my appreciation for the Chinese veggie cleaver. But I digress....

I still much prefer a standard gyuto for general home use meal prep. What I "think" I would like, if it exists, is a tall, 210mm gyuto in W#2 or B#2, cladded in stainless that cuts and performs like my Anryu B#2 hammered. It must also have an octagonal handle. By tall I mean 55mm'ish.

If the Anryu was 55mm at the heel and had an octagonal handle, I'd be in tall cotton.
It's not quite what you're looking for, but I have a 210mm gyuto by Shiro Kamo which is about 51mm tall and I imagine it would be quite similar to the Anryu (maybe slightly thinner behind the edge, from what I've read). It's stainless clad AS, though, as opposed to W#2 or B#2 and I don't know if he still makes them.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Maybe check out Takeda? It's in AS. Sharpening is different than most other knives because of the way he sets the bevel, but not because the steel is so difficult. I don't have an Anryu, but I wonder if Takeda's S-grind, which is great for food release, might have a passing similarity.

Other possibilities, Matsubara, Watanabe, Toyama
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I think this is pretty close. This is high on my list for next knife. The video is enticing also.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mabl2nagy21.html
Last edited by stevem627 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Shiro Kamo White #2 Gyuto 210mm
White steel and 55mm tall, there you go...

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkawh2gy21.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Maybe a bit longer than you want but name says it all: Kohetsu B#2 Tall Gyuto
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

The Kohetsu gets fairly thin, yet will it "cut and perform" like an Anryu? Maybe not. That rules out Takedas, which are very thin and tall above the bevel but which have a shoulder and wedge in hard ingredients like carrots that Anryus fall through. (Love mine in big softer product like cabbage, but an Anryu it ain't.)

Aside from the fact that the Shiro Kamo Jeff suggests is out of stock at the moment, judging from the choil shot, specs, and Echizen pedigree that looks like it fits the bill.
David
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:25 pm Shiro Kamo White #2 Gyuto 210mm
White steel and 55mm tall, there you go...

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkawh2gy21.html
Above - Shiro Kamo in Shirogami :)
Below - Shiro Kamo in Aogami, almost 55mm, too
You're welcome

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkabl2migy2.html
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
cliff

Post by cliff »

I'll pile on to the Shiro Kamo recs. How could I forget? He's perfect.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Knife Bros....thank you for all of the suggestions 👍
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Wish I'd gotten here sooner. Yeppp..... The Shiro Kamo W2 .... I love that knife. One of the best values Mark carries IMHO.

The only thing I'm going to mention .... because you mentioined cleaver and veggie prep.... is I find it to be very much a rockers profile. Long sweep in the edge to heel geometry.. If you're looking for a chopper it's definitely not the knife I'd recommend. If you're a rocker or don't care you'll love it. Push cutter? It works.

You also mentioned you wanted stainless clad. It isn't but I didn't find the cladding to be terribly reactive to begin with and over time it's settled further.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Robstreperous...I am definitely more of a push cutter than anything else but I do rock cut (think scallions and garlic). Thank you for your insight 👍 I was content using the same German knife for 30+ years and now look at the granular nit-picky person I have become, LOL.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:13 pm Robstreperous...I am definitely more of a push cutter than anything else but I do rock cut (think scallions and garlic). Thank you for your insight 👍 I was content using the same German knife for 30+ years and now look at the granular nit-picky person I have become, LOL.
I think you’ll like it.

Over the last year or so I’ve found my style adapts to the knife I’m using and whatever it is I’m cutting. It wasn’t a conscious thing. It just happened.

It’s been great. So many more knives I can use to their best advantage. So much fun! —— Obvioulsy that’s an enthusiast talking not a pro!
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:16 pm
7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:13 pm Robstreperous...I am definitely more of a push cutter than anything else but I do rock cut (think scallions and garlic). Thank you for your insight 👍 I was content using the same German knife for 30+ years and now look at the granular nit-picky person I have become, LOL.
I think you’ll like it.

Over the last year or so I’ve found my style adapts to the knife I’m using and whatever it is I’m cutting. It wasn’t a conscious thing. It just happened.

It’s been great. So many more knives I can use to their best advantage. So much fun! —— Obvioulsy that’s an enthusiast talking not a pro!
YOur words really hit home here. I spent 20 yrs. using a $10. knife and now I research and measure and research some more for just what I hope will work best for me. Then a cleaver comes along and I buy it in a blink! Thanks for the youtube tip 7x57, I'll have to check out that grip on my new Tabata Hamono Kiri Cleaver!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."