Takayuki AS Hammered Gyuto 210

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
AlexZin

Takayuki AS Hammered Gyuto 210

Post by AlexZin »

Hi guys,

What do you think about Takayuki AS Hammered Gyuto 210 ? It very nice looking knife and appealing price. But I cannot not find many reviews and recommendations on this blade and the blacksmith. Is not popular for a reason ?
How is this knife vs more famous gyutos (similar price range and steel/construction):
Anryu AS Gyuto 210, https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anasgy21.html
Kurosaki AS Gyuto 210, https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kuasgy21.html
Yoshimi Kato AS Gyuto 210, https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawa21.html

Thanks a lot for your input.
stevem627

Re: Takayuki AS Hammered Gyuto 210

Post by stevem627 »

The unfortunate reality anymore is that the availability of knives is becoming a big issue. I’d recommend any Anryu knife if you see one available since I love the two I have. I waited a long time and bought two from another vendor because they were seldom available any place. I finally got a 240 here but that was after looking (quite a while back) for basically almost a year.

Takayuki knives are more commonly available and are great knives.
Last edited by stevem627 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Yes, availability will be a big issue. I think Kurosaki restocks a little more often than Anryu, but, even there, you'll likely have to be patient. I've never used the Takayuki, so I can't make a direct comparison. I really like my Kurosaki, especially the grind and balance -- though mine is a 270. My 270 is very, very thin behind the edge. I wouldn't quite call it a laser, but laser-ish.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

They all have same steel, stainless cladding, rhc 62, only the Takayuki doesn't have ku finish, that's a plus. It's also a little cheaper than the others and easier to get. Now find someone who owns one and get the details on grind, food release, etc. If those reviews are good, this is a great knife that's readily available. Someone chime in here who owns one please!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I have two different Takayukis: A ginsan nashiji paring knife and a Ginsan damascus 240 chefs. The grinds on these two knives rival the best of what I own.

Personally I’d have no reservations about picking one up.

The only other brand on your list I’ve tried is Anryu. I have the hammered blue gyuto, the w2 kurouchi gyuto and honesuki. If you can find one grab it. Haven’t tried the AS but I’m sure it’s outstanding as well.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:03 pm ...the Takayuki doesn't have ku finish...
Uh...wut... :?

That Takayuki line actually hasn't been offered by Mark for very long ergo the lack of reviews. I have no personal experience with that knife but think highly of Takayuki in general. They have a rich history and good reputation.
I've used the other three you've listed and all are excellent knives that will serve you well. They all come out of Takefu Village and have very similar characteristics.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Why is it you find such joy in pointing out the mistakes of others? I notice you didn't pint out the Kato knife that didn't.Thank you so much. Question, do you think that finish hinders food release? So many knives have it, I don't personally like its look most of the time but aesthetics aside what do you think? i have 4 Daovua knives including 2 cleavers which I'm in the process of removing said finish. I can tell you they look much better with that fine carbon steel shing bright! Especially the piranha cleaver, my favorite. I shall post pics when completed.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:02 pm Why is it you find such joy in pointing out the mistakes of others? I notice you didn't pint out the Kato knife that didn't.Thank you so much. Question, do you think that finish hinders food release? So many knives have it, I don't personally like its look most of the time but aesthetics aside what do you think? i have 4 Daovua knives including 2 cleavers which I'm in the process of removing said finish. I can tell you they look much better with that fine carbon steel shing bright! Especially the piranha cleaver, my favorite. I shall post pics when completed.
Taking joy in the little things is the spice of life. And I'm sure Jeff enjoys a pint now and then, but I doubt he pints out very often.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

I have the Anryu AS, which is thinner than my Anryu B2, has a kurouchi finish, and is a fantastic performer. Laser-like lack of resistance in the cut yet decent release, partially because of his particular ku and the tsuchime, or hammered finish. The problem is that it's very hard to get your hands on one.

Honestly, the Takayuki you're looking at Alex looks similar. As long as you don't mind a very thin spine and edge, I'd say, along with others, go for it.

Also I do think all of us who take this enterprise seriously have an interest in correcting each other's factual errors. We should all be nice but if we take this seriously it's about getting the information out there. I know I do my share of that and I'm happy to hear it when I make a mistake.
David
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

That's a gorgeous knife (I have been considering buying their Kengata). I'm going to give you a bit of unasked for advice. All the knives that Mark sells are excellent and there's not a big price difference between the ones you are looking at so just buy whatever knife you really want. Are you a professional chef with very specific needs or are just looking for a nice knife for around the house use? If the latter, then you have more options that you'll ultimately be happy with.

If you are very particular about a brand you might either have to wait for a long time or go with a different vendor. I was on Mark's waiting list for months for a Kurosaki Fujin AS and I checked my e-mail an hour after I was notified that it came in and it was already sold out (Mark had a santoku in that I bought for my brother but not the gyuto that I wanted). So after many months of waiting I decided to go with a different vendor that had my second choice knife available with a custom handle, but it cost noticeably more. So basically, decide what you want, how long you are willing to wait, and if you want to pay a premium to shop elsewhere.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:02 pm Why is it you find such joy in pointing out the mistakes of others? I notice you didn't pint out the Kato knife that didn't.Thank you so much. Question, do you think that finish hinders food release? So many knives have it, I don't personally like its look most of the time but aesthetics aside what do you think? i have 4 Daovua knives including 2 cleavers which I'm in the process of removing said finish. I can tell you they look much better with that fine carbon steel shing bright! Especially the piranha cleaver, my favorite. I shall post pics when completed.
Maybe I could have been more tactful in my response. It's not that I find joy in pointing out mistakes it's that I try to correct misinformation when it's posted, it helps everyone. And yes I did miss the misinformation posted about the Kato finish or I would have pointed that out too. Not for the pleasure of pointing out someone's mistake but to clear up any confusion. It's not that I was going though fact checking everything in every post, the Takayuki was the main subject of the OP and that is just what caught my attention. And yes I too over the years have posted misinformation and have been quickly corrected. I don't take offense at it I welcome it because I learn something more myself. I am far from perfect and this is not personal to me.

As far as finish and food release, you never really know if the finish will help or hinder food release until you try a knife. The only consistent I have found over the years is that a hammered finish usually helps. Kurouchi can go either way because not all are created equal. Sometimes it appears to help and sometimes it causes lots of drag and grabbing and food will still ride up the blade. I find the same is true with Kasumi finishes.
The geometry of the knife contributes more to food release more than the finish. S grinds, concave grinds and grinds with a really well done convexing give the best food release regardless of finish. Reducing the surface area of the knife's face that the food touches greatly affects release. Even your technique can play a big role in food release.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

After I complete the finish removal on the Daovua piranha cleaver I intend to do something to minimize how much surface contact occurs when cutting. Not sure which way to go, still new at this stuff but I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am Not sure which way to go, still new at this stuff but I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.
Sounds like some thinning might be in order but probably worth pictures and more discussion in another thread.
David
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I’d like to see some pictures of the Daovua knives with the finish removed and polished if you can find the time. If you decide to do it, please start another thread so it will be easily found by people looking at Daovua knives.
beanbag

Post by beanbag »

Are these the same knives as the OP is asking about? (Maybe with different handle and finish?)
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haashagy21.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tsassagy21.html
silylanjie

Post by silylanjie »

beanbag wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:00 pm Are these the same knives as the OP is asking about? (Maybe with different handle and finish?)
As Jeff stated those knives are made by different makers than the Takayuki knives which is manufacture by Aoki Hamono. The ones in the link are made by Hokiyama located in Kochi Prefecture. I actually won't be surprise if it actually source from Hokiyama as well.
Wilson - Just an retired sushi chef
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

beanbag wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:00 pm Are these the same knives as the OP is asking about? (Maybe with different handle and finish?)
Both of those knives are from the Tosa region and many makers from Tosa sell knives to Sakai companies(like Sakai Takayuki) so it is ~possible~ that these are all the same knife.
paul6001

Post by paul6001 »

I picked up a 240mm version about a year ago. It instantly shot to the top of my chart and has been in heavy rotation ever since. Love the way it cuts, love the way it looks.

I got my knife as part of a strange trade so I’m not an expert on prices but I believe that $195 for a 210mm is a VERY good price.

This probably won’t come as news to many forum members but this was my first AS knife. It is noticeably harder to sharpen than the White No. 2 most of my knives are made from. And while the knife holds an edge like a champ, I heard all kinds of stories about only needing to sharpen it twice a year. Whoever is saying that must have a very different definition of “sharp” than I do.

Note that I’ve always heard of this brand called Sakai Takayuki. Google tends to be quite literal so that may explain some of the in difficulty finding one.